Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2003, 04:54 PM

Default What\'s a Good Drum Sound CD (for SoundReplacer)?

Can anyone recommend a good CD of drum samples, to use with SoundReplacer? I already have Bob Clearmountain's Drums II (great CD), but am looking for something with that kind of cracking snare, that's used on a lot of current hardcore rock.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:48 AM

Default Re: What\'s a Good Drum Sound CD (for SoundReplacer)?

There are some good rock sounds on Burning Grooves.

sm
Old 03-02-2003, 10:47 AM

why can't you make your own samples? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2003, 07:05 PM

what do you do in your spare time? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2003, 08:49 PM

I spend it with my family, or writing my own music.

Doing drum samples is fun, but doing them right is expensive and time consuming. To do it right you need a BIG room for the drums (expensive) a good drummer (ditto) good mics (ditto) good pres, EQs, compressors etc. etc. And lots of time, not just for the recording, but for the preparation and the post editing of putting a library together.

When I'm tracking we usually DO roll our own loops (if the song needs one), usually using a separate set of drums that's whacked out and trashy. But that's different from getting clean separate drum samples with various ambient samples etc. I don't think the artist or A&R guy would sit still while I did that.

But there are guys getting paid to do just that: Spend days in a great room with great people and equipment and doing it right. I'm happy as can be to keep them in business.

If you have time for it, I'm jealous. But don't think too harshly of those of us who reach for a sample CD every now and again to fix a mix. We're all just trying to get it done.

Along those lines, to the original poster, the ACID CD Drum Tools has some great single hits on it, and the BT Breaks From The Nu School has some acoustic loops on it that you can grab snares from. Some pretty whacked out stuff.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 03-02-2003, 10:50 PM

yeah, I dig.
I really don't have that kinda time either...but what I do have time for is getting great sounds and great takes. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2003, 12:24 AM

Sometimes it is not practical or cost effective to record your own samples. And sometimes you are in crunch mode in the mix and realize what you were given is not great and you need to be able to grab something quick.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 03-03-2003, 08:07 AM

Drums from Sounds Online
Old 03-04-2003, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Tholen:
yeah, I dig.
I really don't have that kinda time either...but what I do have time for is getting great sounds and great takes. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'll give you an amen to that.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:06 PM

OT:

I followed the link posted above by Andyo.

The "Joey Kramer Drums Pro Tools" looked pretty interesting. However, when I listened to the mp3 demo, it seemd to me that Kramer's timing is pretty unsteady, and even during steady sections he pushes the dnare too far foward on about half the its.

This demo makes my flesh crawl. Does anyone agree, or have I become absurdly over-picky about groove?

Also, are there any other drum grooves available in this type of multi-track, Protools format ?