Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-29-2018, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Resurrecting Mbox PT LE (Win XP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
I thought this has been going on for awhile now....
I believe legal action was threatened since the 1970s but didn't eventuate until about 2015. Led Zepellin won the initial legals case in 2016 but there have been legal appeals. This last appeal was upheld a few months ago and so a new trial is to be held.

The original song "Taurus" by Spirit released in 1968.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8lFJWNgowo

The question is did Purcell and Back arrive at similar melody lines several centuries ago?
There has to be a clear case of plagiarism such as the Joe Satriani and Cold Play copyright legal case that involved 3 identical chords with one chord altered slightly and the melody played in exactly the same tempo. As well as Cold Play essentially singing the lyrics in the same phrasing as Satriani's guitar solo bit. Compare Viva La Vida by ColdPlay with If I could fly by Joe Satriani.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb49QuPLuHg
Old 12-04-2018, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Already answered that...

Get Pro Tools with an education discount... If you really want to expose them to Pro Tools.

Mbox replacement... Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Look at the 2i2 and see if it will do what you need. Take Christopher's offer or buy one locally with no shipping/import hassles.
I may go for one of the Focusrite scarlett range - the 6i6 sells for about $325 in Australia.

Browsing the internet on operational issues with Focusrite, I have found some users claiming stable operation using the MAC OS but some problems with Windows OS.

What is focusrite like with driver support and their interfaces working on Windows OS's ? Any assistance there?

Having this problem with the MBox, I dont want similar issues when Windows upgrades its OS in the future. (Although I do have access to a MAC laptop, my main PC and laptop run on Windows 10)
Old 12-04-2018, 08:53 AM

Unfortunately, Focusrite's Windows drivers are hit and miss. Take a look at Steinberg or Mackie or others and see if they have enough I/O for you. Check Sweetwater and others and audio magazines for reviews only as I know you're in Oz.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-04-2018, 09:10 AM

Default Resurrecting Mbox PT LE (Win XP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Unfortunately, Focusrite's Windows drivers are hit and miss..

Haha windows xp and Focusrite drivers are what made me switch to a Mac back in 2008. Horrible horrible

Hey maybe it’s better now? Maybe not. At least you can’t say that you weren’t warned
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, Focusrite's Windows drivers are hit and miss. Take a look at Steinberg or Mackie or others and see if they have enough I/O for you. Check Sweetwater and others and audio magazines for reviews only as I know you're in Oz.
Thanks Weed mate.
I like the Focusrite range but if they have issues with Windows drivers, I may put the purchase of the 6i6 on hold until I have looked into other options.

I prefer the Pro Tools format because I am familiar with how it works and its abilities. Also, a few of my musical friends use Pro Tools and we sometimes throw files back and forth for feedback and experimentation. I plan to buy two interfaces - one for the student's new recording studio at the school and one for my own use.

cheers
Old 12-04-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Haha windows xp and Focusrite drivers are what made me switch to a Mac back in 2008. Horrible horrible

Hey maybe it’s better now? Maybe not. At least you can’t say that you weren’t warned
Some companies are better than others at providing long term support for their products, drivers, add ons, accessories etc,.

I am assuming that the Focusrite interfaces, introduced the 2nd generation interfaces because of Windows stability and compatibility problems??

More research needed
Old 12-05-2018, 10:10 AM

Some of the best drivers are RME. Unfortunately, their interfaces are far from inexpensive. I did have some issues after first using my UFX, but solved them. See this thread.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-05-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Some of the best drivers are RME. Unfortunately, their interfaces are far from inexpensive. I did have some issues after first using my UFX, but solved them. See this thread.
Had a quick browse of RME interfaces and as you say they are pricey high end stuff - out of my price range (at the moment). Impressive specs on the gear though.

I am leaning towards one of the Focusrite scarlet interfaces, but need to sort out any potential issues with running Windows/Pro Tools.

cheers