Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-10-2002, 01:30 PM

Default Re: equalizing via my mixer

Best thing to do is to try to replicate the settings on the channel EQ on your mixer with the Digi 4 Band EQ or other EQ plug ins such as Waves Ren EQ/ Q10 EQ. This also gives an insight into how EQ works with different sounds/mixes. Also read as much as you can about EQ.
EQ Tips
EQ Tips2

Quality (& expensive?)outboard EQ & Reverb still sound better to most ears than plug ins, however the Digi stock plug ins can get great results as well.

In fact the EQ on your mixer might still be worth using, you can clean up the hiss after you have sent the track back to the mixer for EQ treatment.

Good Luck [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

John k
London N19
Old 10-10-2002, 02:18 PM

"that good sound" is just sound that, well, sounds good, or highly eq'd to the point were it sounds near professional. i would like to route a track to my mixer, then mess with the eqs on that and have it keep those settings...
ev
Old 10-10-2002, 03:17 PM

If your mixer has line-in's and direct outs, wich are post-eq it is easy. Just choose a plugin, but instead of plugin, choose i/o and choose a port (lets say 3). this will rout the audio out of output 3 and back into input 3. After that it will flow through your protools fader....so its a bit like an insert on an analog mixer...

To find out if your direct out's are pre or postfader is simple. Do the routing "trick" and dial in some extreme eq....you should be able to hear it... Some mixers are switchable for pre or post eq on their direct outs...

Hope this helps

Bastiaan
Old 10-10-2002, 03:18 PM

After mixing record it back in PT as a new track.
Then you can delete the old one. Maybe you have to nudge it a little bit ( latency).
Just an idea. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pieter
Old 10-10-2002, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nightshade crisis:
"that good sound" is just sound that, well, sounds good, or highly eq'd to the point were it sounds near professional. i would like to route a track to my mixer, then mess with the eqs on that and have it keep those settings...
ev
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If I understand you correctly, your wanting to use your mixer for a outboard eq. If this is the case, if your board has inserts on it's channel, you can run an output from the 001 the a channel on your mixer's insert. Then you can take a output from your mixer (i.e., main out/bus out...) to a analog input on the 001. At that point, you can route, within protools, your tracks signal to the output channel going to the mixer, then route the input going back to the 001 into your mix on a seperate track or aux within Protools..

Sorry if That's too confusing... Basically follow the instructions in the manual for hooking up outboard effects.

~Cheers~
|Recent PC to Mac convert|
Old 10-10-2002, 03:22 PM

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Sorry Bastiaan, yeah what you said. Just a little latency on part getting my post done.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
|Recent PC to Mac convert|
Old 10-10-2002, 03:22 PM

Bastiaan, you beat me. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Faster and better.

Pieter
Old 10-10-2002, 03:39 PM

ptrbas & Pako,

Is niet erg hoor, als iets uitgelegd wordt door meer mensen, dan is het meestal duidelijker. En daar gaat het om..... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

(Its ok, if somthing gets explained by more then one person, it is probably easier to understand. And that's what counts... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

PS. Dutch isnt included with the babelfish translator...

Bastiaan
Old 10-10-2002, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nightshade crisis:
"that good sound" is just sound that, well, sounds good, or highly eq'd to the point were it sounds near professional.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry, but I don't equate heavily eq'd with sounding professional, in fact quite the oposite. If you find you need to do major eqing to your tracks while mixing, you should perhaps examine your tracking methods; mic choices and placement, preamps, room acoustics, etc., and work on recording better sounding tracks. I strive to get tracks that sound great with no eq(I never eq during tracking, only when mixing) or dynamics, so that I can push up the faders and have a decent mix before I even think about beginning the mix process. The better your tracks sound, the better the finished product sounds. A little eq on a great sounding track goes a long way. Conversely, alot of eq on a not so great sounding track can induce comb filtering, phase problems, etc.

Not trying to bash you, just suggesting an alternative method to the madness of recording. Hope this is helpful.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:51 PM

Well, he was suggesting the extreme EQ just to see if the send routing was working. But your method of EQing is good. Try not to use it at all, but then make the bands a little wide and use it gently when you do.