Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 05-22-2018, 08:58 PM

Default Hi. I wonder How can I use UR28M Audio Interface as monitor controller?

So I wonder how can I use UR28M interface as monitor controller.

UR28M has output monitor controller function.
Then. I want to upgrade interface to UAD Apollo 8 for surround.

And Can I use UR28M as montiro controller with s/Pdif?

Then. Apollo8 S/PDIF out - UR28M S/PDIF In - UR28M Output to Surround Speaker (6 Output)

Please who helps me!
Thank you.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Hi. I wonder How can I use UR28M Audio Interface as monitor controller?

Yes you should be able to since I belive these support stand-alone operation.

You need to read the manual and look at how to configure the interface for stand-alone operation so it's routing the input you want to use to the outputs. That's the key.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Hi. I wonder How can I use UR28M Audio Interface as monitor controller?

Thank you for reply.
So how can I know the way to use UR28M interface as monitor controller standalone? I think the S/PDIF lines. But, It's difficult to route.

Please help me. There's no information anything in Manual of UR28M.

Thank you.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:59 AM

Default Hi. I wonder How can I use UR28M Audio Interface as monitor controller?

There is a whole section in the operation manual on the dspMixFx UR28M that talks about using stand-alone operation. With that you can create a mix routing from S/PDIF In that outputs through the monitor controller. You need to read the manual and play with dspMixFx. DUC is not the place to waste space rehashing stuff that is already well documented elsewhere. If you are stuck and something is not working as expected in that doc then ask specific questions, if stuck try that here, but there may be other places better than DUC to do that since there is nothing related to Pro Tools or Avid products going on here.

Common mistakes would be using ADAT instead of S/PDIF.

I now noticed your original post mentioned “surround”. I have no idea what surround has to do with this. The UR28M, it is a stereo monitor controller. And the monitor control in the Apollo 8 is also stereo only, with no monitor switching. And S/PDIF is stereo only. So what exactly are you trying to do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-23-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:56 PM

I know that. I try to do use ur28M as surround monitor controller, not srereo.. But Spdif is only for stereo.
Thank u for remind this. I should buy surround monitor controller like SPL. And shoulf use Digi Link Cable, not SPDIF.