Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2009, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE 10th Anniversary!

Ahhh, yeah, the Digi 001. I was so excited when I could finally afford one. A nice change from PT FREE and a soundblaster card, which I bought the $50 Dverb for. I was actually doing production for a large radio network with that PT Free setup. lol I was feeling pretty 'pro' with that Digi 001 though, that was stuffed into the corner of an apartment living room.

I was also pretty excited when I got my 001 because it came with Dverb for free, on a floppy no less, which was some promotion Digi was doing I think. That was a $500 savings baby! ha ha (or was it cheaper?)

Anyway, happy b-day Digi 001! I have lots of fun memories associated with that box.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
So, we can party like it's 1999.
ON'EIM!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM View Post
Happy B'day!

Let's see what is jumping out of the Birthday cake!?
Hopefully NOT Tamara!
U never know what will happen with Tamara; She's never, or is it always home
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
like a girlfirend that can pi$$ ya off in a big way, we luv ya...mostly!!! seriously, congrats to DIGI (and i know your name is AVID now)!! here's hopin' ya make some BIG noise on the scene in the comin' months!!
Even tho I'm pretty kool w/PT now, more is always better(I think)
Quote:
+1
+2

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 09-24-2009, 08:48 AM

I was a just a few years behind the curve when I got my 001, but it definitely filled a need for me. I had been using Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 (one of the better versions IMHO) with a MOTU 2408 rack, and several of my colleagues were using Pro Tools/001 and had been hounding me to switch. I even tried "Pro Tools Free", but that didnt' really work out well for me (I found out why later).
I really hated the new "Sonar" at the time, and had already made the decision that I wasn't going to follow that upgrade path (I eventually did, but that's beside the point).

I finally caved, sold the MOTU, and got the 001 with 5.3 (with free DVerb! ). The first problem I had was that I was still using win98 and 5.3 no longer supported it, so I had to shell out some buck$ for XP. Once I finally got it installed, I still had nothing but problems with the thing, which led me... here.

I had found the DUC.

I also found that my PC had an incompatible SiS chipset, and wasn't going to work with the 001 (which is also why PT Free didn't work). So my first experience with the 001 was an expen$ive one; new 001, new OS, and a new PC (built it myself, though). The projects I got shortly after I got it (and mostly because of it) paid for it all, though.
Once I got it running, and really started using it, I was really impressed and hooked on the audio recording/editing, but after using Cakewalk since version 2, felt the MIDI functionality was severely lacking. So much so that I still used cakewalk for a long time for MIDI (and sometimes still do ), and imported into PT when necessary. What a pain.

We've come a long way.

I upgraded to the 002R almost immediately when EOL was announced for the 001, and of course had to buy a qualified FW card to do so. Sold the 001 on ebay while it was still worth something.

All in all, I would say my experience with Pro Tools has been satisfying, with a few negative feelings (getting raped paying for plug-ins that are included in the next major version... boy that feels good! NOT. Now I know how the early DVerb-ers felt).

And I am looking forward to what they have in store, but can honestly say that certain features are going to have to be added if this product is to succeed in the long run.

Happy birthday!

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-24-2009, 12:14 PM

I might sing a strain of happy birthday but I will leave out the "and many more..."

Anyway as good a time as any to retire this old account, which I believe was created in 1997. I want to wish all of you well in your future choice of DAW. Au revoir.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
I might sing a strain of happy birthday but I will leave out the "and many more..."

Anyway as good a time as any to retire this old account, which I believe was created in 1997. I want to wish all of you well in your future choice of DAW. Au revoir.
Very strange Peppertree... What Are you up to?
Old 09-24-2009, 12:31 PM

In 2001 I moved back home so I could go back to school and focus on my degree. Surfing the web one night I discovered ProTools FREE, the free 8-track version of the software. It was all downhill from there. I stuck with this for about two years while I finished school, then after getting a job I bought myself a Digi 001.

I still have quite a few recordings I made with it. :) I had an awful lot of fun with that little piece of hardware. Now I'm using a 002 Rack with Focusrite and Apogee converters and outboard preamps and such, but I still remember the 001 fondly.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
Very strange Peppertree... What Are you up to?
Yea, what? Say it ain't so.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 09-24-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Yea, what?
He's now Peedertree

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 09-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Space Cabin Audio

I still remember getting my 001 home for the first time. I had never owned a computer, but had been recording for a few years on a Fostex Digital 8 track. I asked the guy at the store if it worked with Windows. Of course he said............
I got home and had Pro Tools 5.1.1 with Dverb on a floppy. I was so stoked! It took me 3 months to get it working. Keep in mind I had never owned a computer at that point.

I have not looked back since. That little box let me work on projects I would have never imagined being a part of. I for one love pro tools. Sure there are things I want (AHEM: OFF LINE BOUNCE) but for the most part, pro tools treats me well and feeds me well.

Happy 10 DIGI. I am drinking a beer in your honour right now.

Kris
May the music move you
Old 09-24-2009, 05:41 PM

during the 001 years i was working on tdm mix systems on the lovely 5.1 and never touched a 001 except to do setups and teaching on the side. i was also using logic quite a bit for all the midi production. pt sucked in this area and has made huge strides the last year or so in that dept.

i had no system at home but decided i was gonna get one and decided to wait for the 002r and picked it up the weekend it came out. i still use the same interface....

the software has made huge strides over the years, especially the last couple and would like to see it retain this pace. skipping the 6.0-6.4 debacle, all in all it has been pretty good.

now the next 2 big hurdles are adc and 64 bit. i would also hope maybe a push towards the native dept and drop a lot of the whole le-hd thing that is so unecessary.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10