Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-22-2018, 01:20 PM

Default Re: The end of Pro Tools 12 (new version number scheme)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Mine just says 12.8.3

didn't realise there had been an update.

Mine is just vanilla non HD but at minimum i'll be upgrading to HD software soon, then eventually hardware.. perhaps HD releases get priority?
Sorry, I was not pointing that post to anyone .. just a jab at how we might talk about versions inthe future hehe

Edited mypost with a "banter" Sorry for the confusion

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-22-2018, 03:25 PM

rofl read your edited post, got it now. My bad!
Old 01-22-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
rofl read your edited post, got it now. My bad!

I was unclear and I saw that so I edited the post and it is still sheeeeet but you get what I was trying to say hehe

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-22-2018, 05:31 PM

One of the big PITA with the Avid annual upgrade plan (from my perspective) has been that every update was a full installer - and a fairly sizeable file at that.

You want Avid to keep pumping out regular updates, but when you're dealing with a new, full installer, every couple of months... it's just not worth the headache.

So I'm glad to see that Avid are now going to be supplying patch installers.

Here's the thing though - I already decided that I'm going back to Avid's old business model, on my terms :

Avid release a version of PT that offers added features, and stability, that I require - I pay the reinstatement fee ( and get a years worth of patches / updates), which pretty much equates to an upgrade using the old business model.

I let my plan lapse, and carry on working (a year, two years, maybe three) until Avid release another worthwhile version, and I reinstate again.

It may cost me more, it may work out the same - I may even make a saving - but I'm buying the product I want, when I want it, without the hassle, and upheaval.

I actually welcome this slight return to the old way of releasing updates, with the news that patches will be made available - though I still feel the notion of monthly updates is a double edged sword.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
So I'm glad to see that Avid are now going to be supplying patch installers.

Hmmmm... I don’t think they are literally going to be releasing patches for Pro Tools. I still think it’s going to be rolled into a full installer.

I may be wrong, but I think we’ll be disappointed if we expect the updates to be similar to say Mac OS point update or supplemental update.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
... I don’t think they are literally going to be releasing patches for Pro Tools. I still think it’s going to be rolled into a full installer...
I suspect you are right. Main advantages for literal small patch updates is fast roll out (as soon as a patch is available) and size. However, when a clean (re)install is necessary, one has to install the main full installer followed by its subsequent patches. It will be nice to offer both choices but it may lead to increased cost (due to testing multiple files, planning, storage...).
Old 01-23-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Hmmmm... I don’t think they are literally going to be releasing patches for Pro Tools. I still think it’s going to be rolled into a full installer.

I may be wrong, but I think we’ll be disappointed if we expect the updates to be similar to say Mac OS point update or supplemental update.

I read somewhere that they will simultaneously release a full installer, and just the patch installer.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.