Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2015, 05:28 PM

Default out of phase question

Hi all. i see there is a topic about this but the links arent working etc.
Basically i hired a very good drummer to play some drums for an album im doing which he tracked in his studio. we started 3 months ago and the guy didnt wanna send files as they were done (to my dismay!). then last week he dumped 150 drum files on me. for starters theyre unlabelled and he lost some of the best songs drums and has to re do them.
ANYWAY.

Im having phasing issues when i throw the recently recieved drum files into my mixes. for eg, ive been tracking to the exact same drums for a few months(an mp3 version as a waveform in PT 8.0.5) but when i try to throw in the Wav file of the drums just received of either a mix down of the 12 drum tracks ive done, or just the wav/mix of all 12 he sent me recently i cannot for the life of my sync this up. these drums are exactly the same drums he tracked months ago, that ive been recording to.
It will be right for 30 seconds or so, and then the new Wav will slowly fall behind.

Im kinda at a loss. I guess i could go through every song and slide it in time every 20 seconds, but that might be a band aid.? any ideas????

Based on how unorganised this guy is. im thinking it could be his system, but i really dont know.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:44 PM

Default Re: out of phase question

Ask for the protools sessions with audio files. Each song on its own folder. He is just sending you the individual wave files?

Or his wave files are at 48k and your sessions are at 44.1 sample rate. Or the other way around.

Either way ask for the protools sessions folder of each song.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:20 PM

so if he recorded his drums at 44.1 and some of my sessions are 48khz, cause this cause this????
he used logic and i got normal wav files off him.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sectorsteve View Post
so if he recorded his drums at 44.1 and some of my sessions are 48khz, cause this cause this????
The difference between 44.1 and 48 sr would be changing the tempo, not just causing phase problems.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Yes. Different sample rates will start as a phasing sound and then move into falling behind in tempo. I'm assuming his drums files are phasing against the ruff mix of the same drum files when played together. But regardless diff sample rates will lag in tempo on the different files.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
It will be right for 30 seconds or so, and then the new Wav will slowly fall behind.
I don't have a full scope of the file format he sent you, the way he recorded and processed this stuff, or what your session looks like. But... A different sample rate isn't likely to be in time for half a minute and then drift, provided you're using conventional sample rates like 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz (as opposed to something odd like a 44.009 kHz in a 44.1 kHz session). A sample rate mismatch will not only be obviously pitched, but also will be immediately and significantly out of time.

See how these files behave when you load them into a new session. I have a feeling either you or he had either set a track to tick-based to follow the conductor or tempo-mapped the reference track before recording.

You should really try to have him send you the PT session and all associated files.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:11 PM

I think the bloke is a joke. You paid him, he should have delivered what and when you wanted.

mp3s suck, I've had more problems with temp scores delivered via mp3 that just mucked everything up. a temp wave file is nothing to send these days

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-06-2015, 04:00 AM

yeah craig tell me about it. im ****ing gutted. ive done all this hard work only for this drummer who i paid a few thousand dollars who was too lazy and tight(he said he didnt wanna email files using a transfer system) cause it would cost him...anyway. aside from braking his legs, can i, you think find my original files and transfer them into a new session at 44.1 with the wav drums that i might be ok?
i tracked my instruments to tape, then dumped them to pt. i synced the mp3 drums that the useless ****er supplied me with to my guitars etc that were tracked on tape.
im guessing that i could start new sessions at 44.1 and find my original analog files and re sync them
i am spewing. i had my mixes - a whole album ready. but now im pulling it all apart.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:35 AM

Quote:
yeah craig tell me about it. im ****ing gutted. ive done all this hard work only for this drummer who i paid a few thousand dollars who was too lazy and tight(he said he didnt wanna email files using a transfer system) cause it would cost him...anyway. aside from braking his legs, can i, you think find my original files and transfer them into a new session at 44.1 with the wav drums that i might be ok?
i tracked my instruments to tape, then dumped them to pt. i synced the mp3 drums that the useless ****er supplied me with to my guitars etc that were tracked on tape.
im guessing that i could start new sessions at 44.1 and find my original analog files and re sync them
i am spewing. i had my mixes - a whole album ready. but now im pulling it all apart.
Wait.... was the analog to PT transfer done via synch? ie Lynx machines on 2" to PT sync io via smpte? As in locked to time code. Blackburst to both lynx and sync io. ???
Does the analog and protools recordings have a click track? A tempo track? Tempo referenced to timecode? Or did you track free rolling to an mp3 drums stem without a time and tempo base?

This could be a sync issue. Not a sample rate issue.

You need to outline the exact recording process here. With the addition of analog tape the potential fault is magnified.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:52 AM

yes i failed to mention the analog aspect. sorry peoples.

procedure went as follows. :

drummer tracked drums to my songs(of which i sent to him with click track) in his studio and sent me mp3 version of it, which i would dump into tape. then id track to that drum beat.

after song was complete(minus the real drum files), id dump the tracks from the tape machine into PT and mix them. id dump the drums into pt also, but not from the tape .id dump the drums into pt from my pc desktop.

are you saying that i need to have the tempo rate set in pt?

i was hoping i guess to use minimal pt. i only really wanted to do a light mix/ edit in pt to the drums that were tracked in DAW.
I also considered dumping from tape into pt similar to playing an instrument into my interface.