Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 03-02-2018, 11:11 PM

Default Waves SSL G Buss Comp - Weird fade in

Hello,

So I read the manual, no need to refer me to it, but the SSL G comp's Fade options are weird for me.
The fade out works just fine; Ill set the amount of time, and when I click fade out, it fades out every time.
The fade in however only Fades In after a fade out, and never from the start of the song.
So, I set the amount of time, I automate the fade in button to be pressed at the beginning of a song, then when I press play, it would not fade in.
Here is the only time it works, After a fade out, If I click fade in again, it'll fade in.
Am I missing something here? because if thats how its supposed to work then its pretty useless.
And yes I know I could just automate the master fader for the fades.
Does anyone have experience with that option and can tell me what its meant for and how does it work?
I mean according to the manual, and common sense, when I click fade in, it should start from -inf to unity....

Thanks
Old 03-03-2018, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Waves SSL G Buss Comp - Weird fade in

It’s behaving exactly like hardware does. You must lower the level of the VCA (fade out ) before you can fade back in.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
It’s behaving exactly like hardware does. You must lower the level of the VCA (fade out ) before you can fade back in.

So from the plug in it self? Like press/automate fade out then fade in. Or fade out the bus's vca before the fade in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2018, 03:00 PM

Yea I always wondered about this

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredir View Post
So from the plug in it self? Like press/automate fade out then fade in. Or fade out the bus's vca before the fade in?

Read how the actual hardware works and you'll get it.
http://www.solidstatelogic.com/studi...ssor/documents
(see owner's manual)
The vca in reference is that this is a vca compressor
Old 03-04-2018, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Read how the actual hardware works and you'll get it.

http://www.solidstatelogic.com/studi...ssor/documents

(see owner's manual)

The vca in reference is that this is a vca compressor

Hello,
I read that as well. I know how to fade in and out using the device, and I get that it’s done so that the compressor settings doesn’t change with the fades.
But I’m confused as to why I have to fade out, then fade in, before a song starts so that I could fade in.
Was it a hardware limitation and waves are simply keeping it true to the original or what exactly?

Sorry for being anal about this but I really need to know

Old 03-04-2018, 01:56 AM

Think about it for a moment. A fade is an automatic volume control that goes from 0% to 100% no matter if it's analog or digital. Do you think you it is possible to make fade in (analog or digital) if the volume is already on 100%?

The solution for you is to leave a few seconds before the song and use fade out in that part so the volume goes to 0% before the audio begins, this way it will be possible to put it back to 100% with a fade in.

It could have been possible to make a setting where the volume was set to 0 as the starting point but that not how the plug was designed, probably to stay faithful to the hardware
Old 03-04-2018, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Think about it for a moment. A fade is an automatic volume control that goes from 0% to 100% no matter if it's analog or digital. Do you think you it is possible to make fade in (analog or digital) if the volume is already on 100%?

The solution for you is to leave a few seconds before the song and use fade out in that part so the volume goes to 0% before the audio begins, this way it will be possible to put it back to 100% with a fade in.

It could have been possible to make a setting where the volume was set to 0 as the starting point but that not how the plug was designed, probably to stay faithful to the hardware

Great
Thanks yes it does make sense in a analog way.