Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2012, 06:51 AM

Default Venue 3.0 installation problem

So I downloaded the Venue 3.0 update files from Avid, extracted the .iso and burned it into a cd with a mac as described in the instructions. As a result booting with F10 pressed does nothing to initiate the upgrade.

A friend told me that I should download and burn the file with a pc, as "something" happens in OS X when zipped files are automatically extracted that makes it impossible for my Profile to read the disc.

So I do just that, but no go... tried with 3 different keyboards, all sorts of F10 pushing manouvers, but no luck.

Any ideas, anyone? The disc is a cd-rw, if that matters? I kinda wish the update could be done via usb just like all the other stuff.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Avid

Default Re: Venue 3.0 installation problem

Hi,

This process normally works well, so what you're seeing is unexpected. Sorry it's taken more time than expected to get up and running.

Contact the support team: venuesupport(at)avid(dot)com
...and they can troubleshoot further or make arrangements to get you another ISO file.

Quote:
I kinda wish the update could be done via usb just like all the other stuff.
Yes, that would be handy but there's a reason why it doesn't work that way. Every major software update also includes a copy of the console's operating system, which requires the system restore be done via the CD as a boot device, not USB. Interim "dot" releases only update the VENUE software (not the OS), so they can be distributed and installed via USB.

Hope that explains it!

Sheldon
Old 10-16-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinnbacka View Post
The disc is a cd-rw, if that matters?
I suspect this is the problem. CD drives can be finicky about what media they'll digest. Use a regular CD-R and not an RW. FWIW, I've always used a Mac to make the disk and have never had a problem.

Exclusively at the Miners Foundry
Old 10-16-2012, 10:44 PM

Could you try CD-R? I had some problems reading CD-RW by Venue.

To clarify: you're burning .ISO as a disk image, not just as files, aren't you?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:53 AM

Hi All,

thanks for the replys. got it with the usb not being a possibility for the big upgrades.

I have a known to be working cd coming in the mail and I will make a copy of that for myself. Everything should be otherwise exactly as specified, apart from the cd being a cd-rw.

I will post what happens next after this weeks shows are done and I have time to try the upgrade again.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 AM

Got the cd and everything installed as advertised. I took an image of it with a mac that I will someday burn to a cd and see how it reacts. Thanks everybody for your help.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:05 PM

I am having the same issue. Burnt the ISO disc 3 times and still cannot get SC48 to boot from the disc using F10. I am at a client trying to upgrade his console and this is not working in my favor...any workaround? Is it the CD-R's that I am using? (Memorex CD-R)? Frustrating....He purchased the Venue 3 upgrade...does he need to request a disc to be mailed to him?
Old 11-02-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinnbacka View Post
So I downloaded the Venue 3.0 update files from Avid, extracted the .iso and burned it into a cd with a mac as described in the instructions. As a result booting with F10 pressed does nothing to initiate the upgrade.

A friend told me that I should download and burn the file with a pc, as "something" happens in OS X when zipped files are automatically extracted that makes it impossible for my Profile to read the disc.

So I do just that, but no go... tried with 3 different keyboards, all sorts of F10 pushing manouvers, but no luck.

Any ideas, anyone? The disc is a cd-rw, if that matters? I kinda wish the update could be done via usb just like all the other stuff.
Was the iso file simply burned to the CD? An iso is a disc image file that needs to be written, not simply burned. The result should be a standard Yellow Book CD-ROM. If you look at the directory of the CD, there should NOT be a file with the iso extension.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:40 PM

Yeah, wrote it to the cd-rw like one's supposed to, not just as a .iso-file.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:08 PM
Avid

To verify that the CD has been burned properly just look at the contents on a Mac or PC machine. The CD should have the following files:

D-Show
DSHOW.pqi
Licenses
OSTargetCheck
TDM Plug-Ins

If these files are visible then the problem is probably related to the USB keyboard being used. Try a different keyboard (preferably wired USB, not wireless).

As a further keyboard/CD test you could also try booting the system from a Live CD of some sort.

-Rich