Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-27-2010, 10:26 AM

Default What should be hooked up to UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply)

Hey guys, just picked up this:

http://canadacomputers.com/index.php...85&cid=PWP.101

I currently have my DAW and my two LCD monitors (23 inch and 19 inch) connected to battery back up and my studio monitors (KRK Rokit 5's) connected to the surge protection. My question is, and I don't see why it would be a problem just wanted to be safe and ask, is it ok to connect the studio monitors to the battery back up portion of the UPS? According to the LCD screen on the UPS, it is not even at half load with the DAW and lcd monitors connected. What do you guys think?

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:20 AM

Default Re: What should be hooked up to UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply)

I only connect monitor's(vid) and computer. Those are the only things I need running in the event of a power failure. And that just gives me time to shut down properly.
Speakers (and everything else) are surge protected but not UPS'd. I wouldn't continue to work during a power outage so I consider it unnecessary.
YMMV
Old 03-27-2010, 12:40 PM

I have a similar sized APC UPS and have everything on it EXCEPT the speakers(powered Event SP8's and Powered sub).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-27-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I have a similar sized APC UPS and have everything on it EXCEPT the speakers(powered Event SP8's and Powered sub).
Is there a reasoning behind not putting the speakers on it? Or just not enough room?
Old 03-27-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS40 View Post
I only connect monitor's(vid) and computer. Those are the only things I need running in the event of a power failure. And that just gives me time to shut down properly.
Speakers (and everything else) are surge protected but not UPS'd. I wouldn't continue to work during a power outage so I consider it unnecessary.
YMMV
That's a great point, I currently have everything connected to my UPS.. and in power outages, I would simply run and switch off everything that was unnecessarily taking up juice and limiting my safe shut down.

Thanks for the tip.

Windows 7 - Reaper 3 - Lynx Aurora 16 - RME HDSPe AES - DigiMax FS - Eureka - Axiom Pro - Yamaha HS80Ms + HS10W Sub
Old 03-27-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by word_play View Post
Is there a reasoning behind not putting the speakers on it? Or just not enough room?
The speakers are the biggest current draw(outside of the computer) and if the power goes out, I don't need them(and I don't want preamps and such to go down in case I am in record).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-27-2010, 03:55 PM

While it's true that no one would want the live recording session to go down, you have to realize how many UPS units you want to purchase for this situation. While I'm at home, the main thing for me would be the computer, any external hardrives, monitor, and the interface. The reason for these simply is to shutdown the system and wait till the power comes back. It's important to save the session and the drives where everything is at, so the speakers, outboard gear etc, i can live without. In the studio it's a different story.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:15 PM

makes sense.. thanks for the input guys.