Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 09-06-2005, 07:30 AM

Default MIDI Interface that works with Digi 001?

Hi,

wonder if anyone could give me some advice. I'm thinking of buying a USB MIDI-interface to expand the ports of my setup so I can have separate midi ports dedicated to each piece of hardware that I use. I was thinking about purchasing an Emagic AMT8 or an Emagic MT4 or a Roland MPU64.

I am worried about spending money on an interface and then finding out that it's not going to work with my "Legacy" Digi 001 studio. I'm running Pro Tools 6.4 on a Mac G4 with OSX.3.8.

I've checked around on the net and found one worrying post on Tweakheadz lab forum about problems running an AMT8 with the same setup that I have. Here's the thread

http://studio-central.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=20346

with no solution to this problem!!

Will the Emagic AMT8 work with my studio set up?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:00 AM

Default Re: MIDI Interface that works with Digi 001?

G,day mate,

I've been out of the loop for a couple of years, so bear with my disjointed answer...

I ran an AMT8 with PT5 on OS9, no worries.... (except for crap timing under CPU load - disable the plug-ins when recording MIDI and I got by).

I then packed up shop and travelled, relocated for the past couple of years...

Just in the process of getting back into it...

My new iBook (OS10.3.9) sees the AMT8, and I'm able to create a virtual MIDI set-up with it.

...I'm in the process of upgrading to the Digi002R so no PT experience yet, but fingers crossed.

(N.B. Digi have confirmed that 'time stamping' is only available to their own MIDI IO interface, and I've yet to discover whether the faster CPU and/or OSX will save me from the heartache of PT5/OS9. If no improvement, I'll be selling my AMT8).

Hope that helps.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:01 PM

i use a motu mtp a/v that I got used for $75 bucks. The serial version. It uses less system resources than USB and was a biotch to set up cause i didn't get a manual... however it was $75 and is an 8 in and 8 out with a clock.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:22 PM

This is bloody weird, but I have used a AMT8 with my Digi001 on a Quicksilver 867 and that has never gave me problems at all! (ProTools 5). So I am not sure what really happened to the other folks with the similar setup.

Anyway, I wanted to ask, how many MIDI ports do you require? Ever considered interfaces from MOTU or Edirol?
Old 10-10-2005, 02:45 AM

you have problem already got something, but to anyone who reads this thread
get an EDIROL, there is a reason why they are approved by digidesign