Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-27-2013, 03:57 AM

Default Pro Tools-qualified desktops outdated???

Hi. Tried posting this in another section, but thought maybe I would get more replies here. I am looking to get PT 9 or 10 with an Mbox. I also want to make sure I get the right computer. Unfortunately, all of the desktops Avid recommends are discontinued, but they do have newer versions. Anyone know if they are safe? For example, one of the recommended Dells is the Precision T3500, which has been replaced with the T3600.

Here are the spec for the T3600: Thanks!

Processor
Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1607 (Four Core, 3.0GHz, 10M)editOperating System
Windows 7 Professional,SP1, No Media, 64-bit, EnglisheditProductivity Software
Microsoft® Office Trial, MUIeditDigitally Delivered Software
NoneeditDell Precision T3600
Dell Precision T3600, 425WeditPower Supplies
425W Power Supply, 90 Percent EfficiencyediteditMemory
4GB, DDR3 UDIMM Memory, 1600MHz, Non-ECC (2 DIMMs)editGraphics
1.0GB NVIDIA® Quadro® 600, Dual MON, 1 DP & 1 DVIeditGPU Computing
NoneeditMulti Select Video Adapters
NoneeditHard Drive Configuration
C1 SATA 3.5 Inch, 1-2 Hard DriveseditHard Drive RAID
No RAIDeditPERC Controller
Integrated Intel controller, SATA 3Gb/s RAID 0/1/5/10 (4 ports)editBoot Hard Drive
250GB, 7200 RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s Hard Driveedit2nd Hard Drive
500GB, 7200 RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive
Old 05-27-2013, 05:21 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools-qualified desktops outdated???

Hi.

At first glance I would say only 4GB RAM is to low. I would minimum select 8 GB or more comfortably 16GB of ram.
Also the 425W Power Supply seems on the low side.

Other than that is seems ok, but can't say for shure since it's not on the list of officially supported machines.
Maby someone else can chime in to verify ?
Old 05-27-2013, 07:05 AM

The recommendations by Avid for PCs seems to be not up to date, and they cannot test every PC configuration out there in the whole world.
I was looking for a PC for Pro Tools at Dell and HP, too, but I had no guaranty, that they will run Pro Tools. And gave up.
Finally found a designated Audio-PC-Company, that guaranties that Pro Tools does run on their PCs. Because they test it and do all necessary optimizations.
I bet, there will be a company like sweetwater.com in your country.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 05-27-2013, 08:55 AM

With so many possible hardware combinations, its impossible for Avid to keep up. Building your own has always been a great choice and this link:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426
is a great source of parts and instruction. Right now(May 2013), the hot setup is the socket 2011 intel i7, x79 motherboard(Asus and Gigabyte being most popular) and quad-channel RAM(16 or 32GB). For those with a fat wallet, the i7 6 core and a good SSD for system drive gives tone of power, blazing speed(choose the WRONG SSD and that doesn't happen). Keep in mind a few other details: don't skimp on the PSU(650 watts is the low end), Plan on at least 3 internal drives(system, sessions and samples), and have your backup plan in place from day one. That means keep a spare drive handy for nothing but drive images(I have a pair of 2TB USB drives for this). Image your system drive 3 times; 1 with just the OS installed tweaked(with Quicktime and iLok drivers installed), 1 with just Pro Tools installed and tested for good performance, and the 3rd image done with everything installed(all your optional and 3rd party plugins). 6 months down the road, if things are running great, another image is a good idea. With all these saved(and verified) images, you can recover from a crash(it happens, even to new drives), a virus(even if the machine never sees the web, someone can bring in a session on an infected drive) or a bad update(trust me, I've seen all 3 of these).

As for buying a "Pro Tools computer", Sweetwater, RAIN computers and a few others offer a turn-key package and support, but you pay for it(and don't always get to choose the components). Many will offer systems built on socket 1155 i7's or even AMD systems. While those MAY work, I am not a fan of them for PT. Just 1 opinion

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-28-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
The recommendations by Avid for PCs seems to be not up to date, and they cannot test every PC configuration out there in the whole world.
I was looking for a PC for Pro Tools at Dell and HP, too, but I had no guaranty, that they will run Pro Tools. And gave up.
Finally found a designated Audio-PC-Company, that guaranties that Pro Tools does run on their PCs. Because they test it and do all necessary optimizations.
I bet, there will be a company like sweetwater.com in your country.
Thanks, you are probably right. I really don't know enough about computers. I just want it to be done and ready to go when I plug in. I know Rain computers are an option. Can anyone recommend any others (which may be cheaper)? Thanks!