Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 12-09-2016, 05:53 AM

Default Assertion error?

Good Morning. Yesterday I was in the process of preparing a song for final mix
When a popup screen appeared with the words "assertion error" followed by text and numbers that may as well have been Martian! I could not exit the screen, not even using control, alt., delete. Nothing worked. No way to resume Pro tools! I finally used system restore. I had to do that 3 times before it finally worked! I have no idea what could have caused this. The last thing I remember doing was using the Write automation feature to pan some drum rolls from left to right across the stereo spectrum. How could this have caused the lock down of PT's? Anyone?
Old 12-09-2016, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Assertion error?

Hmmm, can't say I recall ever seeing that one here Is this on your Creation Station that you have had for a long time? Might be worth a call to SW to see if they have any idea

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-09-2016, 03:09 PM

Assertion errors are more often than not the hard drives not being fast enough and halts the audio streaming and you get an assertion error 1504 etc so check your hard drives and see if they are over commissioned and if this happens more frequently the drive/drives might be giving up. Especislly if you only use older spinner drives. Make sure you have backups if your work should one of them give in and die on you.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-10-2016, 05:19 AM

The drive I'm using for my Protools sessions is an ssd and isn't that old. A year or so, and I'm sure there's not that much on it , the capacity is in terrabytes. (sorry about the spelling.)
Old 12-10-2016, 05:31 AM

Thanks Dave. Yes it is my aging creation station. I hope it will last a little longer.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
The drive I'm using for my Protools sessions is an ssd and isn't that old. A year or so, and I'm sure there's not that much on it , the capacity is in terrabytes. (sorry about the spelling.)
My guess is either one of the drives you have is not working correctly. Do you have an SSD drive for everything like PT/OS/Samples etc or do you have another drive for windows OS and if so, what is that model?

It might also be a CPU error which i have seen in several places and they have assertion errors aswell.

Terry, how many drives do you have when working and what models ? Only SSD or spinners too?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-10-2016, 01:13 PM

Uh well if you want help here the exact error message would kinda be useful wouldn't it.

Make sure you are working on a NTFS (Not FAT-32) filesystem volume.

Even better run a sandra report of your system and post here. Add a not to make it clear what drive partitons shown in that Sandra report are used for what (e.g. boot/system, audio/sessions, VI samples, backups, etc.).
Old 12-11-2016, 06:21 AM

Thanks Christopher. I'll try to answer your questions. Protools 9 is on my system hard drive that came installed from Sweetwater. I must assume that it is a spinner and of the correct speed,(7200 rpm). As you are aware my ability to understand tech talk is minimal at best so I don't comprehend partitions. All I can say is that the operating system, (Windows) is on the system drive and I assume all the other stuff that's necessary for the computer to function as well. My protools sessions,(songs) are on the SSD drive. As rule I try to trash preferences often. I don't know that it matters but I have numerous web sites on my favorites list. Mostly Youtube instructional and my favorite artists. I hope you can make some sense of all this. if not, at least thanks for trying to help.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:56 AM

Thank you Darryl Ramm for your usual sarcasm! You know some of us aren't exactly up to your standards and, although I would feel great if my ability to comprehend was at a level that you could accept, it simply is not due to things that have occurred to me that I have no control over! There are also some who were, shall we say born to late to get in on the ground floor of computer technology and could not take the time off from earning a living to learn about computers. That said, I have kept silent for a long time while seeing your curt and disrespectful responses to other members posts who are trying to learn but lack the knowledge to advance further without help for whatever reason! Perhaps you are attempting some form of motivation through embarrassment! Whatever your reasons I find them to be bullying! Now! I will submit the requested Sandra report in hopes that it will yield some answers. In closing I am asking, are you an administrator? Exactly what is your position as far as Avid is concerned or, are you just a member like me? I need another cup of coffee!
Old 12-11-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Thank you Darryl Ramm for your usual sarcasm! You know some of us aren't exactly up to your standards and, although I would feel great if my ability to comprehend was at a level that you could accept, it simply is not due to things that have occurred to me that I have no control over! There are also some who were, shall we say born to late to get in on the ground floor of computer technology and could not take the time off from earning a living to learn about computers. That said, I have kept silent for a long time while seeing your curt and disrespectful responses to other members posts who are trying to learn but lack the knowledge to advance further without help for whatever reason! Perhaps you are attempting some form of motivation through embarrassment! Whatever your reasons I find them to be bullying! Now! I will submit the requested Sandra report in hopes that it will yield some answers. In closing I am asking, are you an administrator? Exactly what is your position as far as Avid is concerned or, are you just a member like me? I need another cup of coffee!
I think you need more than a cup of coffee. You need some common sense about providing a usefully level of information here if you want others to help you.

If you have a technical error and you want help on it post the exact text of the message. You may not understand anything about it, and nobody here should expect you have to to get help, but post the thing here and folks might have a chance of helping you. How the hell do you expect people to guess which of likely many thousands of assert errors in the code you are hitting?

Sandra reports are expected on DUC, you have been around long enough to know that. If you are having problems just post the report when you ask about the problem.

Did you try Googling for the error message? That often gets a quick answer to any questions. And kinda suggested in the guides here that you do that before you post on DUC.

And you admit to struggling with technology but you leapt in and started doing stuff with System Restore before contacting Sweetwater support or asking for suggestions/advice here? You seriously need to slow down and sort things out or get somebody to help you with the computer side of things before you do major harm to your system or your projects.

And most Pro Tools asserts should not have locked up the system. It is very hard to get a computer in a state that will not respond to CTRL-ALT-DEL. If the computer overall appears to be wedged the first suspect there is going to be a faulty device driver or device hardware. If that happens again get help before doing anything yourself.

But you will get no more help from me. Straight to the block list.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-11-2016 at 10:44 AM.