Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-1999, 02:00 PM

Default My nudge won\'t budge

The PT24 system I work on is at a university and many people have access to it. We've run into a problem with our nudge function and nobody seems to know how to fix it.

No matter what edit mode we're in, when you highlight a reigon and press the plus or minus button nothing happens except that the first digit of the time counter is highlighted. I've tried it in both slip and shuffle and NEITHER work. They still highlight when you click on them, but they just don't move any reigon at all.

Is there something somebody could've done to ProTools or the Mac which caused this? How can I get it back to working the way it's supposed to? I'd be much obliged if anyone knew the answer to this. It would make me quite the hero around here.
Old 10-12-1999, 02:59 PM

Default Re: My nudge won\'t budge

I don't have PT's on this Mac but I'll give this a shot...

Go into GRID Mode (one of 4 buttons on the left side of the edit window). That should do it. If not, select Bars and Beats (from the view menu?). Select 1/4 notes from a pulldown menu on the right hand side of the edit window. Then try the + or - keys on the left keypad on your keyboard. Hope this helped. -Mick

------------------
--------
PT III TDM 4.3.1, DAE 3.4, Mac9600/system 8.1
Old 10-12-1999, 03:17 PM

You probably have Bars,beats selected but have no tempo map assigned.
Switch to SMPTE as the display and select samples as the nudge units.switch to grid mode a voila it works.
Regards
Mike
Old 10-12-1999, 05:11 PM

Both good suggestions, but neither worked. I tried EVERY kind of time base in all 4 edit modes and it keeps doing the same thing: nothing. I know I'm doing it right because I did it before and, just to make sure I hadn't forgotten something I looked it up in the manual again.

It's very simple: you highlight the reigon and hit the + to make it go foward and the - to make it go backward by whatever time increment you've selected. It just won't do it.

I can still grab reigons and place them anywhere in any track. I just can't nudge them once they're on the track. I've tried to check out every preference, system set-up menu, session set-up menu, etc. to see if maybe someone reset something. Can't find any reason why it would do this.

Thanks anyway. Let me know if you think of something else.
Old 10-13-1999, 01:30 AM

You could always try trashing your 'DigiSetup' file (this can be found in System Folder:Preferences). At least that way you know it's not an option in PT.
Old 10-14-1999, 07:51 PM

I have a similar problem... but in my case nudge only works backwards (using - key) but when I want to nudge forward (using + key) there is no response and the first digit of the locator is highlited... any suggestions?
Old 10-16-1999, 05:13 PM

dB

Do you have QuickKeys installed on the system? Someone could have re-directed those keys to do something clever...
Old 10-16-1999, 05:42 PM

Another possibility...

Are you using the standard U.S. keyboard layout, or an alternate one?

Lee Blaske
Old 10-18-1999, 11:31 AM

It was the KEYPAD! We got the best Mac guy on campus to troubleshoot, and he finally deduced (after several HOURS) that the computer wasn't getting a signal from the keyboard. But everything else on the keyboard worked.

As it turns out, it seems somebody, despite regulations prohibiting drinks in the room, decided to ignore the rule, and spilled a drink which got into the keypad and disabled a few buttons.

Thanks for your help guys. Now there's a new problem to contend with: it won't RECORD!
Old 04-10-2020, 11:43 AM

Default Re: My nudge won't budge

My Nudge wont budge a VIDEO track. Audio tracks budge fine,
I have everything set to frames and time code and nudge by 1 frame. I'm in grid, the video track will not budge, I can move it and I can group it, but when grouped and I try to nudge, the Audio budges the video does not. I have trashed preferences and workgroup settings.
I updated from 2019 where this started to 2020 and it continues.
It is driving me mad.