Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-15-2014, 01:41 PM

Default Loud Buzz Malfunction during Playback -> Force Quit

Everything worked normally until a couple days ago - The session I was working on started malfunctioning. It will play for 15-30 seconds then playback stops, and a really loud buzzing noise comes on and when I try to quit pro tools it wont respond and I have to force quit it. I thought that this issue was only true with the specific session i was working on and later realized that the same issue occurs on every one of my old sessions as well!

Please help! I have artists relying on me!

Thank You Thank You Thank You!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Loud Buzz Malfunction during Playback -> Force Quit

yea I had that problem too.What version are you running.I guess you are recording to a different drive than your C drive..I have updated to the latest version of PT's 10 and am now recording to a separate drive and no problems for a couple weeks
Old 02-15-2014, 06:10 PM

Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-15-2014, 06:12 PM

I'm not sure about the drives.. how do I check that? I did notice that there is a PT 10 update to 10.3.8.

Thanks !
Old 02-15-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demanpro04 View Post
I'm not sure about the drives.. how do I check that? I did notice that there is a PT 10 update to 10.3.8.

Thanks !
Hi and Welcome to the Community

You should have an extra harddrive for recording to and it has to be a 7200 rpm drive and NO green or blue power saving drive. This is a MUST have and you won't be happy if you don't have a secondary drive only for recording sessions to.

Best of Luck
Christopher

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-15-2014, 07:50 PM

goto computer in the start up menu and click on it to see how many drives you have Brother.Post a Sandra so we can see what you are doing.You don't want this happening in front of your talent
Old 02-15-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks !
Corrct. The latest version of PT10 is 10.3.8 and is a pretty stable version so an update to atleast 10.3.6 would be in order. 10.3.8 is mainly for those running 11 and 10 on the same harddrive.

So please post more details so we can help you out with this

Best
Christopher

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-18-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hi and Welcome to the Community

You should have an extra harddrive for recording to and it has to be a 7200 rpm drive and NO green or blue power saving drive. This is a MUST have and you won't be happy if you don't have a secondary drive only for recording sessions to.

Best of Luck
Christopher
I am using a Macbook Pro 13 (2.3 Ghz Intelcore i5 / 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3).
I really haven't had any issues as serious as this one. I've tried adjusting the Playback Engine a number of ways, ran the disk utility (everything is ok). Some of my PT sessions playback fine, but the one I specifically need to work on is not cooperating with me. It has a some of VSTs/RSTAs (Maschine, Absynth, Massive), as well as some FX plugins.

Do you think that investing into a 7200 RPM external drive would solve this issue? Maybe I need more RAM? Maybe I should just invest in a better mac to lower probabilities of "tedious technical difficulties." What is the recommended amount of free RAM to have when using Pro Tools to its full capabilities?

I am a serious music producer with the most simple and smallest macbook from 2011 that I received upon graduation from highschool. I think it may be time for an upgrade, although I feel that my issue is a tiny one that is easy to fix. Maybe not. What do you think?

Thank you for helping me!
Old 02-18-2014, 12:40 PM

An external drive is an absolute must! Also, i5 processors are not recommended for PT 10. You may be able to muscle this system into co-operating, but it is underspec. VST's are not compatible with PT unless you're using a wrapper (I'm assuming that you may just be confused by the terms).

What OS are you running? Mavericks is not supported for PT10. You are at the bare min for RAM. At the end of the day, it may be time to invest in a different machine. Be sure to use the information on the AVID site to ensure compatibility. Follow ALL optimizations.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 02-18-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I am using a Macbook Pro 13 (2.3 Ghz Intelcore i5 / 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3).
I really haven't had any issues as serious as this one. I've tried adjusting the Playback Engine a number of ways, ran the disk utility (everything is ok). Some of my PT sessions playback fine, but the one I specifically need to work on is not cooperating with me. It has a some of VSTs/RSTAs (Maschine, Absynth, Massive), as well as some FX plugins.

Do you think that investing into a 7200 RPM external drive would solve this issue? Maybe I need more RAM? Maybe I should just invest in a better mac to lower probabilities of "tedious technical difficulties." What is the recommended amount of free RAM to have when using Pro Tools to its full capabilities?

I am a serious music producer with the most simple and smallest macbook from 2011 that I received upon graduation from highschool. I think it may be time for an upgrade, although I feel that my issue is a tiny one that is easy to fix. Maybe not. What do you think?

Thank you for helping me!

Hi

I can't stress enough how important it is to have a secondary harddrive and many issues arises from not having one. Also a minimum of RAM would be 8GB but preferably 16 GB. We have 2 macbook pro retinas and had to buy the second one at 16GB due to the inability to upgrade RAM on the retina models so now we have the 8GB for some "on the road" work and the 16GB in our midi production room for heavy VI work and works great

So if you are a serious producer as you said you need to have the gear to match so maybe get a new computer instead of the hassle trying to make this one work, it is as you pointed out a pretty modest Macbook and you will run into other problems down the road with that one. I suggest getting atleast a 16GB version with SSD internal drive and a secondary 7200rpm or better for recording sessions to. If you get a IMac make sure that it is NOT any fusion/Hybrid drive inside as that have proven to be the biggest stuff up this past year for many many users.

That is just my thoughts but I think they are good ideas so it is up to your budget as always when it comes to gear, but one very important thing is to ALWAYS have a Working approved computer before you buy any other gear as it will help you in the long run, Computer first and toys later

Best Of Luck
Christopher

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————