Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2017, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Win-10 - Leaves a lot to be desired!

No Win 10 issues here. Runs all day every day.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-12-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
No Win 10 issues here. Runs all day every day.

Same here. I would be running LTSB except the Avid driver signing doesn't work. Drivers work fine in Creator. full blown Creator runs no less as well even with all the extras Microsoft apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-13-2017, 08:39 AM

You have obvious problems. I build a LOT of systems and Windows 10 is probably my favorite OS give or take a couple minor quirks that are fixable with other apps. Windows 10 is (can be) very fast. I would never recommend updating a system for major version updates though. Clean installs are always best.

I sell audio optimized versions of Windows 10, but you have to get the hardware with it ;-)

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-13-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Something's very wrong. I would reinstall and run bog standard and completely up to date with no tweaks of any kind. (I.E. the same way people run Macs.) Tweaks seem to make no difference or even cause problems unlike the world of XP.
I tweak Win10 pretty hard. It has a lot of unnecessary background stuff running and I do quite a bit in the registry, power settings, USB performance specific settings, there is quite a bit. Most everything from the Win7 days and quite a bit of 10 specific stuff. It makes quite a difference.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-14-2017, 06:43 PM

I am having zero problems with my Win 10 installation, and it completely kills my previous Mac systems I have had in terms of Pro Tools performance. I have been building systems for 22 years though, and did some research into what chipsets and video cards work well for PT systems.

BTW I always disable power saving features on my recording rigs. MacOS and Windows.

G
Old 05-15-2017, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
I am having zero problems with my Win 10 installation, and it completely kills my previous Mac systems I have had in terms of Pro Tools performance. I have been building systems for 22 years though, and did some research into what chipsets and video cards work well for PT systems.

BTW I always disable power saving features on my recording rigs. MacOS and Windows.

G
Can you elaborate what you mean by Kill your Mac system? What Mac did you have and what changed ? Thanks

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-15-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post

I sell audio optimized versions of Windows 10, but you have to get the hardware with it ;-)
Please elaborate on that.

Long before I made the jump, I asked in this forum about what things I'd need to consider in upgrading. If someone mentioned doing it as a clean install only, I did not see it. It would be nice if Avid would have provided more guidance about Win-10 for their users. If the Win-10 optimizations listed on the Avid webpage aren't enough, then they should change it and add ALL the changes required. It should not be the case that one needs to be a software engineer or have the level of expertise a software programmer has in order to get Pro Tools to operate correctly and error free in a common OS environment.

If I had known there was a pre-configured version of Win-10 out there, I might have gone that route.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:44 AM

When I first went to Windows 10, the upgrade from Windows 7 was the best I'd ever experienced to be honest. I went the upgrade route to get the free license from MS. I don't recall there being anything that didn't work for me, just had to go through the Optimisation Guide again, and I think a workaround to get the legacy firewire drivers.

I ended up formatting and starting fresh shortly after anway as I bought an SSD, and it was a good opportunity.

On a side note, I just picked up an older used HP computer, and the free upgrade to Windows 10 still works, just punch in your Windows 7 key during install. That was from a clean install too!

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 05-15-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Please elaborate on that.

Long before I made the jump, I asked in this forum about what things I'd need to consider in upgrading. If someone mentioned doing it as a clean install only, I did not see it. It would be nice if Avid would have provided more guidance about Win-10 for their users. If the Win-10 optimizations listed on the Avid webpage aren't enough, then they should change it and add ALL the changes required. It should not be the case that one needs to be a software engineer or have the level of expertise a software programmer has in order to get Pro Tools to operate correctly and error free in a common OS environment.

If I had known there was a pre-configured version of Win-10 out there, I might have gone that route.
It has always been recommended to do a clean install with any major OS updates, that includes OSX or Windows. I think to a certain extent, most of us assume everyone knows that by now. I can honestly say, I don't think anyone here would recommend updating from 7 to 10 without doing a clean install. Sure you could find lots of posts on this when 10 was rolling out or any major OS update.

I could not really expect Avid to break it down to this level. Avid has to assume our OS installs are working properly. There is no way to test every possible configuration. Its one of those things, it may work fine for person A, but person B may have problems.

No disrespect and not trying to sound rude with the above

As far as "audio optimized", It was more sarcasm. I was referring to our Pro Tools PC's. The systems are heavily configured and optimized.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-15-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
It has always been recommended to do a clean install with any major OS updates, that includes OSX or Windows. I think to a certain extent, most of us assume everyone knows that by now. I can honestly say, I don't think anyone here would recommend updating from 7 to 10 without doing a clean install. Sure you could find lots of posts on this when 10 was rolling out or any major OS update.

I could not really expect Avid to break it down to this level. Avid has to assume our OS installs are working properly. There is no way to test every possible configuration. Its one of those things, it may work fine for person A, but person B may have problems.

No disrespect and not trying to sound rude with the above

As far as "audio optimized", It was more sarcasm. I was referring to our Pro Tools PC's. The systems are heavily configured and optimized.
I know you're being helpful...believe me I do, so no offense taken on my end!

Part of my frustration is that it feels like no matter how careful I try to be to understand and read up on everything I need to do to have things optimized for Pro Tools and audio, and no matter how carefully I try to make sure all things in my system are compatible and meet the requirements, there's always some OTHER thing that should have been done that I didn't read about, or wasn't told or whatever. Its like if you're not a computer software engineer, its not possible for you to actually use Pro Tools. That's how it often feels. I'm sick and tired of having to trouble shoot some new thing every single day, or having some new problem pop up. Today, I turn on my PC, and Win-10 tells me it can't open my account. I'm the only friggin' account on the PC for Pete's sake. So I reboot, Windows comes up, but several of my Desktop icons are just missing...like Pro Tools for one. The programs are all there, but my Desktop layout is all different. Its stuff like that, which I have no way to explain, that drives me nuts.

I didn't change anything on Win-10 other than what was the suggested optimizations. And then this. I just don't get it!