Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-25-2018, 12:12 PM

Default HD Native in TDM system

Hi, a rather unusual question here I suspect, so please read carefully:

On a Mac Pro tower/OS X 10.9 with Pro Tools 10HD TDM running on a Magma expansion chassis, would it be possible to have an HD Native card physically in the machine *but without any of its associated software installed* and still run the TDM system without any ill effects?

The reason I'd want to do this is so I could install/run the HD Native system (and all associated drivers, etc.) on a separate hard drive running PTHD 12/2018, separate audio I/O etc., on OS Sierra, with the Magma chassis shut off. Presumably this mode shouldn't be a problem, since the system would 'see' only the above mentioned Native hardware/software, and the TDM system would be invisible inside the 'dark' chassis (I've already confirmed that a Sierra OS install is not a problem in this rig sans any PT software installs).

So the heart of the question is whether the mere presence of an HD Native card (again - with *no* related software/drivers installed) in the 10.9/PT10 environment would kibosh the functionality of the TDM system on the external chassis.

Any insights would be welcome, particularly by anyone who might have already tried this!

Thank you
Old 09-25-2018, 01:58 PM

Default Re: HD Native in TDM system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Spencer View Post
So the heart of the question is whether the mere presence of an HD Native card (again - with *no* related software/drivers installed) in the 10.9/PT10 environment would kibosh the functionality of the TDM system on the external chassis.
I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone who has ever tried this but if no HDnative (HDX) drivers are installed on that partition, then it is the equivalent of not being there to the system.

And same the other way for the Sierra partition not "seeing" the TDM cards. Pro Tools 12 won't recognize they exist. You should even be able to keep the magma chassis on.