Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2018, 06:45 AM

Default Can I upgrade Mac osx 10.8.5/ running Protools 11

Everything I've read in the past on here states that it is NOT a good idea to upgrade. Has anything changed for the better so I can finally upgrade. Feel like I'm now running a very outdated version of Mac OS but I don't want to encounter issues with Protools 11.3.2

I have just found this information on Avid's site that Protools 11.3.2 is compatible with the following osx versions: Yosemite 10.10, 10.10.1
Mavericks 10.9.5
Mountain Lion 10.8.5

So I guess it's safe to upgrade now?

Thanks.

Lisa

Last edited by soundartsonline; 10-05-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Can I upgrade Mac osx 10.8.5/ running Protools 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundartsonline View Post
Everything I've read in the past on here states that it is NOT a good idea to upgrade. Has anything changed for the better so I can finally upgrade. Feel like I'm now running a very outdated version of Mac OS but I don't want to encounter issues with Protools 11.3.2

I have just found this information on Avid's site that Protools 11.3.2 is compatible with the following osx versions: Yosemite 10.10, 10.10.1
Mavericks 10.9.5
Mountain Lion 10.8.5

So I guess it's safe to upgrade now?

Thanks.

Lisa
Don't know where you saw that. It depends on how you do the OSX upgrade - that's all. In general doing an OSX upgrade the 'Apple Way' aka an in-situ upgrade is not a good thing; doing a 'clean install' is often touted as the way to go where everything is installed from fresh and no using Migration Assassin (aka Migration Assistant) to bring programs over. However there are people that have had success doing it the 'Apple Way' and installing the new OSX right over the top of the old one.

I've done things both ways with varying success but then again I keep on top of my system and know what to do to make things work. Put it this way - it doesn't hurt to be a computer geek. Word to the wise - before you do anything make a clone of your system using a program like Carbon Copy Cloner to make a clone to an external drive.

Now to the process.
If your system drive is big enough create a second partition and put the new OSX there leaving the existing partition alone. I did that on my old iMac and actually had three boot partitions: OSX 10.8.5, OSX 10.9.5 and OSX 10.10.5 and PT11.3.2 OSX 10.8.5 was the original OSX. When I did the OSX 10.9.5 partition I did a clean install of everything. No problems with anything. When I did the OSX 10.10.5 partition I installed OSX clean but used Migration Assistant to bring all my programs and such over. The only issues there was Waves needed an update. Other than that no issues. When that was done I had clones of all three partitions on an external 4TB drive.

Probably your biggest issue is getting the OSX versions you want. You may be able to get dvd's from Amazon - give it a look.

QAPLA!
Old 10-05-2018, 03:50 PM

Hi Jack,

Thanks so much for your phenomenal advice with step by step instructions.

So, what is the reason you recommend keeping the older mac os versions on the partitioned drive? Is that just in case the newer version creates problems with your system?

Regarding what you said here: "Probably your biggest issue is getting the OSX versions you want. You may be able to get dvd's from Amazon -" does this mean that Yosemite 10.10, 10.10.1
and Mavericks 10.9.5 are no longer available on the Apple store?

Don't know that my system has enough room. In that case, I can clone directly onto an external drive, correct? You did mention Carbon Copy Cloner gives you that option, but you "process" suggested other steps. Just checking. Want to make sure I do this thing right the first time!

Thanks again. Looking forward to your next highly informed reply!

Lisa
Old 10-05-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Hi Jack,

Thanks so much for your phenomenal advice with step by step instructions.

So, what is the reason you recommend keeping the older mac os versions on the partitioned drive? Is that just in case the newer version creates problems with your system?

Regarding what you said here: "Probably your biggest issue is getting the OSX versions you want. You may be able to get dvd's from Amazon -" does this mean that Yosemite 10.10, 10.10.1
and Mavericks 10.9.5 are no longer available on the Apple store?

Don't know that my system has enough room. In that case, I can clone directly onto an external drive, correct? You did mention Carbon Copy Cloner gives you that option, but you "process" suggested other steps. Just checking. Want to make sure I do this thing right the first time!

Thanks again. Looking forward to your next highly informed reply!

Lisa
The reason I mention keeping the old/existing OSX install is for the very reason you mention - in case something goes bad or thee new OSX doesn't work for you.

The older versions are no longer directly available on the Apple Store. You may get lucky being able to get the OSX versions needed from Apple but Amazon is a better way although you have to pay for it. Also what Amazon has may well be the last versions of whatever OSX you want which is what you want anyways.

Carbon Copy Cloner is a great program but you have to take the tie to digest what it does keeping in mind what you want to do and what your clone drive is. You can never go wrong with having a clone of your system drive. Just today I had to resort to my clone because an update to Native Instruments Reaktor 5 didn't work as it should. I do my clones on a weekly basis on Friday mornings and luckily I had today's clone done before I applied the Reaktor update. Of all the steps I tried (reinstalling Reaktor, etc.) the only thing that worked was to use the clone to restore my system drive. Took less than 10 minutes.

QAPLA!
Old 10-10-2018, 06:18 PM

Thanks Jack for explaining that. Very very helpful!!!

I did have another question. When I use the Carbon Copy Cloner, am I to assume that in selecting all files, that also means it will take the osx version that's on the machine. Planning to backup to external hard drive.

Thanks!

Lisa
Old 10-11-2018, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks Jack for explaining that. Very very helpful!!!

I did have another question. When I use the Carbon Copy Cloner, am I to assume that in selecting all files, that also means it will take the osx version that's on the machine. Planning to backup to external hard drive.

Thanks!

Lisa
Yes it will take everything on your machine if you select the top check box in the 'copy from' side. For the first clone you do it's the safest as that will give you a way to get back to a working system when/if things go sideways. Outside of having ZDT coverage on your iLok it's the cheapest insurance you have against disasters.

QAPLA!
Old 10-12-2018, 07:16 PM

Jack,

Thank you again for your help. If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have known where/how to get Yosemite. Wow, Apple is unforgiving!! That version: no longer available in the Apple store.

Sure enough, like you said, Amazon has it on a disc. Ordered it.

I'm suspecting that Apple expects you just to buy a new computer if you haven't upgraded in their "limited upgrade availablity time frame". They don't give you ANY options. I have to wonder if some people who haven't upgraded in time end up buying a new computer because of it, what do you think?

I couldn't upgrade because of incompatibility issues with Protools 11 and OSX upgrades and with so many issues I had been dealing with stability ( I was to find out the culprit was MacKeeper: who knew?), I was not eager to jeopardize the stability of my machine. Even after finding out that MacKeeper was causing all the problems with Protools, once gotten rid of, I just stuck with Mountain Lion, which brings me to today. But now I feel like I'm in the stone age with Mountain Lion. Good old stable Mountain Lion.

But I get it. I do. One must upgrade to stay current (and protected).

So, as soon as the disc gets here, I'll be upgrading to Yosemite. Hopefully you've seen no issues with that? Please let me know what i need to look out for, if you've got any tips.

Thanks again a million times!

Lisa
Old 10-13-2018, 04:47 AM

The only issue to be had with Yosemite is the PT uninstaller doesn't work but there are manual steps for that somewheres on the Avid site. Then again does one really need an uninstaller unless you want to clean things out and start with a fresh install of PT? The only time I used an uninstaller was back in PT10 days.

QAPLA!