Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2008, 10:53 PM

Default Whoever invented MIDI didn\'t see this coming

Hey all,
As if the world isn't complicated enough I'm trying to setup a Roalnd E-36 Synth (Made in 1991 I believe, the first to come out with 16 MIDI channels I'm told) to My Digi 002R through the MIDI ports. I'm running that into PT LE 6.2. Roland >MIDI OUT >Digi 002R MIDI IN > Firewire 800 > Powerbook G4. I've enabled MIDI devices in PT and those seem ok, the test setup function doesn't work though. the problem is I cant get PT to meter any MIDI data. If I reverse the order. (Draw midi data in PT set output to the keyboard) and playback I can get sound out of the keyboard so i know they can talk in that direction. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'm a poor college student who just wants to use MIDI in PT or with 002R stand alone using some other virtual instrument program but nothing I've tried including scouring the DUC is giving me info to make this all happen. thanks!
Old 06-12-2008, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Whoever invented MIDI didn\'t see this coming

I suspect a setting on your keyboard. You will probably have to turn off "local mode" or whatever Roland called it when they made the synth.

Local mode means that the MIDI generated by the keys gets sent to the built-in, ie local, synth. It could be that local mode disables the MIDI out... Although you did say you could drive the synth with external MIDI, which would also require local mode to be off. I don't know for sure with your synth..

Here is a place where you can download the manual:

e-36

Unfortunately it is the worst product manual I have ever seen so I just can't bring myself to try to figure it out.. I'll leave the manual pain up to you.. Sorry

If its not a local mode thing then look for any info about the MIDI OUT and how you could, for instance, use it with an external sequencer to record MIDI. That's really what you are trying to do anyway..
Old 06-13-2008, 01:14 AM

I'm guessing the dreaded MIDI Thru is not checked in PT. Gets me every time.
Mac M2 13" Air in the field
Old 06-13-2008, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the help,
I've exhausted PT for common midi errors,(midi thru included) and I don't think its a software dilemma, its got to involve the keyboard somehow. For instance the LED on my 002R is blinking extremely rapidly which must mean I'm sending data however nothing is picked in PT, or over stand alone apps. So frustrating, later today I'm going to try to connect an old whammy pedal MIDI into the 002R to make sure 002R MIDI I is functioning properly.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Avid

Is it possible you do not have the MIDI track record enabled? Is the MIDI Input tab on the track set to 'All'?
Old 06-13-2008, 08:19 PM

Yea Track is record enabled, and Input is set to All, ive also tried Input directly to a specific chanel out but no luck. Im giong to try updating pro tools to LE 6.4 to see if the 002R had any glaring MIDI software issues maybe it did IDK. Also do i have to connect a MIDI cable from the 002R MIDI out into the keyboard MIDI In to have it work? I figured i should get some respone with only 1 chord going from keyoboard MDI Out to 002R MIDI In but maybe it needs a loop? Also couldnt locate any more midi devices to check if the 002R was the problem.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:57 PM

No, you don't need a MIDI cable going from the 002 out back to the Roland in to do what you are trying.

In your first post you mentioned " the test setup function doesn't work though." You're talking about Audio MIDI setup, right?

Since the light is blinking on the 002, you should be getting a reaction when you have "Test Setup" selected.
Does it blink rapidly even if you are not playing notes? On my controller, the mod wheel sometimes drifts a little and puts out MIDI continuously even if I'm not touching the keyboard.

I think it should typically only light up for note on and note off events.. ie twice per keystroke

Did you look into the local mode setting I mentioned?
Old 06-13-2008, 11:06 PM

Ive tried everything (Local Mode didnt effect the problem) and looked through the entire roland manual which was informative but alas not helpful. The test setup through Audio MIDI setup still doesnt work. (Although I've never used it so i dont know what would happen if it did work, some noise?) After many hours researching ive found a few posts on the DUC that talk about some complications between OSX 10.3.9 002/001/002 Rack PT 6.4 rig with Quiktime 7 and iTunes 7, not sure fi there is an easy way to revert to earlier versions of those programs but thats next on my list of things to try.

As for the mod wheel, there is no mod wheel on the keyboard, but i do notice that if i play quickly on the keyboard the green LED seems to respond to it, although it keeps up this rapid blinking phase normally, I agree when I play sound out to the keyboard the interface is as you describes, a light up per stroke.

Oh and I dont know if i mentioned this but i updated to PT LE 6.4 Core Audio 6.9 MIDI still doesnt work with stand-alone Native instrument apps suchas B4 II and Absynth. Although my analog inputs do work for programs like Guitar Rig. It seems to be a localized problem with the 002 Rack talking to the MIDI interface within my computer.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:36 PM

If things are working properly in Audio MIDI Setup, with Test Setup selected, the mac will play a plink sound and the port that the keyboard is connected to will light up when you play a note on the keyboard.

This also works for synths... If you connect the 002 out to the Roland in and click on the 002 out port ( or on the synth ) in Audio MIDI Setup, the synth should play some random notes. Its handy for making sure all your connections are working and connected the way you think they are. My setup is pretty simple with 2 controllers, a Phatboy, and a rack synth, the 002 and a MIDI hub, but I can imagine it really comes in to play when you have lots of synths, multiple hubs etc..
Old 06-14-2008, 02:56 AM

Check you don't have any arpeggiator/ arranger type functions enabled. These would create data like green blinking but might inhibit playing out from the keyboard. Also have you tried swapping midi cables to make sure you don't have a dodgy midi out lead from the keyboard?