Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2014, 01:45 PM

Default Interstellar

I wonder why there's no Dolby Atmos or Auro-3D mix especially considering how Chris Nolan said how important sound is in this movie and how he wanted to create a truly immersive experience? This would have been a perfect film for immersive surround.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Interstellar

Because Nolan prefers IMAX, That is his sound choice.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:24 PM

Too bad. The mix would have benefited from more (spatial) transparency IMO. It felt like everything was crammed into the screen speakers. Then again, this seemed to be his artistic choice this time.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:27 PM

Just watched the film. It feels as if the forgot to pull down the music VCA, a number of times. Great score, definitely defines the film, but it could not have been a wee bit more elegantly "presented". At least that is my humble opinion.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:11 AM

There's been a lot of press about the mix on this film eg - http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014...istopher-nolan - http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...-is-a-problem/ . My take on it is that it was deliberately mixed with dialogue pretty squashed out in places, but somewhere in the various folddowns and imperfect cinemas, what was "a bit edgy" in the dubbing theatre became "completely inaudible" for many. It's one thing in a loud scene where there's general vague shouting, but losing crucial elements of the plot in what should be quiet scenes is another.

For me, it's absurd. The makers seem to think it all adds to an immersive experience. I think it has preceisely the opposite effect. If you find yourself going "huh? What did he say?" at crucial moments, it takes you right out of the film - you start to wonder why you can't hear any of the words, at which point you've broken the fourth wall and you may as well dolly out to reveal the boom, lighting rig and B camera.

For me - mix fail. But I'm sure of one thing - the buck stops at Christopher Nolan, not the mixing team.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 11-23-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
If you find yourself going "huh? What did he say?" at crucial moments, it takes you right out of the film - you start to wonder why you can't hear any of the words, at which point you've broken the fourth wall and you may as well dolly out to reveal the boom, lighting rig and B camera.
Amen!
I had a moment like that in Gone Girl when there was a party scene. I thought the cinema had accidentally boosted the surround channels.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:25 PM

There are several artistic parameters in which this film differs from what we got used to watch.
The Kodak media choice, scenes out of focus (I mean steady Close Up's ones), an inappropriate colour grading in some events, un-intelligible dialogs and over loud score…and things go on.
After I watched the film I went home pretty much shocked. And yes, I was immersed (a new trendy term) like I wasn't for a long time. And I do visit cinema pretty often.
I think Nolan created very believable and authentic drama. At least he might want me leaving the cinema with the shocked deep feeling. I don't know. But that was my feeling.
All you guys said here and on the GS is true. I understand what you mean by the "inappropriate made decisions."
At the same time I am absolutely sure that these decisions are artistically boosting the drama and the overall experience.
I don't believe in "artistic reason" excuses as stand alone but I do believe in it as a concept.
I must admit that this concept worked very well for me. No matter how loud was the mix, unintelligible were the DX's and too hot was the score.
That was the Nolan's choice. And IMHO it was his best film so far.
You'll disagree and say its technically imperfect.
Its an art - no science.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 11-26-2014, 02:23 PM

Personally, I didn't "notice" the audio, which is a good thing, except for the sometimes-WAY TOO FRIGGIN' LOUD parts. I shouldn't have to stick my fingers in my ears, should I?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-26-2014, 06:02 PM

It's always easy to use the term art to make excuses for crappy mix choices that make no sense.
I'm sure they used the same excuse for the abysmal mix of " Public Enemies".

Living the dream.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:40 AM

Always interesting to see this kind of debate yet there is usually no way to settle these kinds of debates. And no need.
Humans typically don't agree on much, nor is the ambivalence of everyday language something that helps to hide that we are all wrong much of the time however confidently we express our opinions.

Ah well,
I find that loud films with immersive sound design benefits from me being slightly tipsy in the theatre as it makes your hearing less acute and your intellect more accepting to stuff that you would not accept after morning coffee in the mixing stage. Same thing when the third-act twist is too obvious.
Fantasy and Sci-Fi flicks typically and unfortunately need add-ons to pass at least my cognitive lithmustest.
My tip? Well, dirty martinis make the whole world more immersive