Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 AM

Default Do I really need some external plug-ins for post production at home (such as waves)

hello guys,

as far as I see on youtube, most of the mixing/mastering guys use different plug-ins, other than those come with pro tools.

do you guys think that expensive plug-ins such as waves or others are far better than the ones come with pro tools? if I be more spesific, I might consider buying this bundle but not sure it would be worth the huge price (which is like $500)

so basically, I'm asking whether there is any reasons to leave maxim and buy an expensive limiter instead.

thanks
Old 04-25-2012, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Do I really need some external plug-ins for post production at home (such as wave

As far as a limiter goes, you don't need to spend a lot. The Massey L2007 works very well, and it's price really sets it above most others.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Do I really need some external plug-ins for post production at home (such as wave

I was watching random mixing/mastering videos about logic pro 9 and its stock plug-ins seemed like they are better than pro tools' stock plug-ins. I checked massey L2007's price, which is $85 if I remember correctly.

logic pro 9 is $200, which is like the maximum limit I can spend and I think it would not be a bad move if I purchase logic pro 9 so I get presumably good stock plug-ins and moreover, a whole new DAW. not that I dislike pro tools but, would probably be nice/better to have two insane DAWs and actually I'm paying for plug-ins but getting also a DAW. if you see my point.

so yeah, as you can tell I'm really confused and not sure what to do.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:44 PM

I agree that Logic's stock plugins are better than Protools, so that's one way to go.

And while I like the L2, I wouldn't spend $500 just for those 3 plugins. That would only make sense if you got them as part of a bigger bundle, like Platinum.

It seems like you're focused on the Mastering side of things. You really should consider Ozone 5, for $199. Download the demo and see if you like it.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I agree that Logic's stock plugins are better than Protools, so that's one way to go.

And while I like the L2, I wouldn't spend $500 just for those 3 plugins. That would only make sense if you got them as part of a bigger bundle, like Platinum.

It seems like you're focused on the Mastering side of things. You really should consider Ozone 5, for $199. Download the demo and see if you like it.
wow, it's like ozone 5 is the thing I'm looking for but it's $249, not $199 that's unfortunate because i'd definitely buy it if it was 199. now I gotta save some more. thank you.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:15 PM

I took part in a sound design on a feature length movie with little more than the air EQ's, bomb factory compression and sound replacer.

Plug in's wont make it any easier, if anything it presents the decision of "which way should i handle this scene".

However it is much easier to do ADR and foley with vocalign, rather than creating warp markers in protools

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 04-25-2012, 05:26 PM

I'm using Logic and have to say the plugs are very nice, especially the compressor! I had the Waves Gold bundle on my old PT 001 and never bothered to spend the $200 upgrade when I got Logic. Instead, I got Ozone 5 and am very very impressed. It's really an amazing suite of mastering tools under one roof. It's very powerful, deep and fun to use. But if you're new to mastering give yourself time to learn how the varios tools work. It's easy to make your track sound worse!! Try out the presets to get your feet wet. FWIW the Mid/Side functionality is awesome.

Fritz
Old 04-25-2012, 07:53 PM

DBVoyager,

Ozone 5 is $199 at dealers. It's only $249 on the Izotope website because they charge full list price.

All the popular dealers like Sweetwater, Musiciansfriend, Guitar Center, Audiomidi have it for $199.

Sign up for Guitar Center's emails and about every couple of weeks they send you a coupon code for 10 to 15% off. So you can get it even cheaper (just order it from gc.com).
Old 04-25-2012, 07:56 PM

DAR Fritz,

If you haven't updated your Gold bundle in years, there's been several new plugins added including the V Series (Neve emulation), H-Delay, H-Comp, GTR3, and a few others.

You'll get all of it if you buy the update plan, which should be under $200. Plus you'll get version 9 which doesn't use Ilok anymore.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAR Fritz View Post
I'm using Logic and have to say the plugs are very nice, especially the compressor! I had the Waves Gold bundle on my old PT 001 and never bothered to spend the $200 upgrade when I got Logic. Instead, I got Ozone 5 and am very very impressed. It's really an amazing suite of mastering tools under one roof. It's very powerful, deep and fun to use. But if you're new to mastering give yourself time to learn how the varios tools work. It's easy to make your track sound worse!! Try out the presets to get your feet wet. FWIW the Mid/Side functionality is awesome.

Fritz
oh yeah, I'm quite new to mastering. however, I could manage to make records which were liked by my friends and they say that I should start some serious recording and mastering sessions with serious equipment. In fact, I just need something like ozone 5 for whole mixing and mastering dynamics control. and the other thing I need is a drums vst, that's all. eleven rack is very useful for me so far -even though I hate its sound sometimes- so I should get some final, serious software and get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
DBVoyager,

Ozone 5 is $199 at dealers. It's only $249 on the Izotope website because they charge full list price.

All the popular dealers like Sweetwater, Musiciansfriend, Guitar Center, Audiomidi have it for $199.

Sign up for Guitar Center's emails and about every couple of weeks they send you a coupon code for 10 to 15% off. So you can get it even cheaper (just order it from gc.com).
that's awesome news. thanks a lot.
edit: holy sh.. guitar center sells ozone 5 in turkish liras (and I'm from turkey) and the price is awesome!