Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-30-2016, 12:39 PM

Default 12.6.1 Still Hasn't Completely Fixed Batch Fades...

Prior to 12.6 you could use the "F" Key to apply Batch Fades and, if you unchecked "Adjust Existing Fades" any existing fades would remain and only new Fades with your Parameters would be applied. In 12.6, this was not the case and using the "F" Key would only apply the default fade length you set, but, no matter your setting, existing fades would also be changed to your default setting. To have your existing fades untouched, you would need to use Ctrl/Cmd/F to open the Batch Fades Dialogue and then Okay that. Some were also having an issue where, no matter their default fade setting, the original 10 ms default fade length would be applied. See the thread here.

According to the Read Me for 12.6.1, the fade length issue has been resolved:

"Fade length settings from the batch fades dialog are now used when pressing the single-key "f" command to create fades (PT-218064)"

However, the issue of existing fades being adjusted has NOT been fixed, at least for me. I still have to use Ctrl/F and Okay the Batch Fades dialogue. Using just "F" applies my default fade setting, but still adjusts the existing fades to that default length.

I'm on Windows 10 and PT12.6.1. Can users who have updated to 12.6.1 on Windows and/or Mac, please confirm this issue or is it just my setup?

At least Avid gave us back the legacy Fine Break Point Adjustment that was in this thread.

One out of two ain't bad?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-01-2016, 03:11 PM

Default Re: 12.6.1 Still Hasn't Completely Fixed Batch Fades...

Anyone else noticing this?
SonoBus
Old 12-02-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post

hey weed, i just tested in 12.6.1 ..

1) i created 2 Clips on track #1 and 2 on another track
2) highlighted the 2 clips - hit F key and fades were created on both clips of track one
3) then hit Command F and changed the in / out fade amounts so i would see the change happen
4) highlight the clips on #2 - hit F key and the fades are applied BUT are not affecting the other Track ..

so in this test it works properly .. am i doing it the same way you did ??? if not, please advise what i am not doing the same ..

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 12-02-2016, 08:08 PM

Hi john, thanks for testing and replying. My apologies for not being clearer.

I mainly voice radio and TV commercials and corporate narration, so one track of audio normally. Once I finish editing, I used to highlight all the clips and use "F" to apply my default fade length, without changing any fades I'd already manually applied as I had unchecked "Adjust Existing Fades." To get the same behavior now I have to open the Fades Dialogue, then okay that.

Here's how I tested 12.6.1:

I had one audio clip on one track. I separated this clip into 4 clips, 1, 2, 3 and 4. Using the Smart Tool I put a long fade in on clip 1 and a long fade out on clip 4. I then highlighted all four clips and applied my fade settings using "F". This applied my personal default fade length of 5 ms as a crossfade between clips 1 and 2, 2 and 3 and 3 and 4. However, even though I have "Adjust Existing Fades " UNchecked, the long fade in and out on clips one and four were also changed to 5 ms. This is not supposed to happen.

When I use the Fades Dialogue and Okay that, the 5 ms crossfades are applied AND my long fade in and out are NOT changed.

This, as far as I can tell, started happening in 12.6 for me and continues for me in 12.6.1.
SonoBus
Old 12-03-2016, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Hi john, thanks for testing and replying. My apologies for not being clearer.

I mainly voice radio and TV commercials and corporate narration, so one track of audio normally. Once I finish editing, I used to highlight all the clips and use "F" to apply my default fade length, without changing any fades I'd already manually applied as I had unchecked "Adjust Existing Fades." To get the same behavior now I have to open the Fades Dialogue, then okay that.

Here's how I tested 12.6.1:

I had one audio clip on one track. I separated this clip into 4 clips, 1, 2, 3 and 4. Using the Smart Tool I put a long fade in on clip 1 and a long fade out on clip 4. I then highlighted all four clips and applied my fade settings using "F". This applied my personal default fade length of 5 ms as a crossfade between clips 1 and 2, 2 and 3 and 3 and 4. However, even though I have "Adjust Existing Fades " UNchecked, the long fade in and out on clips one and four were also changed to 5 ms. This is not supposed to happen.

When I use the Fades Dialogue and Okay that, the 5 ms crossfades are applied AND my long fade in and out are NOT changed.

This, as far as I can tell, started happening in 12.6 for me and continues for me in 12.6.1.
hi bruce, i was off in my testing .. i am seeing Existing Fade Length's change .. in 12.6.1 .. i just happened to have made my IN Fade the same length as the Batch Fade Length ..

john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 12-03-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Yes. Not sure, but I think it came when I updated 12.5.x (maybe .2). and it has been really pita before I used to use cmd+F again (which works just like F before). I would also like to see simple F coming back for batch fades.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:29 AM

Thanks guys. not good, but glad it's not just me.

I pointed one of the Avid Reps to this thread so maybe it will get some attention.

If I have time, I'll post on IdeaScale.
SonoBus
Old 02-09-2017, 02:08 PM

I'm still having this same issue. Running PT 12.7.0 on Mac OS 10.11.6. Would also love to see batch 'F' working properly, as it's a keyboard shortcut that I use constantly in my post work.

Where's the best place for us to make it known to Avid that this is still a bug that needs to be squashed?
Old 02-09-2017, 02:24 PM

I couldn't use any 12.5 or 12.6 here. 12.4 was pretty solid and now 12.7 seems even better(but not perfect)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-09-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reducedfatoreo View Post
I'm still having this same issue. Running PT 12.7.0 on Mac OS 10.11.6. Would also love to see batch 'F' working properly, as it's a keyboard shortcut that I use constantly in my post work.

Where's the best place for us to make it known to Avid that this is still a bug that needs to be squashed?
It's not fixed in 12.7. IIRC, Jeffro from Avid has acknowledged this and moved it up the line. No idea as to when or of there will be a fix. I just open up the Fade Dialogue now and apply the Batch Fades as doing that applies them properly. If they do fix it, I'll have to relearn "F".
SonoBus