Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2009, 08:25 AM

Default Kick drum track

What's up guys? I have recorded some drum tracks that are heavy metal/thrash style. I want my kick drum to sound almost like the kick drums on Metallica's "And Justice for All" album. If any of you know the frequencies that might make my kick sound like that it would be perfect for my drum tracks.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Kick drum track

http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/

You will be hard pressed to get what they had without sample enhancement...

Best..

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 05-14-2009, 09:35 AM

I agree with Doc.

How to make your kick drum sound like Metallica's:
  1. Purchase the kick drum from Lars.
  2. Obtain the gear they used to record it
  3. record it.
OR...
  1. Sample Lars' kick drum from the album (or select a sample from a sample library that is close)
  2. replace the kick drum hits in your recording with those samples.
OR...
  1. Make the kick drum you have sound as close to the album as possible
  2. Record it.

However... on to the educational part...

You seem to be thinking that there is some magical "formula" that will automatically turn your recorded drums into what you are looking for. There is not. We cannot give you any specific "frequencies" to "auto-magically" turn the kick drum you recorded into what you are looking for. You aren't even providing us with an example of what you have recorded. It's very difficult to say "You need to boost the low end around 60Hz and roll off the high end" when we haven't even heard what we're dealing with.

It's like saying "How much green should I add to this painting to make my field look realistic"? We don't know. We haven't seen the field you have. It might not need any more green at all.

Do you understand?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 05-14-2009, 09:58 AM

AFAIR the "Justice..." kick drum sound, I guess you'll have to CUT A LOT. Try cutting a large hole from the low-mids to the mids, boost the lows and find the click somewhere from 2 to 6 KHz and boost it. If you have no idea, use a frequency analyzer on part of the record where the kick can be heard alone and compare it with your kick sound.
I would grab my comp and eq first and see how far I can get before I would sample-replace all the drums.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:03 AM

I do understand you. However, i have achieved audio engineering certification through more then one year of education. I know alot about audio. Even though i achieved certification, i was not taught very well. There are still alot of audio concepts i do not understand. I try to learn everything i can. I wish it was that easy to walk into a studio and just push a single button and my bass drum sounds awesome.

But it is not that easy. You have to really understand frequencies and audio recording. All i was asking is if anyone on here knows some good areas to start with. And that was all.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:51 AM

Ever try the 40HZ gated oscillator? Open up an audio track, put the "signal generator" on it, tune it to AROUND 40, and put a gate after it. Now, set up an aux send on the kick track (like aux 30), set the KEY INPUT on the gate to the SAME aux, so that every time there's a kick you also get a quick infusion of 40 hz. (The kick opens the gate briefly). You'll have to fiddle with the gate a bit for the right attack/hold/release settings (then store them!!!) but it's sure worth the effort......
Old 05-14-2009, 03:47 PM

If you can find a clean hit off the original CD(without any other music going on, run it thru a spectrum analyzer to get a picture of the sound. Now run your kick drum thru the same analyzer so you have a picture of your kick drum so you can compare the 2 drums. That would be a good way to figure out some differences(and guide you to where to boost and cut).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-14-2009, 08:21 PM

Eq-ing a sound is as much about the source as it is about the destination, so its very hard to give an eq curve without an example. Also if the kick you've recorded isn't really in the same ballpark it could end up turning ugly if you work it too much. If so, sound replacer would be a good avenue to take.
You're also going to have to be careful with how much spill you let through from the overheads, tom mics and room etc. Its such a dry sound on "Jutice for All" that spill will quickly get you out of the right area.
(And for that Authentic Justice for All sound, don't forget to mute the Bass) :)
Old 05-15-2009, 05:29 AM

"dear mother dear father, what is this hell, you, have, put, me through" Haha, love the double kick there, fookin impossible.
Mushkin DDR3 16G RAM
Pro Tools HD Native 9.0.5
C24
Eleven Rack
Lynx Aurora, LTHD
UAD2 Quad Neve
-----------------------------------------------------------------
MacBook Pro
2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
Pro Tools LE 8
Glyph Tech GT050Q
003 Rack
Mbox2 mini
Old 05-15-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler View Post
(And for that Authentic Justice for All sound, don't forget to mute the Bass) :)

LOL!! So true, so true....