Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2009, 09:12 PM

Default MBox 2 Pro, no power at all...LED lights off.

Hi everyone, I have a PC and a Mac, and both have pro tools 8. I only have one MBox 2 Pro. What happened was I plugged my Mbox 2 pro into my mac laptop and did a little recording, powered everything off and switched my Mbox from my mac laptop to my PC when i was done. The MBox worked fine through the recording but once i plugged it into my PC, i had no power in the MBox. No LED's lit or anything. I have no idea what to do, I've done this plenty times before (switching from my mac to pc and vice versa) but this time something went wrong.

I've also tried the power cord that came with the MBox and still came up with nothing. I hope somebody can help. My warrenty is up and don't know what to do. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:20 PM

Default Re: MBox 2 Pro, no power at all...LED lights off.

I've had this happen before. It seems to occur when you switch between two different versions of Pro Tools, or from a system with one version of PT to another system with a different version of PT or the Core Audio driver. Each version uses a different firmware which gets loaded into the MBox 2 Pro when you start up the computer. So each time you boot up, it sort of takes the MBox 2 Pro "offline" while it loads in the appropriate firmware (if it's different from the last time you booted up), and during this time there are no LED lights. But if you wait a few minutes after booting up the computer, the LED lights should come back on. I freaked out when this happened too but it ended up being OK. Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:28 PM

Well, I have had the firewire cable plugged for quite a while now, and i still get no LED lights what-so-ever. tech. support's phones are down too. i suppose i'll just try again later.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminzayne View Post
...get no LED lights what-so-ever...
Wow, this just happen to me yesterday, I was installing ProTools 8, rebooted and when the system came back up no lights on the MBox2 Pro. I checked the voltage of the wall wart and it's working fine. Does anyone know if there an internal fuse? I assume that it has blown. How do you open one of these things?
Old 01-26-2009, 08:28 PM

I have had 4 mBox Pros do this to me over the last month all on Mac same PT version not moving around.

I have heard that they need the Firmware re-flashed by a PC. I'll be trying that later in the week and will report back.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-26-2009, 08:58 PM

I freaked out when this happened to me. I contacted digi support and posted on this forum. I was told to reboot the Mac with the Mbox plugged in - and that fixed it.

I sold the thing soon after, but not because of that .....
Old 02-02-2009, 11:28 AM

OK, plugging in on a PC worked for me, I'll try the MAC if it happiness again

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 02-02-2009, 11:53 AM

I had this happen when I switched from a PC to my Mac. Tech support told me that if you don't power the MBox down before you switch computers, it can become absolutely unresponsive. No power LED's, no nothing. I thought mine had blown up, but Tech support walked me though a super secrete re-boot that fixed me up.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRETAUDIO View Post
I had this happen when I switched from a PC to my Mac. Tech support told me that if you don't power the MBox down before you switch computers, it can become absolutely unresponsive. No power LED's, no nothing. I thought mine had blown up, but Tech support walked me though a super secrete re-boot that fixed me up.
What is that super secrete re-boot?? Please provide, I'm in need of something like that. I don't want to spend $200+ to get it repaired. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRETAUDIO View Post