Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 02:43 PM

Default Anyone using Soundcraft M series?

This is looking like a good idea, but I have a few questions.

What do the converters sound like on this board? Would it be a noticeable improvement over the 001's converters if I were to begin tracking through this? I am aware that it is only S/PDIF out and no word clock, but that would be fine for me at this point. I'll be upgrading converters, etc. soon enough. I was just curious as to whether this would be a good(better) alternative to the 001's A/D for the time being as well as a great mixer for other applications.

thanks.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Anyone using Soundcraft M series?

Hi,

I'm not using that, but I've heard that the mic pre's are the same as in Soundcraft's Spirit Ghost recording desk (quiet and transparent). I wouldn't by it to replace the A/D of the 001, but if it has direct outs, you could use it to add more xlr/mic pre inputs to your system.

R
Old 12-27-2004, 03:47 PM

yea, its got an out for each channel..which is nice.

Im not actually looking at it to replace the A/D of the 001, Im just wondering if I would notice a nice change in its A/D for the time being.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:57 PM

I've got the M-12, but I've never used the converters. I'd be interested to know what they sound like also, just out of curiousity.

I love the pre's on it, though, which I use all the time. I have an RME ADI-8 for converters, so using the M-12 pres with the RME converters is a great combination, IMHO.

My $.02.

-Rufman
Old 12-27-2004, 08:07 PM

Thanks guys.

Yea..that RME setup becomes an option. What do you think of your RME vs. Apogee's older psx-100. I know its got limited i/o, but if the Apogee's conversion is that much better I may go that way.

So..how do you have your M12 configured with your setup?

BTW- if your curious, why dont you unplug the RME and give the M12's A/D a try?
Old 12-28-2004, 06:55 PM

Have you tried summing through the M12 vs. in the box?

How is it?
Old 12-29-2004, 06:31 PM

I basically use the preamps in the M-12 and then into the RME and into the 001 via optical.

I've never used the M-12 for summing - I just haven't done much experimenting with it. I know nothing about the apogee stuff either. I like M-12 because of the preamps, for one, but also because it's a good live mixer.

I have come up with a good combination (I think) with the RME and the M-12. So I concentrate more on the music now. I could drive myself nuts trying to think of what might be better, but I'd rather spend my energy on the music. I think creativity is a right-brained activity, and thinking about equipment is a left-brained activity. For a long time, I kept thinking of what would be my next purchase, and I wasn't creating. So once I got my rig where I wanted, I told the purchase agent in my mind to take a hike.

That's not to say that improving one's recording environment is bad. And I applaud you for being curious about experimenting. It's just once I bought the RME to convert the sound coming from the M-12, I felt I had the quality I was looking for. You know what I mean?

Anyway, if I experiment with the converters in the M-12 via S/PDIF, I'll let you know.

Good luck to you!

-Rufman
Old 12-29-2004, 10:11 PM

yea, yea, yea....lol

agreed.

just like to ask questions before a purchase and I thank you for your time.