Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 03-02-2017, 09:43 AM

Default Mixing with a console

I am considering REPLACING my audio interface with a mixing console. I've done research and i know there are circumstances the console needs to meet in order for this to work. (i.e- Interface built in; USB; etc). The question I'm asking is this:
I would be doing this for convenience and ease. Would the console replace the mix window in pro tools? Will i be able to write/latch automation with this Console INSTEAD of using the onscreen one?? using a mouse on a screen is just tedious. If i can use a physical Mixing board for this, It would chop my mixing time in half!! If i can't do this just by simply plugging it in, then how would i be able to do it???
However, if there's no way to do this, then Personally, I would find it to be a waste of money for what I'm doing at home. THANKS!!

Pro Tools 12.7 (Student/Teacher Card and iLok) (ALL Stock plug ins; Never purchased any. (got Pro tools software through schooling))

Steinburg ur22 MKii (2 audio input; 2 instrument input; MIDI in, MIDI out)

Sterling audio MX5" Monitors (2)[/FONT][/FONT]
Old 03-02-2017, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Mixing with a console

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt06 View Post
I would be doing this for convenience and ease.

I don't see how adding a console would be easier and more convenient that using the mix window inside Pro Tools. You would also loose offline bounce.

Would the console replace the mix window in pro tools?

Basically

Will i be able to write/latch automation with this Console INSTEAD of using the onscreen one??

Depends on the console. DAW controller would be better.

using a mouse on a screen is just tedious.

Sometimes yes. Buy a universal daw controller.

If i can use a physical Mixing board for this, It would chop my mixing time in half!!

Depends

If i can't do this just by simply plugging it in, then how would i be able to do it???

Depends on the board, but your interface doesn't leave you a lot of options.

However, if there's no way to do this, then Personally, I would find it to be a waste of money for what I'm doing at home.

It's generally better to upgrade room acoustics, monitors, etc... first.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:05 AM

Great answrs and just to add one thing. You still need a interface for recording as a console doesn't replace an interface so you need to either get an S3 for example or any other console/controller with built in interfcae like Presonus or SSL Nucleus V2 which is both a console and DAW controller. With great bulit in interface aswell as GREAT preamps and integrated DAW controll.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-11-2017, 09:03 AM

As pointed out above, and because you didn't mention a need for external preamps, EQ or summing, you probably want to focus on a DAW controller. They can be faster for editing and any process you want to build a macro for. I use an Avid Artist Control for this purpose.

If however you think an external mixer is going to make things sound better, the answer is maybe. Most low cost mixers are not going to add anything sonically to your mix. They are by design neutral sounding. They can however add some width and depth to the stereo image which is why people sum their mix into them. The requirements are a multi channel AD/DA or just a DA and I can tell you, because I use a 12 channel Lynx setup, it ain't enough. Two channels are for the mains leaving 10 channels for summing the mix. I can and have gotten excellent results but always wish for a few more channels for outboard or some anomalous thing like congas when I don't want to send them to the drum buss.

Then there is the high end where you actually buy a mixer for the sound of it's preamps, EQ and compression. Hopefully for it's automation capabilities as well. These seem to be going the way of the dodo bird however because a lot of top mixers don't want to be caught with the investment as things are definitely moving to a digital world and you can get the color, EQ and compression with 500 series or full rack gear at a much lower cost.

I get the mouse complaint, but sometimes it's just faster if you know a few key commands for editing automation. Cheaper too. If you are committed to a DAW controller, lots of cheap Avid Artist Mix controllers out there in the $500 range. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the detailed and respectful answer! to clearify, i am NOT looking to get any sort of sound out of the mixer at all. Only record, and use the faders, solo/mute, and pan knobs instead of a mouse. If i can do JUST those things, I'll be good to go. Also, is there any way to ride faders, or automate with my apple keyboard rather than the mouse? Can't think of how theres any way to do this on a physical piece of equitment that DOESN'T have faders, but then again, a lot of PT keyboard shortcuts are "random" and don't make sense lol, so ya never know

Pro Tools 12.7 (Student/Teacher Card and iLok) (ALL Stock plug ins; Never purchased any. (got Pro tools software through schooling))

Steinburg ur22 MKii (2 audio input; 2 instrument input; MIDI in, MIDI out)

Sterling audio MX5" Monitors (2)[/FONT][/FONT]
Old 03-11-2017, 06:02 PM

What you really want is a "controller", not a mixer Depending on how many faders you want, it could be as cheap as $300-400 for a used Command8, $3500-4500 for an S3(16 faders), $5000 for a used C24(24 faders), etc. Lots of options here

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-13-2017, 12:58 PM

Second that you are probably in need of a controller that works with your existing interface but adds faders, solos, mutes, pan, etc. albee1952 mentioned Avid solutions, but there are a lot of 3rd party controllers you could use as well. They mostly work with the aging HUI protocol, but still give you a lot of functionality. Mackie MCU Pro's can be had used at reasonable prices, but the new Presonus Faderport 8 looks promising.

Check 'em out!
Old 03-13-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trakbytes View Post
Second that you are probably in need of a controller that works with your existing interface but adds faders, solos, mutes, pan, etc. albee1952 mentioned Avid solutions, but there are a lot of 3rd party controllers you could use as well. They mostly work with the aging HUI protocol, but still give you a lot of functionality. Mackie MCU Pro's can be had used at reasonable prices, but the new Presonus Faderport 8 looks promising.

Check 'em out!
agreed on the Faderport8, and I have it on good authority that Presonus will be making an 8 fader expander, eventually

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave