Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2009, 08:10 AM

Default UAD vs TDM Plug-in

Hi all,
So,I use PT 8 HD II and i'm so tired with UAD2 in live mode.
So i'm thiking buying Accel card with some new plug in ( for realtime ).
What is the plug in (TDM) look like UAD?
Regards

nicolas
Old 12-07-2009, 05:27 PM

Default Re: UAD vs TDM Plug-in

Not quite sure of ur questions but, if ur saying does UAD plugins come in TDM, yes but from another source, Waves.
1176, LA2A, Pultec, LA3A, Fairchild are just a few. Soft Tube makes the CLb1 and that is amazing.
So yes, it is possible but, mind you sir, they are expensive in TDM. You can buy RTAS as well as they work the same. Just that the TDM are low to no delay compensation and you can use each plugin as a live plugin like hardware.

Hope this answers ur question....

Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 12-07-2009, 08:30 PM

Now is the time to buy any Waves TDM plug-ins. I got the Waves CLA TDM Bundle from Tony Belmont for a way good deal: www.highprofileaudio.com

These Plug-ins absolutely rock! You can find videos on You Tube of people comparing the UAD plug-ins to the CLA Waves versions. I preferred the Waves ones from the videos and they are sounding great in my current sessions.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 12-08-2009, 01:40 AM

I second the Waves CLA. As a former UAD TDM user (now sadly defunkt) I have to say I'm loving CLA. The LA3A is a nice additional, along with the blue striped 1176 (My all time favourite!)

Definitely worth a demo and some crazy prices around at the mo!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:49 AM

There are debates about this of the UAD2 v/s TDM cards----I really think there are some unique advantages to both directions. With the UAD2 card you do get some amazing plugins with the processing to power them. This type of processing provides the capability needed for plugins that are to the level of TDM plugins. In fact the UAD1 was really the first DSP-accelerated card for plugins that were easily accessible to any open-ended system that supported VST and DirectX, but the single processor that powered the card was taken from the video processor world. The issue was---that was all that could be placed on the card was that single processor. But now with the UAD2 you have a far more powerful, open-ended processor allowing for additional DSP chips to be added. The UAD1 really wasn't an option to use with a TDM system IMHO, but the UAD2 certainly is worth considering......

Okay so it opens up the world of new plugins with a great deal of processing, but it's still a native application. There is a low-latency "live" mode but the fact is it is still a native plugin. No the plugin itself isn't native in that it's own processing---however it is NOT part of the TDM engine and therefore has to rely on sample buffers and be processed through the audio system the way that an RTAS plugin would be. I've heard claims that there is no difference in the latency or performance, but personally I've not seen that. When I say NO DIFFERENCE I mean where it's completely transparent in tracking, mixing, plugin allocation, etc. In other words I select a plugin and it shows up in my DSP performance meter, I don't have to change buffers, change plugin modes, etc.

For me personally I have thought of adding the UAD2 Quad card for the sake of having it with my other applications (I also use Digital Performer, Logic, Final Cut, and a few others). But for the size projects and other productions that I do---I find the Waves Mercury covers pretty much anything I could need. I also have the McDSP Emerald Pack and well, soooo many other plugins. If I add a 4th Accel card, I can keep using these plugins if I needed more processing.....but a UAD2 card will only work with its plugins and its card. If you need more processing, you have to add another card for those plugins---or add more plugins for its card.

I use ProToolsHD not only for typical studio tracking and mixing, but for live broadcast. I can have as many as 80-tracks coming through live where I need ZERO LATENCY with 100% Phase Accuracy with the Auto Delay Compensation. Again, total and complete transparency to me. THIS is where, for ME, the TDM processing is completely unparalleled and unrivaled. I'll have my Venue DSHOW console at FOH with the HD rig and a Control24 in the broadcast studio mixing to live television. It just has to work, and it does. If I want 100-channels of SSL EQ with 40-channels of LA2A and 1176 compressors, (10) revibes, (2) Reverb Ones, (1) Eleven, several channels of Eventide HD3000, dozens of the McDSP Analog Channel, etc...I still have plenty of processing to go and don't have to worry about over-loading the buffer. Now this is an extreme version, but for me---it's completely transparent because it's 100% TDM.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derF View Post
I second the Waves CLA. As a former UAD TDM user (now sadly defunkt) I have to say I'm loving CLA. The LA3A is a nice additional, along with the blue striped 1176 (My all time favourite!)

Definitely worth a demo and some crazy prices around at the mo!
I third it. I also used to have UAD TDM and the waves stuff sounds better. I’m glad I decided to suck it up and get mercury. I have more than everything I need, I’m always getting new stuff for free and it all sounds awesome. Like the others said, get it now because I’m sure the price will go up after the holidays.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:36 AM

Thanks for all you answer
I'll try Waves .
regards
nicolas
Old 12-11-2009, 07:32 AM

Hi,

I just have to chine in here and say that i have both Waves mercury bundle and Most of the UAD plugins, and there is no "one" sounding better than the other! or better than many of the other top plugin developers. They all have slightly different strengths and weaknesses...

UAD have been modeling vintage outboard for a long time and have mastered it pretty much 100%! nothing comes as close to the real thing as a UAD plugin period. Do you want it to model the real thing exact? thats another debate

As per sound? "quality" Well all the top developers have great sounding products! and both UAD and Waves and many of the other top developers have been offering double precision plugins for quite a long time now (Wave renaissance etc)

Ease of use? I love the UAD for this; Scroll wheel support! and great easy to use and navigate GUI's, i can get what i want in seconds other vendors also have scroll wheel support... URS/ Brainworx/ PSP/ SPL etc. Waves have just lost me with ease of control since the version 7 velocity sensitive bug! hopefully they will get this sorted asap.

Cost? Once you have purchased a UAD card, then the plugins are very reasonably priced and they have monthly offers etc. 1176 currently $104 Fairchild 670 $104 and the awesome EMT 250 reverb $224 all future updates are completely FREE!!

I love my Waves plugs, i love my UAD plugs, I love my Brainworx plugs, i love my DUY/SPL/Serato/PSP/EMI/URS/McDsp/Eventide/Massey and more.

Just my thoughts on the subject

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.