Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-28-2002, 06:27 PM

Default Which Digital Mixer?

Hello DUC!

I am interested in buying a digital mixer so that I can slave DP with PT LE and leave my MIDI tracks as MIDI and only use PT for the audio stuff (vocals,guitars, etc.)

Which one do you guys recommend? What are your pros and cons?
What about the pre-amps?
How does the console sound?
How good are the internal EFX?

I have a few in mind (1) Yamaha 01V
(2) Behringer DDX3216 (3)Tascam DM24

Don't let the price be a factor. Which one will suit me best.

Set-up includes (4) Midi Modules (1)Sampler (1)outboard Reverb, CD player, Cassette etc.

Thanks DUC!
Old 02-28-2002, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Which Digital Mixer?

they are all pretty good for their price range.
1. O1v probably has best internal efx(comes from the guys that gave us the famous SPX series). Sounds great Mic pre's are okay, but I'd go with an outboard mic pre for true satisfaction.
2 DDX3216
At what $700 bucks U can't go wrong!!! The mic pre's are pretty good as well as the internal Dynamic processing. an all around solid buy . But as i said with the O1v I would still go with an outboard ic pre for pure satisfaction
3.DM24
probably tha big padboy of tha bunch great all around for the price. good dynamics, not really sure about the internal efx.
But for yout setup tha DDX or the O1v woul d be great. U get tha same features on both and in true berhinger fashion it's well under $1000, even with all the options, and the O1v is about $1200 fully loaded. So it's on u from there

hope this helps [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-28-2002, 08:53 PM

Thanks Flosstein.

Are you leaning more towargs the behringer? I like the 01v though (02R, O3D). It seems that behringer copied from the 01V, except that it added 8 more channels.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:04 PM

I've worked with the O1v and i like it's sound. I've also worked with other berhinger mixers and i was highly impressed their performance I mysef know 2 people who recently purchased the DDX and the use it with a MOTU828 and Logic. and the other uses Digi 001. As of now ther swear by it. i would say that with either one u make sure u have toom to manuver a nice mic Pre in ya budget. and u get the Light pipe expansion this way u can go 24bit light pipe into ya digi 001 and still have full use of all your analog line ins on the mixer.
I say shoot tha moon and go for the DDX it's packed with xtras and it's priced right and if u want to know about some excellent mic pre's for under $1000 just send me an email
Old 02-28-2002, 09:15 PM

Okay. Check your inbox.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:39 PM

I would strongly suggest trying out one of these digital boards before you buy one. I was recently working on a MAckie digital. and I got to tell you. I hated it. IT is so confusing to find which fader is is on what page, for what channel. And then to look over at the monitor and try to find the corresponding parameters for every little adjustment.
ITs like Pro tools made hard. I hate them.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:45 PM

Does eveyone mix solely in PT or is anyone doing what I want to do. I think this is a fix (for me) to the 24 track count and the host based DAW problems. How do you guys mix using the 001.
Old 03-01-2002, 12:02 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Flosstein:
3.DM24
probably tha big padboy of tha bunch great all around for the price. good dynamics, not really sure about the internal efx.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Antares, TC, to name the couple I can remember off the top of my head
Old 03-01-2002, 01:05 AM

hey Flosstein,

i wouldn't mind getting that list of pre-amps under a grand if you don't mind...thanx!

[email protected]
Old 03-01-2002, 04:26 AM

I have an 01v and I like it. Although i bought it because I couldn't afford an 03d, the 03d is more like a mini 02r than the 01v is to a revamped pro mix 01. For the money though the 01v does a hell of a lot. The preamps are OK but for high end mics like my Rode NTV i prefer to use an outboard pre for a more pristine gain stage. Effects are great although you can't apply effects to the Adat cards outputs, you can apply dynamics though.
I mix in protools anyway, I use the 01v as frontend for drum tracking and monitoring MIDI modules, Cd player, and I also monitor Protools' L/R mix through the SPDIF in's and my Power amp is fed from the 01v's monitor outs. I've always thought that Beringer doesn't cut it on the mixer scene, just a personal opinion.
And even though you can control protools with the 01v's faders,mutes and solo's, I wouldn't bother its pretty sloppy, either get used to mouse mixing or invest in a good controller like the motor mix.

Matt