Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 05-07-2018, 07:01 PM

Default Using Logic w/ Avid IO and A/D expansion?

Logic is able to access the first 8 inputs and outputs of my Avid HD I/O but it doesn't seem to access the other 8 inputs I have via the A/D expansion card.

Before getting into configuration issues:

-CAN- Logic access those expanded channels beyond the standard 8?
Old 05-07-2018, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Using Logic w/ Avid IO and A/D expansion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
the other 8 inputs I have via the A/D expansion card.
What do you mean by this? The other cards within the first AVID IO or do you mean from the expansion port on the AVID IO connected to a second interface?

What do you see available from Audio MIDI Setup for the Avid option (not aggregate) as your input/output count?

You can access more than 8 but you have to do it in a specific way.

Last edited by BScout; 05-07-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:48 PM

Default Using Logic w/ Avid IO and A/D expansion?

Quote:
Logic is able to access the first 8 inputs and outputs of my Avid HD I/O but it doesn't seem to access the other 8 inputs I have via the A/D expansion card.

You are posting in the HDX section, can you state what actual Pro Tools setup you have...

The easy way to be limited to 8 IO is with CoreAudio on an old TDM based system... modern HDN and HDX systems CoreAudio support more than that (32 IIRC).

If HDN or HDX what does Pro Tools Ultimate/HD show for the settings? What does CoreAudio show? If neither show the expansion card then run Digitest. Screen shots might be the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2018, 03:43 AM

Quote:

What versions of everything? Way back, Avid's core audio driver only allowed access to 8 channels of I/O but it's been 32 for years.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:03 AM

HD Native -- PT 2018.4 -- OS 10.13.4.

When sending audio out of the expansion card (any of the channels 9-16) using Logic, the meters on the Avid I|O show activity, yet nothing arrives at the external hardware. Switching to PT, using the same routing, audio is sent out as expected.

The same is true on the input side, with no actual audio leaving from or arriving to Logic, though the meters appear to tell a different story.

I realize that this suggests a configuration issue within Logic, but the exact same configuration is being used for a hardware reverb and it works fine, the difference is that it's wired to two of the first 8 inputs of the Avid I|O.

Regarding the number of inputs shown in Logic's I/O setup, it shows 16.

For these reasons, I'm hopeful that it CAN use channels beyond the first 8. I'm just not experiencing any actual results, contrary to all the good signs.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:19 AM

Yes this should work. I would debug more, but I have no good ideas here. If the output meters on the HD IO are moving and then I would tend to believe them and start by testing those outputs. In Logic with a completely new session and just a signal gen and one mono audio track going to one output at a time (to confirm IO numbering is correct) and checking it with a multimeter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2018, 10:10 AM

I'll keep at it because I have several devices on channels 9-16, but I'm stumped, too, and not wanting to lose more hair investigating an issue which might ultimately not be possible, hence the only real question: is it even possible?

I suppose it's an Apple question, but certainly there are others here who use this same scenario and have the answer. Exactly -how- to get it working is on me.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:09 PM

Are you sure you don't have the second set of 8 allocated to a different output from within the coreaudio Avid hardware manager (for instance to the on-board digital 8 from ADAT)?

That would explain what you are witnessing: working with Pro Tools (when Pro Tools is open, it uses its own routing/mapping), meters showing input/output (because they are -- just to the wrong output).

Last edited by BScout; 05-08-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I'll keep at it because I have several devices on channels 9-16, but I'm stumped, too, and not wanting to lose more hair investigating an issue which might ultimately not be possible, hence the only real question: is it even possible?

I suppose it's an Apple question, but certainly there are others here who use this same scenario and have the answer. Exactly -how- to get it working is on me.
To answer your question, yes it is possible.
I'm not on High Sierra though, I am on Sierra.

How many inputs do you show as available under HD Native in Audio Midi setup?

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection

Last edited by 29CountsNY; 05-08-2018 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 05-08-2018, 06:20 PM

I did check those things previously.

I see 16 inputs for the HD Native in AudioMIDISetup. So that's good.

Under Core Audio Manager, it won't allow me to access the HW Setup (that box is greyed-out) and under Status it reads "Not Connected (HW In Use).

Nothing should be using CoreAudio. Every audio app is closed and even system sounds are set to internal speaker for output and mic for input.

I would guess that by default Logic would leave inputs 9-16 as analog, not digital, though I can't seem to confirm this as Logic doesn't have the Hardware Setup which we're all accustomed to, and Core Audio Manager won't let me in.