Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2009, 01:21 PM

Default Re: This is JUST what we NEED! NOT!!! Pro Tools Essential and Structure Essential

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
This doesn't make sense. The High end users don't care what the name is or what the marketing analysis says will make good ad copy. They are more interested in how well PT works for them (yes, I know peppertree, you have plenty to say about that).

Do you care what the name of a product is? Does that influence your purchasing decision making?
The money in this DAW business doesn't come from the top 500 studios in the world. They represent less than $5M in sales per annum for a company like Avid.

The money comes from the wannabe studios and audio janitors that are trying to sell their services to the wannabe artists and wedding bands. They represent tens of millions in revenue per annum. What they need to distinguish themselves from the guy down the street is some seal of authenticity..."I have a Pro Tools Recording Studio." Because it's a business built on vanity and appearance and a false sense of exclusivity.

With this move I think we can declare that "Pro Tools Recording Studio" has none of that left. And therefore the Avid sales pitch has been emasculated. They will need to start over, trying to get those top 500 studios to throw out their HD rigs (that everyone says are so adequate ) and then have that new brand recognition trickle down not just to the wannabe studios but the wannabe artists who are wasting money in them.

That is a process that can take five years or more, that Avid simply can't afford to spend.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:27 PM

Default Re: This is JUST what we NEED! NOT!!! Pro Tools Essential and Structure Essential

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post

Do you care what the name of a product is? Does that influence your purchasing decision making?
Well, yes. Not a day goes by that we don't get at least one or two calls that say "Do you have Pro Tools". If that was not the case, we have very little reason not to be on the Reaper bandwagon. Having "PT goofy" is not going to help us appear impressive. I have been hoping to see the flagship name go Hi End Native, not low end silly.

If they need a new name why not have Start Tools or revive Sound Tools for this thing.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 09-16-2009, 02:15 PM

Thumbs up Re: This is JUST what we NEED! NOT!!! Pro Tools Essential and Structure Essential

Could someone be so kind as to share, or point me to, any details regarding the "over 5.5GB of instuments and loops" referenced here? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 09-16-2009, 02:33 PM

Classic!

Welcome elnehi, but this is not the thread for that. Start one on the subject of your choice in the proper section of this forum.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 09-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
In regards to keeping Session alive, probably. Don't worry, we'll still give you hand on the DUC with your tech support overload when this gets out the door. (Just razzin' ya mate.)

Shane
Razz away - I'm used to it! I know I'm an easy target, I just hope people can take as much as they can dish...!

And thanks for the support - seriously. You're an amazing resource on the DUC and have been extremely helpful to countless people. No small task.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:05 PM

What's the problem?

This is simply just another way for Avid to generate some cash flow to feed those fat exec salaries

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 09-16-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nod25 View Post
What's the problem?

This is simply just another way for Avid to generate some cash flow to feed those fat exec salaries
Or another way for some of the axe grinders to rant about the woes of Digi and Pro Tools and another way for insecure to be shaken.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:13 PM

The name recognition counts, at least to me. I recently had my project mixed by someone on esession and I specifically looked for an engineer with a PT rig. Same thing when I have had comp work or editing done locally. I actively look for studios with good track records who also happen to have PT. I enjoy the convenience of just uploading the whole session or burning it to a DVD or just taking the drive with me instead of having to consolidate and export each wave file to a folder for the song and then upload each of the song folders. It is one less step in a process that is already pretty time consuming and tedious to me.

I did hire a drummer and a utility player who each used other DAWS, so I exported stems to them to work with. It's doable and it's not that hard, but like I said, it's just easier if everyone involved in the project is running the same DAW and for me that is Pro Tools.

So, as long as PT is the DAW in the majority of studios, I will stay with PT and look for those studios.

I don' t worry about the PT Essential version impact on the HD clients. In theory, low end PT LE Project Studios could start getting mix jobs from really young musicians. You all may actually get more work out of this. It may not be pretty or easy to fix, but it will be work.

What's in a name - I didn't let the fact that Sony makes some really cheap consumer products stop me from buying a pair of their better headphones or flash recorder. I bought based on experience with past high end products that were quality products. Their stuff lasts and works well.

Same thing for Avid/Digidesign/M-Audio. I moved over from Cakewalk because Cakewalk does not let you transfer ownership among other things. Digi lets me transfer ownership, provides an upgrade ladder if I want to trade my equipment instead of selling it outright and really, I have had good customer support from them. I know my Digi-002 Rack may develop the harness issue, but they are taking care of the folks that have that problem. My Mbox 1 is a great little unit. The AMIII and Digi001 were rock solid. The only unit I ever had to let go was the Mbox Mini and it was more my unwillingness to work through the troubleshooting thread than anything else.

Off the soapbox; I am going to go install PT Essential and see what's under the hood.

bilco
Old 09-16-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
The money in this DAW business doesn't come from the top 500 studios in the world. They represent less than $5M in sales per annum for a company like Avid.
Seeing as how I know Warner Bros spent over $10M in protools gear in ONE order just 2 or 3 years ago... I would say, again, you are way off base and just pulling numbers out of your arse.

Just looking at post production alone... places like Warner Bros and Todd AO have 20 and 22 "stages" (studios) respectively, on top of dozens of edit bays. The massive protools systems needed to mix movies usually cost anywhere from $350,000 to $750,000 per stage. You can do the math, but you can obviously see it comes out to WAAAAYYY more than $5mil for ONE studio... now multiply that by your "500 top studios in the world" and you've got BILLIONS of dollars in the PTHD market.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page