Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-07-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Power Indicator Light on MBox 2 Pro - Orange or Green?

Hello,

I am setting up my new MBox 2 Pro today, connecting it to a Mac Pro 2.66 Quad Xeon running MacOS X 10.4.8. My question is in regards to the power indicator light on the front of the MBox 2 Pro.

What color should the indicator be for proper operation? When I connect the MBox 2 Pro to the computer's FW400 port, without the AC adapter connected, the light on the front of the MBox is orange. This is the case regardless of cable length, or whether it is plugged into the front or rear FW400 port. I also tried connecting it to a different Mac. Same situation. When bus powered, the power indicator light is always orange.

However, when I plug in the AC adapter to the MBox 2 Pro, it turns green.

So...does the orange light mean simply that the MBox 2 Pro is getting bus power, and the green light means it's getting AC power, OR does the orange light actually mean that it isn't getting SUFFICIENT power from the firewire bus, and that the AC adapter should be plugged in. In other words, should the indicator light always be GREEN regardless of whether you are powering the MBox 2 Pro with Firewire bus power or AC power?

I don't see anything in the documentation about what the different colors and states of the power light mean. Also, what does a "blinking" light indicate? It seems to mean that communication hasn't been established between the Pro Tools drivers and the MBox hardware...but I'm not 100 percent sure of that either.

Can Digi Tech support or another MBox 2 Pro user help clear this up and let me know what each of the various states indicates?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Alan
Old 07-07-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Power Indicator Light on MBox 2 Pro - Orange or Green?

Quote:
So...does the orange light mean simply that the MBox 2 Pro is getting bus power, and the green light means it's getting AC power
Hi Alan ...yes that's correct. Nothing to worry about, whether the AC power supply is connected or not on a desktop, a laptop might be a different story though, mainly due to the laptop battery supply.

filosofem