Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2009, 05:28 AM

Default Re: OT: In all seriousness about the future

I'm still holding out hope for a new single card system with the power of HD3 at least. And new chips that will untie the hands of the plugin makers.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alécio Costa View Post
lack of innovation?
What did you drink?
Good. Let's discuss this. What do you think the most innovative developments have been with PT over the last 2 years.

PS - I drink diet coke :)
Old 09-16-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
I'm still holding out hope for a new single card system with the power of HD3 at least. And new chips that will untie the hands of the plugin makers.
This would be great!
Old 09-16-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfelton View Post
I think now's the time for Avid/Digi to take a leaf out of Apples book and concentrate on stability and performance (as in SL) for the next release and leave the innovations and new features for later.
That' it! Every Protools version I had since v.4 was pretty stable. The only one that was not good at all was the first OSX version (PT6). But the later 6.4.1 was very good. Then 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 73, 7.4 all very good.

PT8 is the first release in almost 10 years that is not so stable. I was first running it on a G5 dual 2.0. Then I just upgraded to the new MacPro 8-core. But things didn't get much better. It's working ok, but I do have some crashes from time to time...

If AVID wants to be on top, stability is the MAIN issue. (And I'm not talking about V.I.s!!!)

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 09-16-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
PT8 is the first release in almost 10 years that is not so stable.
OK then....so what changed?

Old 09-16-2009, 11:21 AM

1. As things are going now, yes. If Apple decide to amp it up big time with Logic, no. Just ask the Avid video guys, who were still the standard 5 years ago.

2. Openness. The dropping of crippled proprietary formats for open, widely-distributed, widely-used, stable alternatives that developers actually program for and don't have to jump through hoops to get the SDK for.

Go native. Seriously. This DSP chip thing is getting silly now. It created a complete industry when it first came along, but that was 20 years ago. Implement CUDA support so the massively overpowered GPUs shipping in most good computers get some use.

3. Apple. All other candidates have already fallen back in the marketing race.

4. If it was at the studio, for post work, another PT rig, without a sliver of a doubt. For my music prod projects, I already don't use PT, so...

I personally don't think Pro Tools is in the dire situation some of you clearly think it is. There's been a disappointing release, yes, but the Digi misfire had to come. Other DAW developers have had theirs, too. It's up to the professional to sort out his tools for the job at hand, and PT7 still serves me very well. Some bugs are taking long to tackle, but that's programming. I'm a little more preoccupied by the inner workings of Avid and general strategy, but since the company is clammed up as all hell, it's only a gut feeling.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
OK then....so what changed?
I don't know! I just know that I didn't changed!

I think it's too much new stuff and not enought time to test it! Don't get me wrong, I do like the new stuff, but if I had to choose between new features x stability... I would chosse the 2nd one without a blink!

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 09-16-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfelton View Post
I think now's the time for Avid/Digi to take a leaf out of Apples book and concentrate on stability and performance (as in SL) for the next release and leave the innovations and new features for later.
But they already know the old architecture is the core cause of all their problems. Debugging an obsolete engine is a fool's errand! Apple waited TEN YEARS to fully optimize their new "engine," Mac OS X. They needed to get it working first, and understand everything they needed to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
1 - Stability, Stability, Stability.
2 - Dedicated hardware
Why hasn't IZ RADAR taken over the industry then? Why aren't you using it?

Everyone knows I see no cause for confidence with ^V|>'s recent performance. Apple is certainly ramping up with Logic...they just undercut and overdelivered PT8 two months ago.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.