Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 01:03 PM

Default no file after bounce to disk also somtimes assertion error

several time after bouncing a session there is no file in the location that I had chosen. I thought it possible that I choose the wrong directory, but after several trys and after searching everywhere I found nothing. Sometimes after a bounce I would get an assertion error/crash and then no file. It is a very intermitent problem. I will try to bounce to a different location and see if that matters, but for now I am stumped. My work around is sending all outputs to a buss and then creating a new audio track with that buss as the input. In this case I am running:

hd3 accel
7.3.1cs2
os 10.4.8
G5 dual 2.6
2 gig ram

I am also having other issues with another rig, see "assertion crash while recording - missing regions"

thanks
Old 05-03-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Re: no file after bounce to disk also somtimes assertion error

I have had this happen too. Seems to come and go. I'll work for months with not one problem then.....bang. It's back and very frustrating. I think that going thru the internal busses sound better anyway. That's what I do if/when the problem crops up. Sorry, I can't give you any help. It's been too intermittent for me to track down. Good luck. bp
Old 09-12-2008, 10:55 AM

Hi I have to resurrect this thread, it happened to me twice already, and the funny thing is, both times that it happened, I'm on a deadline to bounce a song to send out to a local radio station for broadcast, and today I had to resort to recording to disk, got it in just in time for the DJ to insert it into their segment before going on air, I almost threw the whole rig off the building!

I wonder if anyone has zeroed in on the culprit during this past year? actually what's funny is, I set the bounce destination to a folder, and I have that folder opened, as soon as the song starts, that folder shows a new file has appeared (my bounce file), I figured I must've succeeded, but then after the bounce, that bounced file in the folder disappeared. Actually just like DrBill, I wouldn't have cared too much but just because both times that the bounce feature screwed me over was the two times that I was on the tightest schedule, I'm a little afraid it might strike again when I need PT to work most!

I'm normally a scientific man but this coincidence is making me think about things... actually the only time PT goes crazy is when I do work for that radio station. hmm...
Old 09-12-2008, 11:03 AM

Trashed prefs / databases and try bouncing to desktop.
Then try bouncing to secondary drive and see if it matters which drive you're bouncing to.

Checked drive / session name length and characters, remove illegal characters and underscores and shorten long file names.

Repair disk permissions set the DAE Playback Buffer to Level 2 or Level 4 (not level 8 if it's available)

It might be better to buss internally anyways inside of Pro Tools as many think this is advantageous, then export region as files through the region bin menu. Not that that's a true solution, but often times my first suggestions will take care of it.

as far as axisrecordings, second issue with assertion and missing regions this should;ve been fixed if he updated to Pro Tools HD 7.3.1cs5

Please post your system specs and PT version info Howie if you're still having trouble.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:58 PM

orrrrrrr...get this application: www.jcdeshaies.com, it's free on this website (see top) and try it. It does most, if not all, of the correct things that Premo told you.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:56 AM

I used to bounce to disk - until I read about the Write to Disk - or others call it Record to Disk - method. Anyway, it works like this:
Route your master bus (not the Master fader) to a Stereo Track and record it onto that track. After recording, give it a name and export it. Finished!

Advantages:
1.) You can see the waveform while recording.
2.) With Destructive Record you can quickly fix an error without having to record the whole length again
3.) You can export multiple formats (wav, aif, mp3, ...) a lot quicker than having to bounce each tim
4.) You have the mixes directly in your session, either for comparison or as a chronological summery of what has been done so far

I have a template, where the needed tracks are already set, and believe me, it does not take longer than bouncing. Especially when you get used to it, it is definitely a time-saver.

Hope this helps,
Timothy
Old 09-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Avid

Are the names of your bounced files longer than 27 characters? Do they contain any illegal characters or does the bounce path (all enclosing drives/folders) contain any illegal characters?

Usually those are the most likely culprits for this issue. Try bouncing to a different location and see if it helps.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_davies View Post
I used to bounce to disk - until I read about the Write to Disk - or others call it Record to Disk - method. Anyway, it works like this:
Route your master bus (not the Master fader) to a Stereo Track and record it onto that track. After recording, give it a name and export it. Finished!

Advantages:
1.) You can see the waveform while recording.
2.) With Destructive Record you can quickly fix an error without having to record the whole length again
3.) You can export multiple formats (wav, aif, mp3, ...) a lot quicker than having to bounce each tim
4.) You have the mixes directly in your session, either for comparison or as a chronological summery of what has been done so far

I have a template, where the needed tracks are already set, and believe me, it does not take longer than bouncing. Especially when you get used to it, it is definitely a time-saver.

Hope this helps,
Timothy
disadvantages:
...... none... that i know of. Just #3 above makes it worth it. And #4, comparing those mixes ultra-easily. And #2.... and of course #1 gives me something to do while waiting.
#5.. if you need to bounce out stems, you can do them ALL simultaneously. ( Doing some music for a jazz Play-a-long, am able to do the full band, drums+bass, drums +bass+ keys, and any other config. A REAL time saver. ) Seriously, I have not BTD'd since incorporating this technique into my workflow. give it a shot.
OH #6.. after making 4-5 (RTD, BTT,,, whatever you want to call it) mixes, and they are stacked perfectly in sync on consecutive tracks; it is so easy to copy/paste very subtle differences..add the tiniest of crossfades, and consolidate. (or use playlists). Try to sync up 5 BTD mixes after dragging/importing them back in. The drop order option from the regions bin works but, to be in sync the start point has to be the exact same. That could be a problem if you have done any editing on the beginning. good luck, SB