Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2020, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Come On 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonsdeejay View Post
Try to get 2019.12

I'm on PC, Because My Two Macs are so death.

To me Right Now Works way better than Mac and I say this just by all things I read here almost every day. That Mojave has been a pain for many people.
Thanks for the reply!

It is not the computer's fault, it is Pro Tools poor performance. I've tested other DAWs with the same Mac Pro....Logic Pro, Studio One Professional and both performed way better with the same plugins and settings than Pro Tools.
It is ridiculous to get -9173 errors with CPU meters @ 20% and buffers at 1024 with Apollo interfaces....

2019.12 performs better than 2018.12 but still, there are -9173 errors here and there. I won't risk to be humiliated in front of a client again, because Pro Tools one minute works just fine and the other, playback stops because of that freakin -9173 BS. I don't trust it anymore. I prefer Studio One which performs classes better, without error messages and such crap. Pro Tools is the only DAW that has a ton of error messages....-9173, -9073, -9013 etc. bollocks.

Check this out. New Mac Pro 12 core, £10k machine...Pro Tools gives -9173 error even with this beast...Yes, it is loaded but...not to the edge. James tries to save it by saying: We probably hit the "theoretically limit"....but still....just ridiculous ....LOL!

https://youtu.be/I2RMSksm9WE?t=315

Cheers!
Old 03-30-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
Thanks for the reply!

It is not the computer's fault, it is Pro Tools poor performance. I've tested other DAWs with the same Mac Pro....Logic Pro, Studio One Professional and both performed way better with the same plugins and settings than Pro Tools.
It is ridiculous to get -9173 errors with CPU meters @ 20% and buffers at 1024 with Apollo interfaces....

2019.12 performs better than 2018.12 but still, there are -9173 errors here and there. I won't risk to be humiliated in front of a client again, because Pro Tools one minute works just fine and the other, playback stops because of that freakin -9173 BS. I don't trust it anymore. I prefer Studio One which performs classes better, without error messages and such crap. Pro Tools is the only DAW that has a ton of error messages....-9173, -9073, -9013 etc. bollocks.

Check this out. New Mac Pro 12 core, £10k machine...Pro Tools gives -9173 error even with this beast...Yes, it is loaded but...not to the edge. James tries to save it by saying: We probably hit the "theoretically limit"....but still....just ridiculous ....LOL!

Cheers!

Yeah you know what, i forgot about error messages until i tried pro tools again.
I have spent recent years in S1, Reaper, Bitwig and Ableton. I need to consolidate to just one as it is a headache (each is better at different things) None of them give me error messages.

What is stunning is how stable reaper is. I can load an insane number of plugins and no problem at all.

I would have jjust stayed in studio One with no problems, but it doesn't have the advanced automation features of PT or Reaper.

The sense i get in this forum is that people really WANT it to work. They WANT to stay with pro tools. Seeing lots of people here with 20+ years in PT. To think that avid is taking this much money from them and giving almost nothing back is actually a little disturbing.

For me, i worry that i will buy an HD card and then something will happen that will make the investment worthless.
Also with the sub model, you are pouring so much money in and then you have nothing at the end.
Again, if it worked really smoothly and was solid as a rock, i would have no problem.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianBloom View Post
The sense i get in this forum is that people really WANT it to work. They WANT to stay with pro tools. Seeing lots of people here with 20+ years in PT. To think that avid is taking this much money from them and giving almost nothing back is actually a little disturbing.

You're right, we love the software, we want to continue use it as a primary DAW, we scream for basic features, like Folder Tracks for years, but Avid is a mess of a company, greedy and arrogant, as well. They make use of new shenanigans every time to extort users, like last year's price jump, drop of reistement plan etc.

We have spent, too much £££ and time on this software over the years and we are pretty disappointed of how things roll. Patience is a virtue but not endless....(money as well).

Cheers!
Old 03-30-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!
I've tested other DAWs with the same Mac Pro....Logic Pro, Studio One Professional and both performed way better with the same plugins and settings than Pro Tools...

Why are you still using PT then? when all these others work “way better” seems illogical you’d still be using PT
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 03-30-2020, 04:25 PM

Well, there seems to have been a few changes in management, so i'm crossing my fingers , but does anyone have accurate numbers as to revenue sources? i mean if audio is 5% of thier revenue, can u blame em? its just business. whereas these other smaller companies, thats ALL THEY GOT. they can throw 100% of thier energy and resources and 'love' at it, cuz its do or die. maybe protools is the red-headed step child of the accounting dept...?/ i dunno just throwing that out there...
Old 03-30-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Why are you still using PT then? when all these others work “way better” seems illogical you’d still be using PT

Because:

1) I'm quite fluent with it, have a specific workflow i'm used to it. (Using PT since v.3)
2)Still, like mixing with it, have an Artist Mix surface and a ton of AAX plugins. (Used to have an HD4 and D-Command surface too.)
3)Receiving PT projects from clients, studios, musicians etc. to open it and convert it for other DAW for additional production.
4)Compatibility with other studios who use only PT.
5)Have spent too much £££ over the years to just drop it (believe it or not, that's a valid reason for us too.)

As i previously posted, there is no single DAW that covers all the needs. Almost everybody i know in this field does the same...
So there are other DAWs, that cover what ProTools cannot do...(yet, if ever).

Some of that are: PT's midi is just awful, very limited by today's standards, lack of ARA support for Melodyne/Vocalign/AutoTune, you can't have more than one project opened at once, it is not stable (error messages etc.), PDC issues (like no Sidechain delay compensation) etc... hope you get the point by now!

Cheers!

Last edited by Akiz; 03-31-2020 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

Cheers!
Since Boom is now cross platform, please share how your system fares with 500 instrument tracks of Boom running... James rightly points out that most people won't need to have 500 virtual instrument tracks running at once as well as Eleven Rack. Not seeing how this was ridiculous back when they did the test, unless you're saying you routinely run more than this many VI's at once...
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 03-30-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
i mean if audio is 5% of thier revenue, can u blame em? its just business.

Errr...isn't that too small for the "Industry Standard" platform in audio, as they tend to say???

I know you just wondering what's wrong, but we all know these are not the reasons. If you follow Avid's history, especially the most recent years, you'll see what went wrong. New management took over 2 years ago and things are not getting any better....so...do the math.

Cheers!
Old 03-30-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
Since Boom is now cross platform, please share how your system fares with 500 instrument tracks of Boom running... James rightly points out that most people won't need to have 500 virtual instrument tracks running at once as well as Eleven Rack. Not seeing how this was ridiculous back when they did the test, unless you're saying you routinely run more than this many VI's at once...
The point IS NOT what plugin he is using to test the software, but how that performs.
If you watch carefully, you'll see that the test project plays just fine with CPU load at 80/81%, great so far. When he stops it and he says "Ok, back to the beginning of the session", i assume he hits the return key, then the -9173 error occurs. What was the reason for that exactly? He just returned to the top.
These errors are randomly happen with Pro Tools all the time, during playback, of when in pause and hit play etc. This is the ridiculous part!

Cheers!
Old 03-30-2020, 05:11 PM

So I’m guessing they don’t work way better. See I included some bold there just so you might understand better

Quote:
Because:

1) I'm quite fluent with it, have a specific workflow i'm used to it. (Using PT since v.3)
2)Still, like mixing with it, have an Artist Mix surface and a ton of AAX plugins. (Used too have an HD4 and D-Command surface too.)
3)Receiving PT projects from clients, studios, musicians etc. to open it and convert it for other DAW for additional production.
4)Compatibility with other studios who use only PT.
5)Have spent too much £££ over the years to just drop it (believe it or not, that's a valid reason for us too.)

As i previously posted, there is no single DAW that covers all the needs. Almost everybody i know in this field does the same...
So there are other DAWs, that cover what ProTools cannot do...(yet, if ever).

Some of that are: PT's midi is just awful, very limited by today's standards, lack of ARA support for Melodyne/Vocalign/AutoTune, you can't have more than one project opened at once, it is not stable (error messages etc.), PDC issues (like no Sidechain delay compensation) etc... you get the point!

Cheers!
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————