Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-14-2005, 06:08 AM

Default backwards EQ??

Hey,
I was just on a website that said French rerecording mixers used to like to play dialogue backwards for dialogue level equalization. Can anyone enlighten me as i have never heard of this before?? Cheers
Old 11-14-2005, 06:23 AM

Default Re: backwards EQ??

Back when film and sprockets ruled the dub stage, the rewind time (at real-time play speed) was used to tweak eq settings for the next forward roll. The practice is irrelevant today with instantaneous cueing and digital video, but some dialog mixers claimed that you could find problem areas such as sibilance easier when the transient attack occurred in reverse.

Bob
Old 11-14-2005, 06:30 AM

Cool. Thank you for your knowledge Bob!
Old 11-14-2005, 07:08 AM

When mixing to a print is *does* save time when you can EQ rolling backwards. There are only a few DAW out there that do this. I only know of two. Fairlight and WaveFrame. Especially when you consider PT´s rather slow lock-times of 2-3 seconds wich can be annoying for a mixer because that´s more time than a projector or a mag machine need to run at nominal speed from a full stop. The fastest locking machines I know are the Fairlight and the old Akai dubbers.

Frank.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:04 AM

Hey Frank,
Thats actually where i came across it when i was on a site looking at an old Akai dubber!!
Old 11-16-2005, 05:43 AM

the other advantage to running the audio backwards was that it the director or client can't make comments about what they are hearing. how many times have we had clients make comments on dialogue, or any part of a program, when we are still working on it? many of them don't realize how much time goes into making something shiny and presentable. for those who could do it, the time to adjust things without comment from the peanut gallery was invaluable.

..btw, i never got to mix like this, only see it when i was "merely" the composer...
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 11-16-2005, 06:33 AM

Quote:
... adjust things without comment from the peanut gallery was invaluable.
"peanut gallery"? nice one!

)

frank.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:46 AM

I never got to work on a stage that went backwards...but I don't think it saves time. How could it if everything is non linear? I think where it would help is that listening to the same thing over and over quickly as we can do with today's technology, can tend to overload the aural senses. If you could listen and eq forward and then backward I think the minds ear would tend to not get fooled.

Make sense?
Old 11-16-2005, 09:59 AM

Like I said. When you mix to a real print wich does happen even these days you can not roll back in milliseconds.
I think it´s simply a habit of the "old days" and you keep in the flow. It happens quite often when you wait for roll-back and forget what you wanted to do during the next pass just because you sit there waiting for the projector. Working backwards keeps the flow and concentration etc. but I must say that I haven´t seen this in years because PT doesn´t do it and PT is everywhere on the stages. Also listening to reverse audio at full blast volume can be *very* annoying for directors and other people.

frank.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:26 AM

The only time I use "Film" is for checking down a reel. We play a reel down, check sysnc, make notes and go back to VVTR with projected video. That way the fixes are MUCH faster.I still have 5 mag "dummies" and a 6 track mag that don't get used at all. The only reason to play back in reverse is because with Film you are limited to the rewind speed of the projector. I'll take VVTR with Pro Tools.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.