Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2015, 04:56 AM

Default compatibility ??

Doing a project atm in PT 8.0.5 on a 2007 imac. im using a glyph ext hardrive, running os10.8

The project im doing has hit some hurdles near the end stages of tracking/mixing. See the threads regarding the out of sync mp3 drums.

I havent used pt for a fair while, preferring the tape machine, but this time im using pt and there may be some things i overlooked with compatibility.

i installed a new ssd in the imac about a year ago, and i wonder if its not compatible. i remember when i first got into pt in 06, having the wrong computer for pt, the wrong ext hd etc . i remember that pt was very finicky with hardware in the computer and ext hd.

Im getting quite alot of crashes, and different error messages. 1 error message says that the ext had cant transfer the data quick enough. keep in mind im only using 1 plug in and thats altiverb.

the same 2 files(1 mp3 drum and 1 wav drum, same performance) that arent in sync in a new 44.1 session are in sync when i delivered these files to a friend. not sure which DAW he uses. Anyway, i guess i need to figure out the next step and where im at.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:52 AM

Default Re: compatibility ??

how is the SSD being utilized? (OS/system, samples, PT work drive)
how full is it?
how is the ext.hd connected and how full is it?

using Pro Tools with tape really requires an TDM system w/ a Sync interface (I/O or HD) and a synchronizer (Lynx Timeline being my choice) controlling the tape machine all driven by a BlackBurst generator for proper sync

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-09-2015, 03:25 PM

Hi Craig.
The ssd is the main hd in imac used to run all you mentioned.
The ext drive is connected to 002 by fw400 then fw400 from 002 to imac.
This could be the reason transfers slow. Ive used the tape with pt before and no problems.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:58 PM

Pro Tools working drives that are more than 50% full can start to get bogged down sorting through all the data stored on them resulting in data quick enough messages

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-09-2015, 04:46 PM

thanks craig. my external drive is over half full so im transferring all the unused stuff now.
in regards to my cables ive got the Ext HD direct into the imac with fw800
and the 002 fw400 direct into the imac.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:01 PM

Start at the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link up the top of this page.

It is unlikely that a drive just being 50% or so full causes problems. Maybe if the drive was ever filled almost totally and badly fragmented, but modern file systems are very good at file block and cylinder clustering and other tricks to get great performance and avoid fragmentation issues. And if a HDD has a performance problem say by having lots of file fragmentation or files read across different cylinder clusters then just moving other files off that drive will make *no* difference to the performance, the original problem with the data files you are using would still be there, so doing that is likely a waste of time (and just risks you messing up something).

There is so much basic info missing here nobody here can really provide useful information.

Does this problem happen for other session? If not then suspect a corrupt session and try importing that raw audio into another new empty session (totally empty/new not a copy of a session not from template).

What is the exact make/model/spec of the iMac, # CPUs, memory, etc. exact model of each disk drive.
What are all the playback engine settings?
Is the computer *fully* optimized? Every last thing done? Spotlight indexing turned off on *every* disk drive?
All the disk drives verify OK?
What changed? besides adding a new internal SSD? You got automatic OS X updates on?
What is the session sample rate?

What standard troubleshooting steps have you done? Trash prefs and databases? Remove all third party plugins from the RTAS folder? (yes even if you are not using them they can still cause problems).

And finally what are all these *exact* error messages, they might mean nothing to you, but if you want help here you kinda have to clue folks into what is going on...

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-09-2015 at 06:06 PM.