Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2014, 07:57 PM

Default Audio keeps dissappearing from project

My audio sound keeps disappearing ( every 1/2 hour or so) from my Pro tools 11.2.0 projects ?

To have it return , I have to keep returning to the playback engine settings page and switch from one setting to another ( eg; from 1050 to 512 ) before sound is restored

Note , it doesn't matter which setting I change to , its the actual changing of that setting followed by clicking OK, then the sound is finally restored , and I carry on

My windows 7 laptop is under powered I know (i7-1.87 ghz), but on this current project , so far the CPU meter is only hitting 47% (this will go up as I start adding more tracks though. I also have all possible optimizations in place for pro tools

I have asked this question once on this forum .....,

- when I was having similar issues ,

........,and since then Ive followed those recommendations , and clean installed window again , plus all apps including pro tools ,all my plugs , V.Is - everything. I only have OS and apps running on my main C-Drive (SSD) , Everything else is on secondary drives .

...., and after the clean install everything did seem to go ok for a few months ...,

- and since then, the only new plugs ive added since pro tools was running good have been

- lexiconPCM, sound toys pack, kush plugs, ezdrummer2, and trigger - with all the latest updates performed for everything I have installed.

I cant explain what could be causing the dramas ???

I can keep changing the settings in the playback engine , but only so many times , as It ends up eventually crashing pro tools and my whole PC with the blue screen.

Soon enough I will have the new Mac pro , but until then I must to keep working on this machine in the meantime , and rely in it for field recordings.

Any (further) help , highly super appreciated .... cheers
Old 07-07-2014, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Audio keeps dissappearing from project

by the description your output stops working and not that files are going missing

what are you using for your interface?

if your using ASIO4ALL have you gotten the update?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-07-2014, 11:53 PM

What exactly happens when the sound stops? Do the meters stop moving in Pro Tools? Do you ever get a pop-up error?

If you uncheck ignore errors in the playback engine settings do you then see an error pop-up.

Do you have system sound settings in Windows also trying to use the same interface? (go check, make them use the laptops internal audio).

And is your system is fully optimized? every last thing done?

Including have you have disabled power management, and do not sleep/suspend the system with the Mbox Pro (?) connected and powered on?

Try a different Firewire cable and/or any converters.

If using the Mbox Pro I hope your laptop has a TI chipset based Firewire controller, and you have tired the standard troubleshooting using the legacy Firewire driver?

Start at the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link above on this and every other DUC page. Optimization and standard troubleshooting steps are there.

If you are still having problems post a SiSoft Sandra report.

What are you recording to what inputs on the interface? If using digital inputs, what is clocking what?
Old 07-08-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
by the description your output stops working and not that files are going missing

what are you using for your interface?

if your using ASIO4ALL have you gotten the update?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What exactly happens when the sound stops? Do the meters stop moving in Pro Tools? Do you ever get a pop-up error?

If you uncheck ignore errors in the playback engine settings do you then see an error pop-up.

Do you have system sound settings in Windows also trying to use the same interface? (go check, make them use the laptops internal audio).

And is your system is fully optimized? every last thing done?

Including have you have disabled power management, and do not sleep/suspend the system with the Mbox Pro (?) connected and powered on?

Try a different Firewire cable and/or any converters.

If using the Mbox Pro I hope your laptop has a TI chipset based Firewire controller, and you have tired the standard troubleshooting using the legacy Firewire driver?

Start at the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link above on this and every other DUC page. Optimization and standard troubleshooting steps are there.

If you are still having problems post a SiSoft Sandra report.

What are you recording to what inputs on the interface? If using digital inputs, what is clocking what?
Thanks for the replies guys

Ive added the sandra report , and I will answer your questions .

1st - when the audio stops - the meters and everything is still working as per usual ( but is like someone has turned down the volume knob on my monitors) ..., and no pop up errors either when the audio dissapears ?

2nd - unchecking "ignore errors" makes no difference , and no messages pop up either when nthis is unchecked ?

3rd - My audio interface for pro tools is an Mbox pro ..., but I use this for pro tools only , any other PC audio use (eg- windows media player , winamp , skype, you tube videos etc ..., all use the PC's 3.5MM headphone jack to run audio into secondary speakers (ie , nothing other than pro tools uses the Mbox pro.

4th - Yes ive optimized to the hilt , from avids tips , you tube video optimization tips for pro tools ,black vipers windows 7 optimization tips , also tips from mac pro video tuition _ groove three ...., I also make sure my norton antivirus is turned on to silent mode when working in pro tools

5th - My system is set to never sleep or suspend including periferals via usb etc

6th - RE; recording , Im just using the analog audio inputs on the mbox pro , like mics , D.I guitars , or using a midi keyboard (m-audio axiom) via usb to trigger midi within Virtual instuments ..., and thats it ?.

RE; "If using the Mbox Pro I hope your laptop has a TI chipset based Firewire controller, and you have tired the standard troubleshooting using the legacy Firewire driver? " ......, I am unsure about any of this or how/where to check this ?

RE; Try a different Firewire cable and /or any converters - Unfortunatly I do not have another cable to check this with , as I am in Bali I doubt I can get one local off hand..., I guessing if worst comes to worst - Id have to look for one one on ebay form overseas , and have it shipped to Bali for me to check this ?

.........., Also worth noting , All my plug-ins , and V.Is - I fully own, and are all fully authorized versions, and also updated to the latest versions.

There is no pirated crap on my PC..., and all windows and OS related updates , plus norton etc all have the latest updates .

...., im stumped ?

here is the sandra report , I hope you guys may spot something from it

SiSoftware Sandra

ID
Host Name : SNOW-PC
Workgroup : WORKGROUP

Computer
Model : Toshiba Qosmio X500
Serial Number : XA32*****
Chassis : Toshiba Notebook
Mainboard : Toshiba Qosmio X500
Serial Number : XA32*****
BIOS : Toshiba V2.90 12/10/2010
Total Memory : 16GB DDR3 SO-DIMM

Processors
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 840 @ 1.87GHz (4C 8T 2GHz/3.19GHz, 2GHz IMC, 4x 256kB L2, 8MB L3)
Socket/Slot : FC PGA988

Chipset
Memory Controller : Toshiba Core (Clarksfield/Lynnfield) DMI 2x 2.4GHz (4.79GHz)
Memory Controller : Intel Core Mobile (Clarksfield) UnCore 2x 2.4GHz (4.79GHz), 2x 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM 1.33GHz 128-bit

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Kingston 99U5428-068A00LF 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM PC3-10700S DDR3-1334 (9-9-9-25 4-34-10-5)
Memory Module : Kingston 99U5428-068A00LF 8GB DDR3 SO-DIMM PC3-10700S DDR3-1334 (9-9-9-25 4-34-10-5)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : Samsung Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080, LTN184HT04T01, 25.0")
Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M (4CU 192SP SM5.0 1.35GHz, 384kB L2, 1.5GB 2.5GHz 192-bit, PCIe 2.00 x16)

Graphics Processor
OpenCL GP Processor : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M (192SP 4C 1.35GHz, 384kB L2, 1.5GB 2.5GHz 192-bit)
Compute Shader Processor : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M (192SP 4C 1.35GHz, 384kB L2, 1.5GB 2.5GHz 192-bit)
CUDA GP Processor : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M (192SP 4C 1.35GHz, 384kB L2, 1.5GB 2.5GHz 192-bit)

Storage Devices
Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series (512.1GB, SATA600, SSD) : 477GB (C:) (F:) (H:)
HGST HTS721010A9E630 (1TB, SATA600, 2.5", 7200rpm, 32MB Cache) : 932GB (D:)
LaCie Rugged USB3-FW (1TB, USB2/SATA300, 15MB Cache) : 932GB (J:)
Seagate ST4000DM000-1F2168 (4TB, USB2/SATA600, 3.5", 5900rpm) : 4TB (I:)
MAT[bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ABD-MLT UJ240ES (SATA150, BD-RE, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : N/A (E:)

Logical Storage Devices
Data (H:) : 400MB (NTFS) @ Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series (512.1GB, SATA600, SSD)
2nd Drive (D:) : 932GB (NTFS) @ HGST HTS721010A9E630 (1TB, SATA600, 2.5", 7200rpm, 32MB Cache)
LaCie 4 MAC (J:) : 932GB (NTFS) @ LaCie Rugged USB3-FW (1TB, USB2/SATA300, 15MB Cache)
4TB Ext HD (I:) : 4TB (NTFS) @ Seagate ST4000DM000-1F2168 (4TB, USB2/SATA600, 3.5", 5900rpm)
Data (F:) : 800MB (NTFS) @ Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series (512.1GB, SATA600, SSD)
C Drive (C:) : 429GB (NTFS) @ Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series (512.1GB, SATA600, SSD)
Optical Drive (E:) : N/A @ MAT[bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ABD-MLT UJ240ES (SATA150, BD-RE, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : Toshiba PM55 LPC Interface Controller
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : Winbond WPCE775LA
Audio Device : Toshiba P55/PM55/3400 High Definition Audio
Audio Device : Toshiba GF106 High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Codec : nVidia 0011
Serial Port(s) : 2
Disk Controller : Toshiba P55/PM55/3400 6 port SATA AHCI Controller
Disk Controller : Toshiba O2Micro Integrated MMC/SD controller
Disk Controller : Toshiba O2Micro Integrated MS/MSPRO/xD Controller
USB Controller 1 : Toshiba P55/PM55/3400 USB2 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Controller 2 : Toshiba P55/PM55/3400 USB2 Enhanced Host Controller
FireWire/1394 Controller 1 : Toshiba 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel ICH SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)

Network Services
Network Adapter : Atheros AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20) (Ethernet)
Wireless Adapter : Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC (802.11g (ERP), TKIP, 24Mbps)

Power Management
Battery No 1 : SANYO NS2P3SZNJ4WO 94.43Wh/8.04Ah

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 7 Home 6.01.7601 (Service Pack 1)
Platform Compliance : x64

Windows Experience Index
Current System : 7.1
Old 07-08-2014, 07:33 AM

Well one thing is -- you can't tell it directly from the a Sandra report but that motherboard has an O2 Firewire chipset not the recommended TI chipset. The O2 definitely cause problems at times, but I am not sure about exact symptoms like you are seeing. I would hope if it was a Firewire glitch that Pro Tools would throw an error, but I just don't know. If you had to get this running and wanted to order parts to test with I would get a Firewire ExpressCard with TI chipset.

I am not going to feel sorry for you living in Bali. An amazingly beautiful place (away from the tourists).
Old 07-08-2014, 09:24 AM

"3rd - My audio interface for pro tools is an Mbox pro ..., but I use this for pro tools only , any other PC audio use (eg- windows media player , winamp , skype, you tube videos etc ..., all use the PC's 3.5MM headphone jack to run audio into secondary speakers (ie , nothing other than pro tools uses the Mbox pro."

You need to go to Control Panel>Sound and be sure your Windows/PC Audio uses your onboard soundcard and not the Mbox. Just because the PC Audio is coming out the PC's jack doesn't mean the Mbox is not being used.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-08-2014, 10:23 AM

Default Audio keeps dissappearing from project

One thing I would try is to just check the a Mbox Pro on another system, and maybe with another DAW or even general audio app to see if it is stable. And since I mistrust AV software a long-shot thing to try is to fully disable or even better uninstall Norton AV.

Besides the Firewire chipset I do not see any other issues jumping out in your Sandra report.

You can also check the Windows Event Viewer to see if there are any unusual warning/errors being reported.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
"3rd - My audio interface for pro tools is an Mbox pro ..., but I use this for pro tools only , any other PC audio use (eg- windows media player , winamp , skype, you tube videos etc ..., all use the PC's 3.5MM headphone jack to run audio into secondary speakers (ie , nothing other than pro tools uses the Mbox pro."

You need to go to Control Panel>Sound and be sure your Windows/PC Audio uses your onboard soundcard and not the Mbox. Just because the PC Audio is coming out the PC's jack doesn't mean the Mbox is not being used.

Cheers,
thx weed , thanks for assisting in this troubleshoot , much appreciated
ive checked there , and it is showing playback as coming from my conexant smart audio HD as default and with green tick ( as it should be )

I will try to check further from Darryls input