Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2009, 03:04 PM

Default Using Logic and Pro Tools Together

I have two computers, one running Pro Tools and the other running Logic. They're wired to each other using ethernet and I'd like to be able to run them in tandem, so they'll both play together when I'm controlling one of them.

The computer running Pro Tools HD 7.4 is a Mac G5 with a Dual 2.3 GHz Power PC G5 Processor and 6.5 GB DDR SDRAM, and is running Mac OS X 10.4.11.

The computer running Logic 8.0.2 is a Mac G5 with a Dual 2.7 GHz Power PC G5 Processor and 3.5 GB DDR SDRAM, running the same OS as the Pro Tools computer.

Would it be possible to link Pro Tools and Logic together using this setup? If so, how?
Old 09-16-2009, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Using Logic and Pro Tools Together

It would be easy if the egos of the respective companies would allow it.

They really don't want you to do this. They are very vain girls who refuse to let you have a mistress.

I imagine Mr. Toolbox or someone knows how to make it work though.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I imagine Mr. Toolbox or someone knows how to make it work though.
I'm afraid there isn't an ethernet only solution for this setup...

At present ethernet audio is a one way street from pc to mac only.

You can send midi between the two machines with ipmidi, but that's about it. Being that PPC support has been dropped by all of the relevant developers, I don't think there will ever be an ethernet audio software that will work with these.

What exactly do you need to share between the two programs?
Old 04-29-2010, 01:28 PM

a reply a year later:

this setup is very common for film composers. you can use midioverlan or IAC networked to control MMC/tc etc. there are tutorials on youtibe for this.
and also, depending on your way of working, you can have PT be the DAW transmitting midi or just as audio computer to mix audio.

as for audio, sadly the only solution is SSL's delta link and alpha link. you could also have 4 d192 and do it via adat. but the ssl madi solution is cheaper. (or lots more analog 192)
maybe lynx with madi card. etc.

maybe with avid buying euphonix which has madi I/os a better and more affordable solution might appear in the future.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:11 PM

i do this with my rig, logic 9 and pro tools 8, i connect them via midi using my apogee ensemble on logic and profire 2626 on pro tools, then set my pro tools as master and i link them via midi time code...so i usse pro tools and logic at same time...
Old 04-29-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
a reply a year later:

as for audio, sadly the only solution is SSL's delta link and alpha link. you could also have 4 d192 and do it via adat. but the ssl madi solution is cheaper. (or lots more analog 192)
maybe lynx with madi card. etc.

maybe with avid buying euphonix which has madi I/os a better and more affordable solution might appear in the future.
How is SSL delta/alpha link the only solution?

VE pro is one very affordable solution available now that requires no audio interfaces, just a gigabit network. I think that was what the original question was, they wanted to know what they could do with the network connection between the two computers?

And there are numerous other hacks and workarounds for all versions of pro tools, at the moment people like Shan are doing some pretty amazing things by rewiring Reaper into Pro Tools.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?