Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 02-23-2003, 11:54 PM

Default Quick click setting question...

Hey there. I'd like to set my PT click to have a jazz or swing feel. Not being too educated in the rhythmic theory area, I have no idea how to do this (in the Tempo/Meter Change dialog window in 5.1.1). Could anyone respond with a quick tip? Just the basic, tizz tip tedizz, tip tedizz, tip tedizz, tip tedizz that would be played on the hi-hat or ride cymbal.

Thanks!!!
Old 02-24-2003, 06:28 AM

Default Re: Quick click setting question...

I don't think you should try this.

A click track with a swing feel would generally be an eighth-note click. Why would that be helpful? A quarter-note click is almost certainly easier to play with.

If you do a quarter-note click, it will have a straight feel so you don't need to do anything special on your end. And this is totally fine; it's the interaction between a straight pulse and swing eighths that creates the rhythmic push and pull of jazz.

Stick with quarter-note clicks, and your jazz artists will be just fine. That is, if they don't mind playing with a click in general...
Old 02-24-2003, 11:47 AM

I pretty much agree with the above, but I can imagine situations where you might want the click to imply the swing feel. The best way might be to have a quarter note click with an underlying triplet pulse. Take a look at the Metro click plugin from http://www.tllabs.com.

You could also record a MIDI sequence using hi-hat samples and quantize it to any swing percentage you like if true triplets aren't swingy enough.
HD 2 Accel
PT 7.1cs9
192 I/O
Old 02-24-2003, 11:12 PM

yo
if you had an audio click track instead of midi, then you can use beat detective to manually add a user defined amount of swing. do it to one bar of click...then repeat it. good-luck.