Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2020, 03:35 PM

Default Re: MTRX-> HDX or MTRX->Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrelandM View Post
I have considered upgrading to a base MRTX with Dante card would the optional AES I/O card be required to use AES67 Ravenna or going the MTRX Studio route with a Dante Controller/Dante Via software.
You don't need the AES I/O card to use Dante. You do need the Dante card in the base MTRX; it is built into the MTRX Studio. You can choose between AES67 or Dante, but note that AES67 mode on Dante chipsets is limited to 48k at this time.

Quote:
Luke ''Would I choose it again now probably not'' like to explain via the forum or through email.
Well, I only needed 16 in, out + Dante. So the MTRX Studio would be perfect, notwithstanding the lack of AES (which I do actually need, because I monitor through an external D/A).
Old 04-03-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
The advantage of having a MTRX is that it comes with 16 AES I/O builtin, so it was a breeze to interface the Genelec´s 7.1.4 setup via AES. Another advantage is that DADman monitoring controller software comes included. It´s a great matrix for whatever you want to do in terms of routing and monitoring using all the options you have installed on the unit, Dante included and can also be controllable from the AVID Control app that you can install on a Dock or S1 tablet. Using it on the Dock, you can use the hardware lateral rotary buttons to control certain functions and also the volume knob can control the volume that goes to your Genelec´s. I find it more adequate and quick than using the soft fader on the GLM software, even if on a touch surface. The disadvantage here is that the GLM SPL calibration is overrided in this scenario.

I have a question about this set up. I'm phasing out my old Yamaha DM2000/Red4Pre and looking to go with an MTX Studio and Focusrite D16R. I'll be using the AES on the D16R to feed my Genelec 5.1 set up. I'd like to use the DAD monitoring on my S1 as well. I was under the impression that we could store the room correction from the GLM in the Genelec monitors and bypass the GLM interface. Are you saying the DAD monitoring bypasses that as well?

One other quick RedNet question. I've never actually used the RedNet 2 for routing Dante. I've only used the Audinate software. Would RedNet see both the D16R AND the MTRX Studio? Also, if I get a Lynx Aurora(n) dante interface, would it see that as well?

Thanks
Old 04-03-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adogg4629 View Post
I have a question about this set up. I'm phasing out my old Yamaha DM2000/Red4Pre and looking to go with an MTX Studio and Focusrite D16R. I'll be using the AES on the D16R to feed my Genelec 5.1 set up. I'd like to use the DAD monitoring on my S1 as well. I was under the impression that we could store the room correction from the GLM in the Genelec monitors and bypass the GLM interface. Are you saying the DAD monitoring bypasses that as well?

One other quick RedNet question. I've never actually used the RedNet 2 for routing Dante. I've only used the Audinate software. Would RedNet see both the D16R AND the MTRX Studio? Also, if I get a Lynx Aurora(n) dante interface, would it see that as well?

Thanks
You can store the result of the calibration made by the GLM software on the DSP of the Genelec monitors if you want and remove the GML interface after calibration. But that denies the possibility of having multiple setups of speakers with different calibrations, using pre defined loudness presets etc. So in my opinion, there´s no advantage in doing that, if you have the GLM interface. Just keep it connected to your computer via USB and to the speakers via ethernet.
When I say that the DADman might bypass the GLM, is just on the volume SPL calibration of your setup, but only if you want it too. DADman does not alter the acoustic calibration made by the GLM software on the speakers, unless you have a SPQ card on the MTRX/MTRX Studio and choose that option instead. At a certain point it becomes a redundancy. Personally, I would trust the GLM calibration in the first place. SPQ is great for manufacturers that don´t offer built-in calibration on their speakers, or for tweaking a system already calibrated. But that needs to be done using proper measurement software and by someone who knows about acoustics. Actually, in DADMan you can have a 5.1, stereo, 7.1.4, whatever set of speakers that mimick the GLM setup and can be activated from the Dock/S1 on the dedicated monitoring page.

Regarding the Dante issues that you´ve mentioned, Rednet only sees and routes Dante from I/O on Rednet devices. It doesn´t see other devices like the MTRX, Lynx or whatever. for that routing, you use the Audinate Dante Controller. That´s the piece of software that will see all your Dante devices.

Hope it helps.

Edit: You may need a Genelec 9301 interface, depending on your set up, to connect via AES: https://www.genelec.com/9301a

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3

Last edited by paulo m; 04-03-2021 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Addon info
Old 04-07-2021, 11:11 PM

Thanks Paulo!

Best

AD
Old 04-08-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adogg4629 View Post
Thanks Paulo!

Best

AD
You´re welcome! Good luck with your system.

Regards

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3