Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 11-17-2013, 07:26 AM

Default Hardware noob here, can someone push me in the right direction?

Hello I recently switched to using Windows based hardware and have a couple simple questions that I hope can clear up some things for me. I know this is a Pro-tools forum but hopefully you all can at least show me a couple resources that will educate me on the hardware I'll need to use to produce music.

I plan on producing anything from midi orchestral music, to live jam sessions with my friends in our band.

Some of my questions... when answering these keep on mind I'm willing to dish out the cash necessary so I can get top quality sounds.

Clear up sound cards and audio interface's. Do people basically swap these terms? I'm assuming now a days I don't need a sound card in my pc, but an external audio interface is what does the job.

Do studio monitor speakers hook up to the audio interface?

If you know great websites for beginners that will be great!!!

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Hardware noob here, can someone push me in the right direction?

Yes and yes. You have come to the right place whether Windows or a Mac. The people on here are amazing. This might help with some stuff.

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com

Look around the site. I believe there is a hardware section.
Protools can now use your audio card in computer. Not the best of choices but until you get your interface and monitors you can just use the computers and it's speakers.

Others will chime in to help.

Disk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
protools@verizon.net

Live and Let Live
Old 11-17-2013, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Hardware noob here, can someone push me in the right direction?

People use the term "sound card" as a generic term that means audio interface.

This is because when this stuff first came on the market, before firewire and USB became viable, the only audio interfaces were PCI type cards that filled a slot in the computer (this was also when tower computers were most common, before the era of the Imac, etc.). So people still use the term sound card to mean audio interfaces in general.

When you get monitors, most of them nowadays are powered, meaning they have an amp inside them. So you would go line out from your audio interface to them.

As for training, there are tons of videos, both paid and free, all over the web.