Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-23-2003, 06:45 PM

Default Air travel with a G4 Mac tower

Hi guys - I've done a lot of air travel with sound gear - enough to know that everything not indestructible will get mashed if it goes through baggage handling - and that "special handling" is just an invitation for the gorillas to try harder.

I'm thinking of putting rack ears on my G4 and putting it and the 001 into a standard SKB 6 space case. If I pull out the superdrive and hard drives and carry them in my hand luggage, do you think there is anything else in the G4 that falls under the description of "super fragile"? I would obviously check the boards and connections for looseness after the flight, but if anyone has opinions, please share them. Also, I can't just carry it on, I have my quota of hand luggage filled by mics and other super fragile gear.

thanks for your thoughts
Old 05-23-2003, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Air travel with a G4 Mac tower

I just designed a MASSIVE ProTools system (HD) for a client of mine that needs to look good in the studio, but also go out on tour with them for recording. I strongly suggest NOT to go SKB if your system is this important to you. I designed a case that basically was a 20-space rackmount that sat within it's own case. There is 2" of heavy duty padding all around as well as a shock-absorbing rackmount itself. It wasn't cheap, about $1,400.... but is your system that important to you? Computers are very fragile things, cards shake lose, hard-drives shake, etc. If you are going to do it, do it right 100%... or don't do it at all.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:53 PM

I've seen heatsinks come off of processors before when moving computers. You might want to intentionally take it off ahead of time so that it is not rattling around in the case possibly ruining your motherboard with nicks and scratches. You might want to pull the RAM as well.

G4 1.25DP/FW800/1.25GB/OS X 10.3.5/Digi 001/LE 6.4
Old 05-24-2003, 06:05 AM

Hi,
I have taken my G4 QS 867 to Brazil several times. I have the rack kit from marathoncomputer.com which was expensive but well designed and made. I have the Mac in its own 6u SKB and have suffered no ill effects from shipping the unit as baggage. I am fairly sure you won't get the Digi 001 as well as a G4 tower in a 6u but I use the space that is left to fill with the keyboard, cables and the like which I wrap in bubble wrap. I always leave the internal drives in place (two hard drives) and have and additional backup of the sessions on an external firewire that I carry in hand luggage in case the Mac gets lost. I personally don't take a monitor as I borrow one at the destination but you may want to investigate a flat panel LCD and rack mounting if you are. If you are going to get a heavy duty flight case then expect some heavy duty 'excess baggage' charges if you go over your quota (64Kg is normal in two 32Kb bags for long hall in the UK). Check out the local voltage and get some adapters to plug you kit in and transformers if any kit requires one. Make sure you have travel insurance for yourself and I would advise seperate equipment insurance too. Take all the system and software CDs in case you need to re-install or rebuilt the system. I have a Mac OS on two hard disks just in case. Finally, be prepared for customs rules and regulations at both ends and carry any appropriate documentation such as equipment receipts and work visas if required.

Regards,
Stephen Bond

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 05-24-2003, 11:26 AM

I'm definitely no charles atlas, and I can easily put my foot through any SKB case.

Get a real shock mount case of at least 5/8" plywood laminate, steel reinforced edging and corners, major locking latches and a detachable wheelboard (that stores inside the case). It'll be big and heavy and expensive, but your gear may be safe, whereas in the SKB it'll just be broken.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:41 PM

thank all you guys for your great suggestions and Stephen, its good to hear the opinion of someone who's done it a few times.
Old 05-24-2003, 11:27 PM

I've got the Marathon Rack. The expensive black box, not the cheap replacement handle ears. I had to create some rear rack rail mounts so it would be supported with both the front and rear rack rails in the SKB rack. See pictures of my old G3 system at http://www.barnabas.com/sound/PT/
I even modified the front rack handles to get the Marathon rack to sit farther forward so the cables could stay attached in the rear with the cover on.

This rack travels only in my van and will never go on an airplane.

For airplane travel, I would suggest keeping the original G4 box and packing it in a foam lined travel case.

The SKB rack cases are compact and light weight, but the rack rails are aluminum, which bend under stress much easier than steel. This is why you have to mount it to the front and rear rack rails as a minimum. For airplane travel, I would add a steel rail to the aluminum rail for added strength.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:18 AM

I would suggest a large pelican case. custom cut the foam for a tight fit.

If you need a portable working rig, then I would suggest a cutom made shock mounted road case.
the bad side of a road case is it's size and weight.
A friend has one, You need elevators where ever you plan on taking it. And it is oversized and must be shipped air frieght. in many cases it's not on the same flight as you are. A drag.

With a pelican, you can check it as luggage.

Good idea on removing the heat sink.
I wonder if you could wire tie it so it wouldnt let go and damage the inside of the computer?

http://www.casesbypelican.com/app-1660.htm
Old 01-19-2020, 10:36 AM

Hello,
I am travelling to Singapore with my G4 Mac, I would like to know what is the best travel insurance there and I am looking for the annual travel insurance promotion
Thanks !

Last edited by MixerPro; 02-01-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:38 AM

Insurance may be pointless... a G4 is just not worth much, and if you are relying on this to make money there you will not be able to insure against the real cost if you lose this G5... the cost to you of hassles, and loss of income.

"traveling... with my G4 Mac" I hope you understand the shipping costs carefully, especially if you are planning on flying with this as excess baggage.

If you need to be portable/transportable get a MacBook Pro. Compact. Shockproof, robust SSD. Hopefully no need for external disks. You carry it in your carry on bag. Got its own display with it. Lots more compute power, and more memory available in a modern MacBook Pro than the G5. And if it did break, or get stolen, Apple or others can get you going again fast. Why not put all the shipping, packing, and insurance costs towards a MBP? Maybe purchase it in Singapore.

(If you are relocating to Singapore with a lot of stuff then I expect computers and studio gear to go in a shipping container. And usual insurers who cover containers to cover the entire contents. Done this multiple times.)

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-19-2020 at 12:54 PM.