Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 10-04-2013, 01:51 PM

Default PT 10 - Can't open PT without my interface plugged in

I get this error every time I try to open Pro Tools without my interface plugged in.

"The selected ASIO device could not be initialized. Please choose another audio device"

I'm on Windows 7. I'm using a Tascam US-1800 audio interface.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:55 PM

Default Re: PT 10 - Can't open PT without my interface plugged in

Pro Tools 9 (and later) still need audio hardware, even if it's the built-in sound hardware or sound card. I had to install ASIO4ALL on my Windows rig for PT to access the built-in audio hardware, and you might need to hold N while launching to get to the Engine window where you select your audio hardware.

See:
avid.force.com/pkb/articles/error_message/pro-tools-hardware-not-installed-or-used-by-another-program-error
avid.force.com/pkb/articles/how_to/How-to-use-Pro-Tools-and-ASIO4ALL
Old 10-04-2013, 02:31 PM

Default Re: PT 10 - Can't open PT without my interface plugged in

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Pro Tools 9 (and later) still need audio hardware, even if it's the built-in sound hardware or sound card. I had to install ASIO4ALL on my Windows rig for PT to access the built-in audio hardware, and you might need to hold N while launching to get to the Engine window where you select your audio hardware.

See:
avid.force.com/pkb/articles/error_message/pro-tools-hardware-not-installed-or-used-by-another-program-error
avid.force.com/pkb/articles/how_to/How-to-use-Pro-Tools-and-ASIO4ALL
Thank you so much!!! This worked! I can't describe how amazing this is. I actually thought for years that I had to have my interface plugged in, but then someone told me that PT changed that and I needed to have this work for an internship. Really, thanks a lot!

edit: It's the ASIO4ALL link that worked.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:00 PM

Thumbs up Re: PT 10 - Can't open PT without my interface plugged in

Glad that helped!

This was probably the biggest change in the Pro Tools 9 release back in 2010 - the ability to use 3rd party audio hardware (including built-in Mac and PC audio). That hardware still needs a driver which is handled by Core Audio on the Mac and typically ASIO4ALL on Windows.

Enjoy your new portability...