How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 07-25-2019, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Heat + Complete Plugin Bundle for all subscribers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Didn't they just publish a crossgrade pricing from perpetual to subscription? If subscription looks more appealing to you, just take it.

That's really not the point, Janne. My point was simply that, the way Heat is being offered (as well as the plugin bundle), those that have invested the most have to pay $199 to get Heat whereas those who came in on subscription within the past year or two, get it free. That seems backwards to me (and others as well). Many of us started with outright purchase way back when (7.0 for me, for example), and paid for upgrades right along, then switched to the annual plan when it was offered, entitling us to all upgrades for one annual fee. Great. But those of us in that category have to pay and additional $199 for Heat. Granted that way cheaper than the normal cost. But, those that just got into Pro Tools in the last year or two on the subscription plan for $199 or whatever, get heat at NO additional cost. They've invested far less than many of us over the years and they get the deal. That's the point.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:52 AM

Sure, I get it. I don't make policies.

I just understand that Avid is making whatever they can to get people to subscribe so what you feel now is just telling they are nailing it.

And you also pointed out that business changes their pricing along the way. I also remember PT 5.1 and some paid upgrades along the way, but it was in the distant past and maybe the perpetual licensing is also thing of yesteryear. Don't know, wouldn't take a guess. It just seems that subscription model is the thing for now.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:57 AM

There was no version of this that wasn't going to involve ruffling some feathers among the loyal. You can't just blow up your whole business model without ticking off a certain section of the user base, and I'm sure that factored into the decision making process, somewhat.

They want us all on subs as soon as possible, so they need to make the sub look as attractive as possible, as soon as possible. There won't be any mea culpa or quid pro without MAJOR outcry and controversy (which isn't going to happen), and I'd expect that they'll do away with perpetual licenses altogether as soon as they feel they can.

The thing that worries me is that this new model doesn't exactly give them any more incentive to innovate or update the program and it's features than they already have.
I don't know who Avid sees as being their main competition, but my guess is that whomever is on that list may not be the same companies we think of when discussing it here.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 07-25-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Would be like Falcon, tied to the subscription which would be only appealing to some....so, probably soon
Hmmmm weren’t we given Falcon? Didn’t realise it was tied to something.... like the update and support plan.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 07-25-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
Wait a minute. I'm a perpetual Pro Tools subscriber. Why don't I get free HEAT and the Complete Plugin Bundle just like a non-perpetual subscriber? How is this fair?

Well that is what they say in the business..... the deal sweetener. If they did that then no incentive to move to a subby lic.

Personally I have no issue paying a US$199.00 one off fee for HEAT so I can keep me perp lic.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 07-25-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Hmmmm weren’t we given Falcon? Didn’t realise it was tied to something.... like the update and support plan.
I believe it is tied to support plan just like the Avid Plugin bundle.

Last year Avid was talking up all the new "products" they were prepping and i tried to remind everyone that "subscriptions" and "cloud services" were "products" to corp think, with a much larger profit margin than actual hardware and even software. So now we have avid play and a whole bunch of subs.
The writing was on the wall and i think there will be more to come as far as turning avid into a holding company for various "IT" type services. The new control surfaces are not bad but not game changing IMHO and i really dont think they're even close to done changing their business model.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Sure, I get it. I don't make policies.

I just understand that Avid is making whatever they can to get people to subscribe so what you feel now is just telling they are nailing it.

And you also pointed out that business changes their pricing along the way. I also remember PT 5.1 and some paid upgrades along the way, but it was in the distant past and maybe the perpetual licensing is also thing of yesteryear. Don't know, wouldn't take a guess. It just seems that subscription model is the thing for now.

Oh, I have no doubt the subscription model is the thing now, and not just for music production software. Other business applications are going to that model as well. In the end, no one will "own" anything where software is concerned. I actually don't mind the subscription model in the long run. I'm only suggesting that when they offer these incentives or upgrades, that long time loyalty be rewarded first.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Nope. The Avid / Falcon sounds are tied to the subscription and support plan so if you stop with that it will stop the library. The UVI player will still work but thats free from UVI website for everyone so not a gift at all.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-26-2019, 09:43 AM

When HD Native got HEAT I ran to eBay and paid $199 for a license. It is what it is.
Avid going to subscription...the writing was on the wall once Adobe made the move. The one thing Adobe did, which I am hoping Avid will also do, is when they cut off the perpetual licenses, they froze them. Meaning I can still load and open my Adobe Creative Suite 6 products. If I decide not to go with the subscription, I should still be able to use the HD license I have paid cash for over the last 10 years, just at the last version that Avid "freezes" the perpetual licenses on.
If Avid kills the perpetual license and doesn't allow users to use the iLok licenses to open any Pro Tools version then that would be a crime in my opinion.

I for one will never go to a subscription for any DAW, as I did not go for the Adobe subscription. Subscriptions are for businesses that need Enterprise level support. Not for consumers that use the products casually or for a hobby.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 07-26-2019, 10:29 AM

My Auto renewall is allready OFF and AVID will probably never make another $ from me. I guess the 900$ I paid 3 years ago and the 99$/year was not enought for them. To Bad.