Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2016, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Windows 10 Home or Pro

Win 10 Pro running 10HD and 12.4 HD on an 003 console without a hiccup.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:00 PM

Any update on this in 2020?
Old 07-02-2020, 10:22 AM

I recommend Pro. There area few things it offers over Home, like Group Policy Editor where Windows Updates can be turned off.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-02-2020, 01:19 PM

For me, it's Pro.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 07-02-2020, 01:25 PM

For me it is all about disabling Windows updates. So Pro. But more importantly, build your own system, install a clean version of Windows, and take your time manually managing what drivers are installed, don't let Windows try to do this for you, and don't' rely on OEM install/recovery volumes loaded with crapware.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
For me it is all about disabling Windows updates. So Pro. But more importantly, build your own system, install a clean version of Windows, and take your time manually managing what drivers are installed, don't let Windows try to do this for you, and don't' rely on OEM install/recovery volumes loaded with crapware.
Ive never actually built a system, but I'm going to get someone else to build it for me when I get the components order in.

How would I advise them to install windows 10? Or should I just get him to build it and I install windows 10? Ive never used PC before, this will be my first switch. So not exactly sure if I'd be doing it right anyway [the drivers, etc..]
Old 07-02-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBK View Post
Ive never actually built a system, but I'm going to get someone else to build it for me when I get the components order in.

How would I advise them to install windows 10? Or should I just get him to build it and I install windows 10? Ive never used PC before, this will be my first switch. So not exactly sure if I'd be doing it right anyway [the drivers, etc..]
If you walk into a typical PC builder and ask them to build you a PC they will likely know nothing about proper setup for Pro Tools, and you may end up with a mess. They will also likely know nothing about better device selection. You have to work out howif they might happen to know about Pro Tools PCs or if they are willing to learn.

But certainly you want the minimum of crapware installed on the PC. I would include in that not installing AV software (or having it disabled for use). I would not just throw peripherals in the PC and let windows work out what to install. For things like GPUs I would get the latest/known best driver from the vendor's web site. Install the minimal stuff and test Pro Tools works under some load ... ideally the builder knows how to do that.

The bible of PC builds is this thread: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426

The proper systems optimization is covered in the Pro Tools installation documentation and under "help us help you" up the top of every DUC web page.

And more recent tweaks on CPU settings are in recent threads here.

Part of the problem is Avid's documentation is out of date for things like disk storage... e.g. you are better off getting to use M.2 PCIe/SSD than anything else and it's OK to put Windows, audio sessions, and samples on a single M.2 drive (it likely will be better to do that than use multiple HDD or even multiple SATA SSD). .

If you want a high-end build go to https://www.pro-tools-pc.com

What might be a good thing to do if you are interested in this is study up and design your own PC specs/components and get somebody who knows how to assemble a PC to do that, show you how, have you test stuff with them.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-02-2020 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
If you walk into a typical PC builder and ask them to build you a PC they will likely know nothing about proper setup for Pro Tools, and you may end up with a mess. They will also likely know nothing about better device selection. You have to work out howif they might happen to know about Pro Tools PCs or if they are willing to learn.

But certainly you want the minimum of crapware installed on the PC. I would include in that not installing AV software (or having it disabled for use). I would not just throw peripherals in the PC and let windows work out what to install. For things like GPUs I would get the latest/known best driver from the vendor's web site. Install the minimal stuff and test Pro Tools works under some load ... ideally the builder knows how to do that.

The bible of PC builds is this thread: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426

The proper systems optimization is covered in the Pro Tools installation documentation and under "help us help you" up the top of every DUC web page.

Part of the problem is Avid's documentation is out of date for things like disk storage... e.g. you are better off getting to use M.2 PCIe/SSD than anything else and it's OK to put Windows, audio sessions, and samples on a single M.2 drive (it likely will be better to do that than use multiple HDD or even multiple SATA SSD). .

Ahh this adds a whole new layer of stress lol..

Here I was thinking I was almost done choosing all the components, I could just hand it over to my local computer shop and have them give me a machine I could customize and get ready to go with.

So youre telling me he should be installing drivers and everything AS the machine gets built? I can't just get him to build everything, give me a blank slate, and I can then install Windows 10 and all my drivers myself?
Old 07-02-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:

What might be a good thing to do if you are interested in this is study up and design your own PC specs/components and get somebody who knows how to assemble a PC to do that, show you how, have you test stuff with them.

Here I was thinking I was almost done choosing all the components, I could just hand it over to my local computer shop and have them give me a machine I could customize and get ready to go with.

So youre telling me he should be installing drivers and everything AS the machine gets built? I can't just get him to build everything, give me a blank slate, and I can then install Windows 10 and all my drivers myself?
Old 07-02-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBK View Post

If I was building stuff I would test it with Pro Tools as early as possible. I would get most components installed but not rush to install all the software until Pro Tools runs OK. Some folks spend hours installing software and plugins before testing Pro Tools even works... you should test it works, install some more stuff... test it works, etc. some point along the way maybe start doing a backup/clone. etc.

Your PC is not just physical components it's the physical components and their drivers. For key things like GPU, audio cards, audio interface, etc. I would be picking out the exact drivers to install. Don't just plug stuff in and let Windows run and give you wherever crap drivers it will... and many low-end builders will do exactly that.