Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2021, 06:07 PM

Default Project Will Not Delete with ProTools First

I have Pro Tools First through a Focusrite purchase. It allows 3 project files. The project file "1x" will not delete because it has a "cloud". I don't use cloud for anything. Hence I am left with only two remaining project slots that I can use. How can it be fixed? thanx much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg proj_1x_p1.jpg (17.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg proj1x_p2.jpg (34.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png proj1x_p3.png (31.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-14-2021, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Project Will Not Delete with ProTools First

Here's a better picture of the first screen. There is nothing in the file "1x". It won't open or delete. The only thing I can do -- is to rename it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg proj_1x_p1.jpg (33.7 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by WWLaidback; 02-14-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:57 PM

There are many (hundreds?) of posts on DUC about problems with Pro Tools Cloud storage, it looks to be a flakey mess. I would not trust any work to it. I would get off of First, its crippleware, besides this flakey storage, it supports effectively no third party plugins, and does not give you compatibly with Pro Tools sessions files. I would upgrade to Pro Tools standard (which you can subscribe to monthly to see how that goes), or try out the free one month Pro Tools Ultimate trial (Google for it... if you like it you can just subscribe to Pro Tools standard and use that license with the same install).... or pick another DAW. There are many choices, what is best depends on what you are doing but Reaper or Logic Pro (on Mac) would be near the top of my list, both great DAWs.

You can hope that somebody from Avid helps you out here buy resetting your storage, no other users here may be able to, and DUC is largely a user forum. Avid folks here a great, but the don't pick up every last thing. Or you can pay Avid support for the privilege of reporting yet another user problem with their cloud storage. There are so many issues that folks seem to run into wit Pro Tools First storage, that I'd hope Avid support allowed filing free incidents for help resetting that stuff.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the tip. The files save to cloud by default unless you change the settings, and I have no use for cloud. It gums up everything. I looked over comments from the upgrade-users, and there is no support for them either. Is Ableton better? Maybe I should take a look at Reaper. thanx
Old 02-14-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWLaidback View Post
Thanks for the tip. The files save to cloud by default unless you change the settings, and I have no use for cloud. It gums up everything. I looked over comments from the upgrade-users, and there is no support for them either. Is Ableton better? Maybe I should take a look at Reaper. thanx
Ableton Live is very highly regarded if you are composing, or (obviously) using Live.

Are you composing? otherwise recording/working with MIDI and virtual instruments or mostly recording audio? On Windows, Reaper and Pro Tools would be my choices for audio recording. But there are many many others that can all work fine. Ableton Live or Cubase might be for composing/live on Windows... but the little I do there, mostly backing rhythm can be done fine in Pro Tools, or better Logic on Mac.

The main advice I'd give anybody is learn/use the same DAW that your friends, band-members, peers use and you can get help from or collaborate with... if that is Pro Tools, I doubt it will be Pro Tools First. Wanting to say take college audio classes, or work in a professional studio... sure that might push you to Pro Tools, but not necessarily. Many professionals can work in multiple DAWs, and will depending on what they are doing.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-14-2021 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-15-2021, 05:04 AM

"There are many (hundreds?) of posts on DUC about problems with Pro Tools Cloud storage, it looks to be a flakey mess." Where can I find DUC? thanks
Old 02-15-2021, 10:52 AM

This is DUC, Digidesign User Group. duc.avid.com.

Built in forum search is not great. Just Google search with the qualifier...

site: duc.avid.com

What you find is unlikely to help you, well except to convince you to not waste time with First.
Old 02-16-2021, 11:51 AM

A couple of worthwhile details:
1- a "project" is in the cloud. A "session" is on your computer(so create sessions, instead of projects)
2-I am also of the opinion that PTF is a waste of time. The standard version of Pro Tools is a solid product.
3-Is Pro Tools for you? It depends. If you want to share sessions with other users that work on PT, then it makes a lot of sense to use the same platform. If its more about you making music for your own fun and profit(?), then there are several solid options including Logic(Mac-only), GarageBand(Mac only), Cubase, Reaper, Studio One and Cakewalk by Bandcamp(which used to be Sonar).
4-back to whether Pro Tools is the right choice, look toward the future. If you hope to work in a studio or open your own commercial venture, then Pro Tools would be a tool to have

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-16-2021, 12:21 PM

Just guessing here, but try running PTF as administrator by right clicking on the PTF icon and choosing run as admin. It could be an issue with the app not being able to delete the local copy.

You can also just try logging out and logging back into PTF. Sometimes this syncs things up and it starts working.

System Details