Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2008, 09:34 AM

Default Pro Tools HD without a mixer or control surface. Ways to connect to your monitors

I got a PT HD 2 with a 192 i/o. I have no mixer as I only really record 1-4 inputs at a time. I need to buy something to be able to control the volume of the speakers and headphones.
I have checked Mackie's Big Knob. But is this relly good?
Another possibility is to wait for the replacement of the Command|8 (when?) and use it as a controller and monitor control.
What does people without a mixer/controller use?
Old 12-08-2008, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD without a mixer or control surface. Ways to connect to your monitors

I used a Yamaha 01V with a AES/EBU card as my monitor controller and DA for a few years. Then I bought a Benchmark DAC1 with DA-conversion + stepped level control in the front. A big step up soundwise. Now I have a D-Command, but still use the Benchmark as my DAC.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD without a mixer or control surface. Ways to connect to your monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intini View Post
I got a PT HD 2 with a 192 i/o. I have no mixer as I only really record 1-4 inputs at a time. I need to buy something to be able to control the volume of the speakers and headphones.
I have checked Mackie's Big Knob. But is this relly good?
Another possibility is to wait for the replacement of the Command|8 (when?) and use it as a controller and monitor control.
What does people without a mixer/controller use?
We use the Big Knob for monitor control. But we also create headphone mixes ITB sending out to a Headphone amp (mono btw).
Old 12-08-2008, 12:12 PM

I use the m906 from Grace Design, it is 5.1 with a remote controller and it sounds fantastic! They also have a cheaper stereo version m904 without a remote controller. I also have a ProControl but I do not use the analog monitoring section, the m906 is much much better

Mac Pro 2019 - 3.2GHz 16-core - 96GB RAM - macOS 14.4.1 - PT HDX3 - Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3.1 - Avid HD I/O 16x16 (x2) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital - Digidesign 192 I/O - Digidesign 192D I/O (x3) - Avid SYNC HD - Apogee Big Ben - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Avid S3 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) - iConnectivity mioXL (x4) - Genelec ‘The Ones’ 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music monitoring (AES/EBU) with 8341A (x5) + 8331A (x10) + 7360A (x2) + 9301B - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins
Old 12-08-2008, 12:54 PM

Check out:

http://cranesong.com/AVOCET.html

Another solution to consider.
I've been extremely happy with this unit.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:07 PM

I've been extremely pleased with the Crane Song Avocet, which I've had for a couple of years. It has great routing for inputs (3 digital pairs plus 3 analog pairs) & outputs (3 pairs), plus integrated talkback & phones control. Also, their tech support has been excellent for the few questions I've had. Highly recommended!!

http://cranesong.com/AVOCET.html

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 12-08-2008, 04:55 PM

Another Big Yes For Avocet
First and most important of all very transparent
Every component under the hood is top quality
Lots of in, out, talkback and phones options
Excellent tech support
Last but not least (unlike most others) its an aesthetically pleasing piece of audio gear
Old 12-08-2008, 05:10 PM

Thank you all! That is great!
People who uses/tried the AVOCET and Grace Design controllers, what do you have to say about the Big Knob from Mackie?
Old 12-08-2008, 05:32 PM

Try This:
http://www.neyrinck.com/Pages/vmon.html

There is a 14 day demo. See what you think.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:34 PM

Before I went with the Avocet, I had been listening through a Mackie HUI, and becoming increasingly frustrated with what I WASN'T hearing. I asked around a LOT about different controllers, and I was trying to spend as little money as possible. Everyone who'd heard it said the Big Knob was "okay", but essentially the same as listening through a small Mackie mixer. That's not a bad solution for occasional use, but not great if you work long days, and definitely nowhere near as good as a professional unit like the Avocet.

You get what you pay for, and I've never regretted putting out the extra money to get a MUCH better piece of gear. It was like I'd bought new monitors, with a huge improvement in sonic detail, depth & soundscape. Panning, reverb tails, low-end clarity... all became much more defined. HTH.

Warmest Regards,
Brian