Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-07-2020, 12:20 PM

Default 2020 Mac Mini or wait for ARM?

Hey everyone! Looking for advice.

I'm thinking of buying a Mac Mini with an eGPU to use as my main workstation (upgrading from a 2013 iMac). I'm wondering whether I buy one now, or wait a year for Apple's processors to be integrated, *knowing that there will be a few years of software transition on top of that.

Any advice you might have is appreciated!
Old 11-07-2020, 04:26 PM

Default Re: 2020 Mac Mini or wait for ARM?

Apple is expected to announce their first Arm based systems this coming week (Tuesday 9th). I'd wait and see what the said there and and the reaction to that.

Avid has an event on the 12th. I'd hope that Avid takes that opportunity to talk about their Mac Arm roadmap, I'll be very impressed if Avid does, they are unfortunately not great about communicating with customers.

But the idea here of others having much useful advice for you is pretty unlikely. There is a lot of unknowns but the biggest unknowns are all about you. What your needs are, budget, etc. If I was running a business and a current computer was affecting my ability to work I'd have little worry about buying a high-end Intel Mac now, otherwise I might be more inclined to wait. And either way I'd be waiting to see what is announced in the next few weeks--there has been some speculation it might be more than just a Macbook air type computer and might even include a Mac mini type system.

You mention eGPU, you don't necesarilly need an eGPU to run Pro Tools on a Mac Mini. Do you have multiple monitors to run etc? Deciding to buy an eGPU may just be sinking unneeded cost here into that system that may have less useful lifespan due to the arm transition. My starting point with most Macs to max out the internal SSD storage a much as you can and of possible to fit samples, sessions etc. on that drive then run them there. Unfortunately you pay the Apple tax on storage.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentWilliams View Post
Hey everyone! Looking for advice.

I'm thinking of buying a Mac Mini with an eGPU to use as my main workstation (upgrading from a 2013 iMac). I'm wondering whether I buy one now, or wait a year for Apple's processors to be integrated, *knowing that there will be a few years of software transition on top of that.

Any advice you might have is appreciated!
If you NEED a new computer then I'd say to grab the current Mini. From the emails I've been getting s/w developers are saying to stay away from Big Sur which is what will more likely than not be on the ARM Macs. For instance Bombich is having issues having Carbon Copy Cloner make bootable backups in BS (Big Sur). You don't want to fly without having a bootable clone of your system.

QAPLA!
Old 11-08-2020, 06:45 AM

I am also in the same boat wanting to move forward at some point from my souped up 2009 12 core cheese grater. It is still rocking hard at the moment but im starting to feel the pull to move to to a machine that has thunderbolt ports and is capable of running Catalina or later.

I too have been looking seriously at the Mac mini and every time I think I’m going to pull the trigger on buying one, (in my case with an expansion chassis for my HDX card), I read about somebody who uses the mini for regular pro work who has managed to cook it up in a year or so because apparently those suckers run hot under load.

I do think it would be a mistake to jump on these new arm processor machines soon, for all of the reasons we all know: it’s going to take quite some time for software manufacturers to catch up. So I think it would be wise to consider an Intel machine that will most likely serve us well for many years. In addition, both Apple and Avid have major announcements next week and it will be interesting to see what direction is indicated by these 2 companies.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 11-08-2020, 07:18 AM

When I got my 2018 mac mini this summer, on thing became immediately obvious; big bluetooth performance problems.

I looked around and found lots of discussions about this, and now, months later, after trying everything I can think of, I have no solution. I agree with folk out there who thinks it's simply a design flaw; cramming in all those TB3 and USB3 port around the bluetooth antenna is causing interference. It's obvious that as you plug in more storage devices, the bluetooth deteriorates. Some people also have problems with wifi.

25 page thread over at macrumors.com about bluetooth problems on 2018 mac minis (I read most of it):
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ssues.2157086/

My thread over there, with details on my bluetooth problems:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...#post-28940811

Of course, if you don't need bluetooth and can do without wifi - it's a good mac.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
When I got my 2018 mac mini this summer, on thing became immediately obvious; big bluetooth performance problems.

I looked around and found lots of discussions about this, and now, months later, after trying everything I can think of, I have no solution. I agree with folk out there who thinks it's simply a design flaw; cramming in all those TB3 and USB3 port around the bluetooth antenna is causing interference. It's obvious that as you plug in more storage devices, the bluetooth deteriorates. Some people also have problems with wifi.

25 page thread over at macrumors.com about bluetooth problems on 2018 mac minis (I read most of it):
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ssues.2157086/

My thread over there, with details on my bluetooth problems:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...#post-28940811

Of course, if you don't need bluetooth and can do without wifi - it's a good mac.
I sold off my 2018 Mini to a friend a few months ago and ended up buying another another one with a larger hard drive. Interestingly, the unit I sold him had zero wifi or bluetooth issues at my location using my wireless keyboard, trackpad, hub, drives ... but he was running into all kinds of bluetooth dropouts. My suspicion is it comes down to the peripherals one is using.

Last edited by boomspot; 11-08-2020 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Formatting
Old 11-08-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomspot View Post
I sold off my 2018 Mini to a friend a few months ago and ended up buying another another one with a larger hard drive. Interestingly, the unit I sold him had zero wifi or bluetooth issues at my location using my wireless keyboard, trackpad, hub, drives ... but he was running into all kinds of bluetooth dropouts. My suspicion is it comes down to the peripherals one is using.
Well, I switched to the mac mini from a 2017 imac. Same devices connected, same bluetooth devices, same room. Imac had no problems, Mac mini simply fails, bluetooth-wise.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robruce View Post
Thanks for the info. It figures that heat is an issue but I just ordered one anyway.

Unless the Mac Mini's exterior bottom plastic plate serves some purpose - it's staying off after RAM installation. Also the machine will be on 1/2 inch blocks, meltdowns hopefully avoided. Rob
Fatal mistake as that bottom cover is part of the airflow design. Leave it on; it will also keep a lot of dust out. Good idea though about raising it up on blocks. Have a 2010 Mini and have it sitting on a block to get airflow around the case. It's a general use machine for the wife and I so it does see a good bit of use.

QAPLA!
Old 11-09-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robruce View Post
Thanks for sharing your opinion and experience, always appreciated.

I understand about airflow design. However this is a miniaturized consumer-grade product, not designed for professional demands. By use of an external fan the bottom cover only impedes heat dissipation in this case.

Keeping dust out is really not an issue and frankly, a cover isn't going to make any difference for small particulates. If there were warrens of large dust bunnies living in the equipment rack it might, but the studio is regularly swept.

Small particulates are like water. Unless you're recording in a clean room or use a hermetically sealed container for your computer - dust will get inside. This used to be more worrisime
when optical drives were more common.
It may sound counterintuitive but that bottom lid really is part of the airflow design. Same thing for why Mac Pro cheesegraters have to have their side panels on. I worked in the engineering lab for a company that made fans/blowers for electronics and rack enclosures so I know a bit more about airflow than I think you do.

Who says the Mini isn't meant for professional demands? There are a number of companies that use them as part of their cash register system.

As to an external fan you'd be better off with it blowing air across the top of the Mini. And leave the bottom lid on. Besides it will also protect the components inside from damage. That's a HUGE hole to leave open without some kind of protection.

QAPLA!
Old 11-09-2020, 11:22 AM

I'm usubscribing. This is boring.