Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 07:53 AM

Default OT - How do I go about playing with a click live?

Can anyone fill me in on how my drummer can play with a click track live so we dont sound sucky? Any links to good products would be great. Thanks! My drummer has a electronic drum module with a click and a headphone output, but I don't think it would be loud enough. How do pro bands do this?
Old 05-25-2005, 08:33 AM

Default Re: OT - How do I go about playing with a click li

duct tape the headphones to his head and run the headphones through a powerful amplifier.
Mixerman will attest this will work for a few minutes.

Old 05-25-2005, 09:23 AM

Default Re: OT - How do I go about playing with a click li

I would suggest that your drummer invest in a quality set of headphones as well. I would try the Sennheiser MD-280 or Audio Technica ATH-D40 these are both great sets of headphones with good isolation for a nice price.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Re: OT - How do I go about playing with a click live?

IMHO - I have worked with hundreds of drummers in the studio, and I have found very few that could play to a click even under ideal situations. Playing to a click with a live band would be especially hard unless he can hear it very well, can actually stay with it (most cannot) and all other band members always let him lead (easier said than done).

Bottom line, if your drummer can't keep a steady enough beat live he could practice playing to click on his own to learn the feel of a steady tempo. Practicing any instrument with a click (or drum machine) going really helps you get your chops together and starts to erase any bad habits you might have where timing is concerned. I recommend it for everyone.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: OT - How do I go about playing with a click live?

There are also several products out on the market that attachto, or attach a trigger to a drum, for example -- the kick or snare -- and will display the average tempo. I'd recommend something like this because it can serve two purposes: 1) tap tempo so that the count-off is correct 2) monitor in real time the tempo so the drummer knows when they are drifting. I think Tama makes one and I recall seeing a product called Beat Bug or something like that too. I'm sure if you look around you will find them.
Win10
www.studiodrumtracks.com
www.doubledogrecording.com