Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2000, 07:20 PM

Default CD Burner for G3 w/ Ultra2 LVD SCSI

Looking to add an external CD burner. How best to do this? My Mac has Ultra2 LVD SCSI... can I connect (with adapter) a "regular" SCSI burner to this? Or do I need a separate SCSI card for the burner? What about Firewire? USB?

Anyone else working with this setup with a CD burner? Any recommendations for particular burner?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2000, 08:03 AM

Default Re: CD Burner for G3 w/ Ultra2 LVD SCSI

Hey Kayakers...I have a G3 Blue and white 450 with that Ultra2LVD card in it. I'm running a Plextor 8/20 at the end of the SCSI chain(with a high-byte terminator 50pin mini to 68pin Wide), connected to an external Cheetah(for audiofiles), along with the internal scsi(Start-up) IBM Hard drive. It all works unbelievably great. The terminator/adapter you need is the one described here, which isn't cheap(around $50.00), but is definitley needed, even if you attach the CDR right to the card's external connector. Users sometimes use cable adapters, (like a 50-68pin), but the wide scsi buss is not terminated, causing performance issues. So far everything is quite well, and I would definitely go with a SCSI burner, right now, since it's the most reliable, and the other 2 formats(USB and FireWire) are still in their infancy. Besides You will find that the software you will most likely be using(Toast,Jam, MasterlistCD etc.) really has little or no support for either of the new formats(tried them all, just for the record...went right back to SCSI). To tell you the truth, I think SCSI is not going away as far as speed and compatablity is concerned. right now, the newest baby, UltraSCSI-3, promises speed up to 160 MB per second per card channel, much faster then the highly touted FireWire!
Old 02-17-2000, 01:07 PM

Default Re: CD Burner for G3 w/ Ultra2 LVD SCSI

Sony just came out with a 4x CD-RW burner -- I think i might go with that. I have an Adaptec 2940U2, so I have both ultra-wide2 and a "regular" SCSI connection, but since the G4 comes with fire wire, I am inclined to use it -- anybody have one of these new fire wire CD-RW burners?